May 28th, 2008

Clinton says she expects lead in popular vote, primary delegates

ALT TEXT

Clinton is stepping up her argument to superdelegates. (AP Photo)

EN ROUTE TO KYLE, South Dakota (CNN) - In a letter sent to superdelegates Wednesday, Hillary Clinton contends neither she nor Senator Barack Obama will have the required number of delegates to clinch the nomination after Montana and South Dakota vote next Tuesday, leaving it up to party insiders to put one of them over the top.

“When the primaries are finished, I expect to lead in the popular vote and in delegates earned through primaries … I hope you will consider not just the strength of the coalition backing me, but also that more people will have cast their votes for me,” she wrote, as she continued to press her case that the race was far from over.

Read Clinton's letter and memo to the undecided superdelegates [PDFs]

Clinton, who has not fared well in most caucus votes this year, has dismissed results from those states for much of the campaign, saying the method disenfranchises too many voters.

In addition to the letter, the Clinton campaign also sent along “electoral and polling” analysis - including an electoral map analysis from Karl Rove and Co. - showing her in a better position to take on the Republican nominee in November. The packet was sent to superdelegates in advance of Saturday’s meeting of the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws committee where the fate of the Florida and Michigan delegations will be decided.

“We have not gone through this exciting, unprecedented, historic election only to lose,” Clinton told a crowd in Billings, Montana Tuesday. “Based on every analysis of every bit of research and every poll that’s been taken and every state that a Democrat has to win, I am the stronger candidate against John McCain this fall.”

Several weeks ago, her campaign sent a similar analysis of her electoral strength in tough congressional districts to Democratic members of Congress and other superdelegates.

Wednesday morning, Clinton took a brief tour of Mount Rushmore before heading out on a two-day swing across South Dakota. When asked by reporters whether she could see either herself or former President Bill Clinton added to the monument, she rolled her eyes and semi-playfully urged reporters to “go learn something” about the majestic structure.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. David

Isn't it good we found out what a nut job she really is before she became president. It's over sweetie. You lost.

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. No Hillary

Very funny jock... I laught about it a lot ... thanks Hillary...

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. Stephina

Obama will never be President of the United States. I am very surprised at any person who believes that he could be and to those who do, you all are very very NAIVE!!!!

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. KMAN

Hillary ... don't forget your sizeable lead among fat-butted women in pant suits who mindlessly support you regardless of facts all the while turning a blind eye to the reality of 2008 ... it ain't you babe!!

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. White/female/age 55/Texan

I think something the superdelegates should remember is this: if they overturn the will of the people there will be rioting in the streets.

BTW – I voted in the Texas two step caucus and I am not a left wing liberal – I only just (2006) started voting democratic.

signed a republican that has seen the light!!

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. SHIRLEY-OHIO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, SHE IS THINKING RECKLESSLY

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. mama4obama

This woman frustrates me to no end! My neighbors son is on medication for this exact kind of behavior.

OBAMA 08

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. american in canada

can someone explain to me why the primary votes should be counted, but the caucus votes should not?
    obama 08 !!!!!!!

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  9. YES WE CAN

Hillary needs to take whatever money she has left of her $100 million and go home. The people in NY don't want her to come back.

Hillary said the votes in MI & FL didn't matter on the paper she signed.
    Hillary said the primary would be over in February 2008.
    Hillary underestimated her opponent and the people.
    Hillary's word is not worth anything. How can any of her follwerr's trust her. She is just using you. Wake up!!!!
    Hillary does have a 58% dis-approval rating on being dis-honest and untrustworthy. That is the one catagory she is winning on!

Super Delegates please put an end to this. Cast your votes before the entire party is torn apart and we do loose in November. Hillary is so evil. She doesn't own you and it is not her birth right to be President because she is a Clinton. She is consumed with her EGO and wanting POWER,

A 60 yr old w/female Republican voting for Barack Obama and proud of it and proud of him

YES WE CAN – WHEN WE UNITE.

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Sam

Give it up. On the one hand you claim that all states should count, but your popular vote count counts only 37 states....how pathetic can this get!!!!!!

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. Linda

Witnessing the behaviors of both Hillary and Bill Clinton these past few months, I'm disgusted and outraged! Hillary, if you aren't able to deal with reality now, how will you deal with reality while in office? You feel for some reason that rules are for everyone but you, when you yourself agreed to the terms of Michigan and Florida.

I don't understand why you are delaying the inevitable. Hillary, you come across as a conniving, lying, deceiving, sniffling woman with an axe to grind. I had no idea you were like that (although rumors did suggest this). Your way or the highway at all cost. I for one don't want anyone like that representing the USA in the highest office in this land – President.

It's time to hang up the pantsuits and take a vacation to a far-away land to get recharged. It's becoming draining to listen to you!

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Marie-Lynn

THIS IS CLEAR NOW, SHE REALLY WANTS TO AVOID THE TRIAL IN NOVEMBER IN THE CASE 'PAUL VS CLINTON' NOW I KNOW WHY PETER PAUL SAID THAT LADY IS DANGEROUS FOR THE USA AND THE WORLD. I BELIEVE HIM MORE THAN EVER, SHE JUST PROOVE IT..

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. Bola

Hillary one thing you need to know is that. in any game there must be a winner and a looser, that is what make game to be game. And in politics there must be a winner and a losser. Obama has won this game..... May be the next game with Mc cain Bush he Obama will loos is not your problem you are not God that know all things .
    Go back to new york and enjoy yourself for its too late to cry

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. JB

I find it amusing that so many Hillary fans get mad at people who criticize Hillary.

Like Maggie "they have called you so many names, it's awful. How dare they"

Hey Maggie, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, IT IS A DUCK!!!

In this age of "I am not responsible for my own actions" with law suits left and right, this is just another example of people not willing to accept the truth.

MY RECOMMENDATION FOR ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS:

Let's stop commenting on these ridiculous comments that Hillary makes. It almost validates them. I know it's fun to rebuke them and her idiotic supporters (SHE HAS MORE POPULAR VOTE????) but maybe we shoudl just start paying attention to McCain. Let her fade away.

And by the way, popular vote is not the metric that determines the winner. Play by the rules you babies!!! Hillary even said this early on!

Finally, an average of all polls has Obama up, and even if he wasn't, anyone recall the polling in 1992 prior to the GE? Bill was getting killed by George Bush!

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. GB

The caucases should not count because people were afraid to go. They were intimidated and freightened in most cases.

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  16. Marcus B.

I think it is so funny that Obama supporters are called a "cult," "Obamabots," and all these other insults for believing in our candidate, yet, Hillary Clinton supporters get a new logic everyday. They don't even get a straight forward path to the White House from their candidate, but we're the cult?!?!?!?!?!?! We have been given the same message from the start, and Clintonians have been lied to from the start. Riddle me this...She goes from FL and MI won't count, to I need FL and MI to be seated fully at the risk disenfranchising voters, to count every vote but not the 1,000,000 people that voted in caucuses. How can you make an argument about disenfranchising voters by disenfranchising voters????? She's stupid, and her supporters are stupid if they listen to this mess!!!

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. bluebird

Sen. Obama is hungry for power that he hasn't even earned through a full senate term. What's he got on his resume except a community organizer and an adjunt lecturer position at some law school. Jeez. He's such a phoney baloney

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  18. Desmond Sequeira

CLINTON'S LATEST GARBAGE IS MORE SICK THAN SICK. OF COURSE, SHE IS NOT IN THE RACE TO LOSE! SHE INTENDS TO " WIN" BY TRYING TO SABOTAGE OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY UPFRONT.
    AND SHE HAS GOT TO BE SILLY AND INSULTING TO THINK THAT THE SUPERDELEGATES AND ALMOST EVERYBODY ELSE DO NOT SEE THROUGH HER AND HER HUSBAND'S DESPERATE TIRADES. IT WILL A SHAME IF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TOLERATES THIS.

May 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Mack

Walt, you want to be in the head of a Hillary supporter, that's funny. We can all fit in there, since it is a totally empty space. I usually say to myself that the clinton supporters must be braindead, but that would elude to them having a brain to start with.

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. 35 Southbound

I now begin all my blogs with the same preface, if Clinton is to be the nominee I will vote for her, with that said,

I thought for a while that she may be positioning herself for the top spot in the Senate, VP, Govenor, or even possibly a nod to become a Justice. That was two weeks ago when she was civil and running that "week" of decent campaigning. I am not thoroughly convinced she is in it for herself, how her supporters don't see that mind boggles me, they must be in it for themselves as well. This is a selfish person and selfish group of people. I hope our children of this country are not taught to grow as this Clinton Campaign has, it's okay to lie, it's okay to break the rules, as long as it is self serving. What she wants is the Presidancy, any way she can, doen't matter what the rules say, doesn't matter what her party affiliation is, and as much as she will stir MI and FL, it doesn't matter what the people say (She stirs those voters up and then in the same breath says the superdelegates need to make the decision). Clinton supporters, keep on keeping on, shrug off her character, it's cool, change the game, good lesson for our future generations. She will run as an Independant if not as Dem, I mean why not, there is a cover up going on here in the Dem party, I am sure they aren't talking Primary exit stratedgy, they are probably talking party exit stratedgy. Clinton bloggers, can any of you give me a clear, unbiased reason why you support her and how it is so easy for you to shrug off the rules and the lies, anyone???

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Marcus B. POST MY COMMENT

I think it is so funny that Obama supporters are called a "cult," "Obamabots," and all these other insults for believing in our candidate, yet, Hillary Clinton supporters get a new logic everyday. They don't even get a straight forward path to the White House from their candidate, but we're the cult?!?!?!?!?!?! We have been given the same message from the start, and Clintonians have been lied to from the start. Riddle me this…She goes from FL and MI won't count, to I need FL and MI to be seated fully at the risk disenfranchising voters, to count every vote but not the 1,000,000 people that voted in caucuses. How can you make an argument about disenfranchising voters by disenfranchising voters????? She's stupid, and her supporters are stupid if they listen to this mess!!!

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  22. Mike D

Wake up HillBilly fans, she is losing. I'm sorry that her uneducated followers cannot do the math for themselves and depend on her to tell them. So I'll help you out, Hillary -$20,000,000.00 in debt. That BIG number is 20 Million dollars... follow me? If Hillary doesn't win over Obama, Hillary loses that money. So, Hillary makes up stuff to deceive her mindless followers and to create con-tro-versy. Sorry, I'll try to refrain from using big words.

Bottom line, don't let her confuse you. If Hillary was winning, then she wouldn't be losing. Only cheaters try and change the rules in order to win. Her and Bill cannot be trusted. Ever!

Obama 08!

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  23. Deb

The folks, who voted for Hillary once, will again.

The folks that voted for Obama once, after we got to know him especially with Rev. Wright, will not vote for him again.

He is now known as a

"Left Wing Nut Job in Training Pants!"

I predict if he becomes the Nominee he will break McGovern’s dismal record of 17 electoral votes with much less-his cult following isn't main stream at all!

Hillary 08

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. Independent99999

She thinks she can FOOL Super Delegates with her LIES now.

Clintons = LIES

They lie every way. They twist rules. They twist facts.

Last thing we need in a President now is a LIAR LIAR LIAR

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Maria

Fair is fair, and I think Obama wouldn't want to win any other way then to have the democatic process play out as it was designed to.

May 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |