May 27th, 2008

Obama uses Daschle to make blue-collar pitch in new SD spot

Barack Obama's campaign released a new ad staring Tom Daschle.
Barack Obama's campaign released a new ad staring Tom Daschle.

(CNN)—Barack Obama’s campaign has launched a new ad in South Dakota Tuesday aimed at shoring up his support among the working-class and rural voters that dominate Democratic politics in the state.

In the 30-second spot, former Sen. Tom Daschle says that Obama “is rooted in the same values as most South Dakotans. He has an understanding of America - rural and urban alike.”

The ad also makes an economic appeal to blue-collar voters suffering from the rising cost of food and gas: “Obama understands that squeeze,” says Daschle.

The spot also touts the Illinois senator’s support from two of the state’s top Democrats, Sen. Tim Johnson and Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin.

On Monday, the campaign also hit the airwaves with “Listening,” a one-minute spot featuring portions of his stump speech that has aired in other states throughout the primary season.

South Dakota voters head to the polls in one week, with 23 delegates at stake.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. NY

Is it just me? I see one BIG difference between Obama and Clinton supporters. Clinton supporter think long term and know that Obama does not stand a chance against McCain. Obama supporters are more focused on winning the nomination and don't care about losing to McCain. I understand that one has to win the nomination before facing McCain but of all the democrats and republicans I've talked to, people would rather vote for Clinton than McCain if Clinton faces McCain and would rather vote for McCain than Obama if Obama faces the nomination. I hope the Democratic party makes a wise decision rather than listening to charming speech of the "all talk no cow" or the inexperienced leader. I am sure Obama will be ready in another 4-8 years. 2008 is not the year for obama

May 27, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Brian Knoxville, TN

Felicia,

What has Barack done for African American communities to deserve their votes?

He used them in Chicago to advance his political career when he joined Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church.

And when he gave his victory speech in North Carolina he went out of his way to hide all the African Americans who voted for him, you know, all the people who helped him to win. Was there a single African American at that rally?

Bill and Hillary Clinton have done more for African Americans than Barack Obama ever has. What has he done for African American communities to deserve their vote, other than happening to be black himself?

HILLARY CLINTON '08

May 27, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Linda from Prescott

Okay, one more time! To those of you who insist that Obama cannot win the rural vote, keep in mind at this time it's dem to dem....in the general its dem to republican and the rural communities will come out for Obama in the end.

Thanks Senator Daschle for supporting Senator Obama, with your help and the party pulling as one Obama will be victorious...................
    Thus the US will be victorious.

May 27, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Realistic

Obama is the weaker choice who will not win the nomination in November. The Democratic primary selection is flawed and needs major reconstruction so that the weaker candidate will not come out ahead again in the future. There's no way someone with so little experience will fool everyone in November trust me! For now, it looks likes the Republicans will win again in November.

May 27, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Karen in Fla

Many bloggers have said it makes no sense to be a Hillary supporter and threaten to vote for McCain if the nom goes to Obama. Let me explain why I feel that way. 7 1/2 years ago we had a candidate that spoke of change (much like Obama) and had very little experience in Politics since the Governor in Texas is largely powerless (much like Obama) yet some people raved about change and voted for him. Not me, mind you – I've never trusted him. We all know what the last 7 1/2 years have been like. I have NEVER been a supporter of Bush – even when his so-called ratings were in the high 70s.

Well this feels JUST the SAME to me. Obama supporters are rude, nasty, and acting very entitled trying to shove Hillary out of the race prematurely. None seem able to do the math each week they proclaim his is the winner. Well, the bottom line is I don't want another newbie in the White House who will likely make things much worse than they already are. So when I say I will vote for McCain it is because I believe that it will take someone with strong experience – not an empty suit who will take the equivalent of a "present" vote once in the oval office. You say we can't afford another 4-8 years of a Republican in the White House. I say we can't afford another individual who has nothing more than great speeches.

To those who are STILL dragging up Monica Lewinsky, GROW UP. Why anyone would want to skewer Hillary for staying in her marriage is beyond me. It is a PERSONAL choice and until you have faced it yourself – shut up about it. If you want to muckrake old business, let's talk about the Kennedy's and Marilyn Monroe or Chappaquiddik. The only reason we don't have as much to talk about with Obama is that he hasn't been in the limelight as long. And the only reason to have rushed this process as his supporters have tried to do, is because you must be afraid there is more to come out about him. Why else would you be so nasty about anyone with a differing view from yours? Why else would you so rabidly want to deny others their right to vote? They seem to be the same people getting snotty about the Florida Michigan mess. Well, I live in Florida. I voted. My vote should be counted. Why are you so afraid of that happening???

May 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. rosie

Obama, I love you, it is all about race, Americans must know that God is in control and no matter who you are, we are all the same in the eyes of God. You will win this nomination, to show the world that no matter who you are , we are all the same. Clinton is very prejudiceand her tartics will not work. I am praying for you, God is on your side. I will vote for you in this coming election in November, 2008.

Love Rosie.

May 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Canadian Interest

Mike in NYC:
    We all have get CNN here. Our socialist government allows us to see CNN and FOX and BBC and all sorts of stuff.
    Although the US election is in many senses a strictly US affair, it is also an international affair. You as an American get a vote and influence the world as a result, but remember that when the US catches cold Canadians catch pneumonia. Canadians in general follow your politics very very closely and from what I see in these blogs many of us know your system and political dynamics much better than many of your own citizens. In all seriousness, please forgive us if we are overly intrusive, but remember that the world is watching!

May 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Angelo Ct.

Why should someone who may very well win the popular vote withdraw from the elections ? I know the talkings liberal heads say so !!! And of course they know best. The fact the Obama early on was never criticized or vetted is why he won the early primaries. I am a democrat and will be casting my vote for Mcain in the general election.I know the college kids love him but unfortunately they never worked a day in their lives or payed taxes their mommies & daddies take care of that for them.

May 27, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. Dedrick Guyton

Thank you, Mr. Daschle! Let's get this thing over already! The rules were broken early in the game when Senator Clinton presumed she'd be a front runner in the Democratic contest. Now that she's obviously not that – on any front – we suddenly so desperately want to count MI & FL as they voted, which makes no sense since the other contenders removed their name from the ballot. FL voters went into their precincts – or not – believing their votes would not matter because the RULES said wait or be stripped.

This is not something you can blame Senator Obama for no matter how you twist and turn it. Hillary has planned poorly and has essentially lost the Democratic contest. It not so much to her discredit as it is that Obama should be applauded for running a race of great stature. Let PRESIDENT OBAMA win and stop proclaiming that these last ditch efforts are to unite the party. The party wants a nominee that we can put immediately against Senator McCain. Let's go Hillary...be the great uniter you claim to be and support Obama's candidacy for the General Election!

OBAMA 08!!! CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE!!!!

May 27, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |