May 26th, 2008

Who gets second billing on the presidential ballot?

As the veepstakes heat up, CNN Political Producer Alan Silverleib weighs the pros and cons of 10 possible choices for each party - from the familiar figures to the dark horses.

Filed under: Veepstakes
  1. Y

Obama/Richardson
    or
    Obama/Me

May 26, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Eugene

Obama laid out the qualities he was looking for in a vice-president. If he stays with those goals, he will be building a solid foundation for the next four years. One of those qualities was integrity. If he leads in the polls now before the dust has settled, he could develop a large majority with a solid VP choice. Then all the mindless threats posted above will not matter a bit.

May 26, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. Ilona Proud Canadian

ANTIFLAKE,

What in the name of heavens do you expect Obama supporters to say!
    Do you think they should vote for Hillary, who has thrown so much mud at Barack, (not to mention her recent misspeak about the big "A") for the VP slot? You must not be living on this planet, Barack will have to hire an Army of bodyguards to protect him from all of Hillary's, Bill's, and now even Chelsea's shenanigans!

Even today in one of her wonderful interviews, she was asked a question., what did she say? It would be wrong to vote for Obama, then immediately corrected it to "Vote for McCain". This woman is all about herself and her family. Americans, please do good by your country! Denounce the Clintons!

May 26, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. Shirley/CA for Obama

Please not Hillary. Just about anyone else will do. My choice

Obama/Sebelius!

May 26, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. ridman

i think Sam Nunn will be the best vp for Senator Obama..

OBAMA/Nunn 08

May 26, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. jonny

Obama/Gore -08!!

May 26, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Honest man for Obama

Has Hillary Clinton found someone to do her dirty job on Obama yet?

She is waiting until June for possible disaster comes June against Obama when he is no more then she will get the nomination. Sorry Hillary you will not be in Obama ticket and Nothing will happen to him by God's grace. Amen. We pray for him and his family everyday and hours for protection and sense of leadership.

So, she has no plan to win the nomination unless something happen to Obama. Not funny guys, she need to be investigated and there should be more security in Obama's rallies.

Petty that a great woman end her bid for white house race with such a disgrace.

May 26, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. Lazarito

PLEASE OBAMA 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hillary is a confessed liar!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Geoff

Good for you "Marie in California" we really do not need your vote.
    We know you are an UNDERCOVER Republican. So no surprise here.

May 26, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Shirley/CA for Obama

To Richard Bell/Winston Salem, N.C. – Go right ahead and give McCain your vote. Wait and see what kind of a future Hill and Bill have afterwards. Many and I do mean many of Obama's supporters will NEVER let you forget it. I have family in N.C., CA, FL, TX and AL who feel just they same way I do. We will make sure it is the Clinton's last stand. You were never a democrat anyway so what difference does it make.

May 26, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. manik-bangladeshi

no hillaryyyy clinton

May 26, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  12. LA2NC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thenominee gets to pick their VP. So Obama can select the person that he feels will help him best govern this nation. If Senator Clinton had won the nomination, she would be entitled to make her selection, but thankfully, that is not the case.

Obama 08

May 26, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. tj in fla

Obama cannot win with Hillary. She is too polarizing and will not attract anyone other than her base which is quickly eroding the more she speaks. Her "hard working white american" voters will continue to vote against their own economic interests and vote for McCain or stay home on election day.

May 26, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. amtFresno,CA

obama/anyone NOT clinton. Why should Obama have to take Hillary as Veep? Bill is saying she should get the #2 spot, to show respect etc, etc. NO PLEASE. John Edwards, Webb, Richardson. No more Clinton reign.

May 26, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. frank

Evan Bayh

May 26, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. Susan

Alvin – you are right. But this year may be the Year of the Victim. Obama talks about change, but there is nothing in his background or reecord to indicate that he will nominate Hagel (or any Republican, Independent or moderate) for VP. McCain at least has a record of working with Liberals like Feingold and Kennedy. McCain/Crist 08

May 26, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. lex

I am so sick of the Clintons (plural) that I will probably seek residence in another country if I have to look at or hear either one of them on an ongoing basis after November...how can so much of the American public be so naive????? How? How? How?

May 26, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. on

I hope Hillary won't choose that walkie-talkie Obama for her spot No.2. Joe Biden or Bill would be far more better.

May 26, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Debra

For Obama I would like to see and Obama/Edwards ticket but don't think it will happen. If not Edwars I think Clark or Richardson. A few months ago I would have been all for Clinton but after the things that have come out of Bill and Hillary's mouth, no way do I want an Obama/Clinton ticket.

McCain, I really don't care but Crist would be a smart move

May 26, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Ann

This is in response to Kathy's question: As a member of the "under 30 generation", I am appalled by your post. I'm 24 years old, and have been involved in politics since before I was even old enough to vote. I know plenty of younger people who back other candidates besides Obama. Yes, he has the majority, but it is not solely made up of people under 30. You, as a citizen of the United States, have made your own decision as to whom you will be voting for in November. I believe that every other citizen of this country has the same right, so why don't you just let them exercise their rights? It doesn't matter who or what causes younger people to come out and cast their ballot. What matters is they are coming out and making their voices heard. It's true there are some who aren't as informed about the candidates and simply go with who they think is "cooler", but that isn't something that can be blamed on the younger generation alone. Reading through these CNN article comments, I've seen full grown adults saying things like "I don't agree with McCain's policies but I will vote for him to teach Democrats a lesson." or "I don't think America is ready for a black president." People are supposed to vote on who they think is best for their country, not to satisfy a grudge, or dismiss a candidate based on trivial things like race and gender. In closing, it's wrong of you to lump us all into a stereotype and brand us as a generation of mindless lemmings when people of your own generation are guilty of the same things, thus making you sound very bitter and hypocritical.

May 26, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  21. Former Hillary supporter

she needs to show a good faith on her part before she even get considered. she can be scary sometimes. :(

May 26, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Prakash

Whoever it may be....please...not Hillary!!! She is a liar....

Obama – get Al Gore!!!

May 26, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  23. APS in Hawaii

As for Obama's VP, does not matter, he will never get my vote!!! Go Hillary. Or I will vote for McCain as a protest vote and send a message to the DNC. Only the Democrats can snatch defeat from victory. They did it in 1988, 2000, and 2004.

May 26, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  24. Mariann Pepitone

llona: Don't worry about Obama having to be protected by Hillary he will need extra security to protect him if he gets elected president. And I don't mean from Hillary. Bill or Chelsea. And if you don't know what I mean your better think hard. JFK once said that if someone wants you they will get you sooner or later no matter what it takes. And him being part black makes it worse.

May 26, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |