May 28th, 2008

Clinton: Obama more likely to lose

Clinton campaigned in Montana Tuesday.
Clinton campaigned in Montana Tuesday.

(CNN) – With only three primary contests remaining in the prolonged race for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton is stepping up her efforts to convince potential voters and the party's superdelegates that she is a stronger general election candidate than Barack Obama.

In a particularly spirited speech Tuesday night at a Montana campaign event, the New York Senator suggested Obama is much more likely to lose to presumptive Republican nominee John McCain next fall.

"We have not gone through this exciting unprecedented historic election only to lose," Clinton said at an event in Billings, Montana.

"You have to ask yourself who is the stronger candidate?" she continued. "And based on every analysis of every bit of research and every poll that’s been taken and every state that a democrat has to win, I am the stronger candidate against John McCain in the fall."

It was not immediately clear which polls and states Clinton was specifically referencing.

Recent polls out of the crucial swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida have indicated she has a better chance of beating McCain in those places than Barack Obama. But the Illinois senator performs better is several other swing states that Democrats have historically had difficulty winning, such as New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado.

1. steve gilbert

She calls herself a "fighter" but this is ridiculous. She doesn't pick the right battles!

Plus, I don't want a fighter. We've had that for 8 years.

I want a leader.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. New York, NY

Frankly I am disappointed. I used to have deep respect for Senator Clinton, but these kamikaze tactics will only hurt her in the future. She believes she has tapped into some reservoir of support, but here's the rub: divisions dont win Presidencies and there are other viable women candidates in the future. It is time for her to go back to work in the Senate. Take a moment to review what went right, what went wrong and where you can best serve the nation.

We want to love you Senator Clinton, but you and Bill are showing us that you can help yourselves to a large political pie but not your party and the nation.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. char19145

Hillary's baggage has been rummaged through on national television over and over again. The media, especially Matthews and Olberman, have been chomping at the bit for this moment. Olberman especially wouldn;t last 30 minutes with her, she would put him in his place, I beleive it is below neandrathal. But, she stood tall, took all that was thrown at her and still remained standing. Obama cries, whines, stamps his feet like a 2 year old. What about Obama;s baggage??? Or is it a Pandora's box???? So far, Wright has gotten out, Ayers, Rezko, and of course the possible first lady(?) and I use that word loosely. THere is more to him that meets the eye. SOmething's not right.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. George

It seems the dems. are ready to lose with a man rather than win with a woman. How shameful disgusting. Flocking over empty suit just because the better, smarter and experienced candidate is a woman.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. Denice, PA

I am glad to see some people who realize what this election is really about. Not Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, but us and the future of country. Who is best prepared to correct the direction of our country and has won according to the rules? Obama. Those who hate him and accuse him of terrible things haven't been paying attention. His supporters get angry on the blogs but he tends to remain calm. Hopefully, enough forward thinking people will vote so we can move forward as a country.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. Amy Jacobson

She's right so let's make sure Obama wins to keep the white house in Republican hands :-)

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. Ryan

I think she's right. And I'll vote for McCain over Obama. I'd also pick McCain over her, but I think her point is valid. And it's nothing for people to get pissed about. She can say what she wants.

May 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. SHAWN

Senator Clinton, No lie lives forever.

9. noMcBush, cambridge, MA

Oops, she lied again.

10. Mk

Here is MY question. Could Clinton have any speck of a chance of winning anything without the BLACK vote?? Cuzzz she and her husband have lost that.
    Why don't we discuss that in all of these stories???

11. Connie

Clinton has blown out enough hot air that her pants should have inflated and carried her to Mars.

12. Nanette, OH

If she's doing so well, why did she lose? Please don't believe her lies or a vast right or left conspiracy. Vote smart–vote for Barack.

I hope Barack doesn't give in just to get rid of her, I will accept her staying in the race until December if her part of the bargain is being the VP. That would never sit well with me. I don't even want her near Barack.

And how insulting is Ed Rendell, saying that he would consider the VP slot or try to talk Barack out of asking him, if Barack were to come to HIM. I said "You little snot, who made you God". I can't stand him. He's the first person who said whites would never vote for blacks and he had a smirk on his face when he said it. I don't like racist and that's why I'm voting for the person who wants everyone at the table, not just a priveledge few.

We didn't send all this money to Barack just so he could put the face of hate–Hillary on his ticket.

13. Stevo

Hillary, you said the same thing in Iowa, Ohio, Penn, N.C., Indiana, Kentucky, WV and you still don't get it. You are losing!!!!

You agreed to the rules and now you want to change them to suit you and Bill. Stop It, we've had enough already. I wanted you to be the Veep to continue our run in the White House. But you are a sore loser and can't be trusted!

Obama / Webb 08'

14. Cammi317

I just went to Hillary's and Obama's websites and there is NOTHING about a delegate from the Virgin Islands switching back to her on either sites. There are, however, 3 NEW SUPERS FOR OBAMA today.

15. Katherine from Oregon

Okay, Superdelegates, can we please just shut this desperate woman up?!!

16. ANGRY BLACK VOTER

WE THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY WILL NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER CLINTON AGAIN.

NO DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE WINS WITHOUT US. GO AHEAD GIVE HILLARY THE NOMINATION AND WATCH McCAIN WIN THE ELECTION.

A VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON IS A VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN.

17. steven

To Clinton supporters, who are die-hard Clinton supporters have you forgot that this is not about Obama or Clinton but the Dem. party. I myself am a Democrat who think that gas is too high,men and women are dieing in Iraq, people are losing there homes, education is at a all time high and Bush has put us in a tillion dollar hole. How many of you have to work two or three jobs just to make ends meet, and all you can think about is your hurt feelings because Obama is winning who is also a Democrat who in many ways share the same views as Hillary, but what is your anger really being fuel by. Why would you vote for McCain are not even vote for Obama. In a CONTEST there is a winners and losers the game dont change but are you really willing to send your kids to war at 17 with no V.A benefits are a good life to come home too. Maybe you should stop the oh Hillary line and go Rep. we would understand. you vote on issues not feelings do the math and stop the crying gas just went up another penny but i guess that's not important, Hillary say that she is being bullied that is. Sounds like sexism or racism you choose

18. Reality

IT's ALL ABOUT HILLIARY !! She doesnt care about this country, she cares about herself and Bill cares about his legacy. SELFISHNESS !!!

Its a shame that they are showing their true true colors. I used to really like Bill Clinton and Hilliary. Sad Sad Sad

19. Chitty Mwewa

It`s ok for you to keep running Hill, but please stop with the Agitating talk. Don`t burn bridges.

20. Frank

I was open at the beginning of the season, as I really liked BOTH candidates, having been a big fan of Bill, I tended toward Hillary, but as this has gone on and the way she's conducted the campaign I just cannot feel positive toward her.

Ultimately its just sad that its gotten to this point. I won't Bash Hillary, I'm just very disappointed in her and Bill they have lost this and it's they own fault.

Some say she doesn't give up because too many people believe that SHE IS THE STRONGER one to beat McCain. IT'S NOT TRUE!!

HILLARY, WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS, IF YOU ARE A SO CALLED "BETTER CANDIDATE", MORE EXPERIENCED, AND ALL THE ABOVE, HOW COME YOU CAN'T BEAT OBAMA, A ROOKIE IN POLITICS, IN A PRIMARY ELECTION??? HOW COME YOU ARE OUT OF MONEY. HOW COME YOU HAVE TO USE THE KITCHEN SINK.. HE HAS NOT?

HOW CAN U BE A STRONGER CANDIDATE IF YOU HAVE LOOSING EVERY CATEGORY IN THE ELECTION PROCESS LIKE PLEDGED DELEGATES, SUPERDELEGATES, STATES WON, POPULAR VOTE(INCLUDE MI AND FL, BUT ALSO CAUCAUS STATES). GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I'M NOT BUYING IT

21. charles

If Hillary thinks Obama will lose to McCain, what makes her think she can beat McCain when she can't win over Obama? Can someone tell me where's the logic in that? Go back to Arkansas Billary. Maybe you can run for Governor.

22. Independant

As near as I can figure, liberals and democrats were placed on the earth for my own personal amusement.

23. sixseven1

CAN YOU SEE HILL AND BILL BAC IN OUR HOUSE ( WHITE HOUSE ) ? KNOWN THIEVES AND A SEX OFFENDER AND NEITHER WITH ANY MORAL SO BE CAREFUL OF BODY BAGS .

May 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. John Karsten, Virginia Beach, VA

She cares nothing for you or your family. As we have seen this primary season, she will do/say/lie/cheat anything to get back into the WH. I want no part of this woman running my country. Obama has won, plain and simple. Sorry hillbots, get over it and join your party that you say you are a part of.

May 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. karen

Hillary sounds like she is on McCain's side. Do anything to make sure a democrate does not get into the White House. The DNC needs to shut her up!!!!!! She's not only destroying her political career but that of her husband and all democrates alike!!! Hillary get out!!!

May 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |