May 28th, 2008

Clinton: Obama more likely to lose

Clinton campaigned in Montana Tuesday.
Clinton campaigned in Montana Tuesday.

(CNN) – With only three primary contests remaining in the prolonged race for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton is stepping up her efforts to convince potential voters and the party's superdelegates that she is a stronger general election candidate than Barack Obama.

In a particularly spirited speech Tuesday night at a Montana campaign event, the New York Senator suggested Obama is much more likely to lose to presumptive Republican nominee John McCain next fall.

"We have not gone through this exciting unprecedented historic election only to lose," Clinton said at an event in Billings, Montana.

"You have to ask yourself who is the stronger candidate?" she continued. "And based on every analysis of every bit of research and every poll that’s been taken and every state that a democrat has to win, I am the stronger candidate against John McCain in the fall."

It was not immediately clear which polls and states Clinton was specifically referencing.

Recent polls out of the crucial swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida have indicated she has a better chance of beating McCain in those places than Barack Obama. But the Illinois senator performs better is several other swing states that Democrats have historically had difficulty winning, such as New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado.

1. victor

D Frank GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Rules are rules and you just don't change them to serve your own purpose. GOD everyone knew the rules THEY KNEW THEM. Now the rules don't suit there needs so they start crying. GIVE ME A BREAK. FACE UP TO YOUR STUPIDITY AND ACCEPT WHATEVER THE DNC GIVES YOU.

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. Chuck R

Right now the people who have the ability to take a night off of work or leave their family for the evening have given this nomination to Obama. His entire lead comes from the more than 150 votes he picked up in the caucus states. Hillary has won more delegates from the states that held primaries than Obama. That is just to fact. The voteres want Clinton. As we saw in Texas the caucuses have nothing to do with the will of the voters.

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. Marc, Toronto

And Hillary contends that she is not doing harm to the Democrats by staying in this race.

Bill and Hillary Clinton's policy is to follow the adage "desperate times calls for desperate measures.

She for sure just took herself off Obama's ticket.

The electoral map will change drastically this year. Many states will change colors – not just the traditional swing states.

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  4. Justme WV

Lets just say Sen Obama does lose in November -( I believe wholeheartly that he will win) Has he not earned the right to lose?

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  5. Ed from VA

Stop dreaming lady (and I'm seriously using that term loosely!)

Just because you feel some since of entitlement to the White House doesn't mean that the rest of us have to share your fantasy. I mean your husband is even hinting that your daughter may go into politics. I know you all have delusions of grandeur and that you will some how create some political dynasty...but it's time to face reality and realize that it's not a dream deferred....it's a DREAM that's OVER!

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  6. bill from pa

She may as well keep going and destroy Obama. What's her legacy? Fuzzy math, break the rules to suit yourself, lies about being under sniper attack, and brought peace to Ireland.

This woman is a bigger liar than her husband. Wait until after the elections when the Paul vs Clinton fraud case goes into full bore. The dems will be grateful they didn't listen to this pathetic excuse for a human being.

May 28, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  7. Tom - Canada

As an outsider:
    Sounds like Politcal Suicide for the Democrats. I suspect that Hillary realizes that she cannot win the Demcratic Race, expects/hopes Obama to lose to McCain the Presidential Race which sets her up for '12.
    P.S. – What ever is decided in the upcoming DNC, it will be a lose/lose situation for the Democrats.

May 28, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  8. Chris M.

Hillary and McCain have what I like to call the "I-me-my syndrome". It's visible here as much as it's been visible elsewhere.

"I am the stronger candidate against John McCain in the fall."

"I" am the stronger candidate. That's part of what's proving her to be otherwise.

May 28, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  9. Hillary all the way

Hillary IS the best option to run against McCain - If Obama faces McCain he will get crushed. The idea of someone with so little experience running our country scares me to the point that if Obama faced McCain in the general election, I would probably vote for McCain. Obama has NO chance against McCain.

May 28, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  10. jfs Memhis, Tn

If Obama is nominated and the Democrats lose in NOV. There are but two reasons for the lose............ Hillary and Bill Clinton. That will go down in the History Books and that will be the reason that the Democratic Party will turn thier backs on this team of crooks.

May 28, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Kim

The analysis, the research and the polls are all in SOMEONE TEACH HILLARY to Read

12. No more Rigged Elections in America

I think it is Hillarious that Obama thinks he can win when he has blocked revotes in MI and FL.

Other swing states that Hillary can win: AR, WV, KY, and MO.

Hillary is the stronger candidate.

My family and I are all voting McCain if Obama is the nominee. Obama is just too liberal and he keeps flip flopping on his foreign policy.

Hillary 08

13. nothing but the facts

HILLARY, IS TIME TO GO....YOU CAN NOT GET RID OF OBAMA, HOW IN HEAVENS YOU THINK YOU THINK YOU CAN GET TO MC CAIN?
    Stop thinking you are the best....you "were" in your time... but these are new times and we need new ideas,
    When we hire people in an office we always look for people that bring new ideas, ways to do things, to improve ways to get ahead! Go back to the Senate and do the work... That's were you belong!!

14. wwf

To all Clinton supporters. If Hillary is the stronger candidate, why is she loosing. Why is this even a contest? Why did she not kick his butt by Super Tuesday? Just a couple of quesions I would like you to answer truthfully.

15. Charles, QC

Like many people said, she just change her taliking all the times, she said Obama can win, if you win by 1 pts or by 5 ( in her math ) does it matters, you still win. She can't defeat Obama in the primary, she will not beat McCain a war hero who went under sniper fire. Obama has more chance of taking southern States and all traditionnal Democratic states.

Obama President of North America

16. NY for Obama

Is this woman nuts?!# She signs an agreement to disenfranchise two states because they held their elections too soon; she loses 12 states in a row, then and only then does she talk about the poor people who's votes won't be counted in MI and FL. What about the people who didn't vote because they were told that the polls had been canceled? What about Obama not being on the ballot in MI because he was told that they would not count? Why was HRC the only one who left her name on the ballot when all the other candidates took their names off? Cheaters never win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. ALECO1 -----NOKOMIS,FL

HILLARY CAN'T EVEN BEAT AN UNKNOWN OBAMA, HOW DOES SHE THINK SHE COULD BEAT McCAIN.--IT ALL OVER HILLARY, BUY A NEW PANTS SUIT AND HEAD FOR HOME.

18. David

Wow... way to unite the party. What's she going to say when she's officially done and Obama is the nominee? Or will she just slink off to a cave somewhere and we'll never hear from her again?

I think Clinton's new slogan should be "I'm going down, and I'm taking everyone with me!"

19. Long Time Democrat

This Democrat is going to vote McCain or write in Hillary over Obama. Once again I am going to have to hold my nose and vote. 40 years in the party, precinct manager, contributor. I am changing my party to Independent. The elders of the Democratic party, DNC and leadership have in my opinion conspired to elect Obama over Clinton, and will continue to do so because they do not want a woman, any woman to be President. Will someone, anyone start to put an Independent Party together that really wants to serve the American people????

News flash for all of you Obama supporters--–he is the same as every other politician!!!!!!!

20. indygal

Nope she does not give up... and all you Obama supporters will wish you had paid attention to her.

21. Charles

John Mc.Cain said he will never give up in Iraq. But- he gave up in Vietnam. he surrendered in Vietnam, he gave up and became a P.O.W. Why did he not fight to the end. NO he gave up. Now he is not on the front line he is telling the young men in Iraq not to give up when he did, Mc Cain is not on the front line in Iraq with a gun in his hand, if he was he would give up again.

22. Ed (New Orleans)

If she doesn't get the nomination she should break with the party and run as an independent. I made my choice long ago and if I can't vote for her, I plan to vote for McCain.

23. Gabrielle, Lancaster SC

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. O

Obama '08

24. Rob

according to the official rules that were agreed upon by every candidate Obama has wrapped up the nomination.
    I am sorry Hillary but denial doesn't win elections.

May 28, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. Kinneh Kantara

I live abroad and even though I am not an Ameican I love and respect America not only because I studied there but I think it is a great country. However, I can't understand the deception of the Clitons and the impression they are trying to convey. I think someone need to give them a good advise to stop before they do more damage in their standing to the outside world especially with people who have always respected and supported them.

May 28, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |