May 28th, 2008

Clinton says she expects lead in popular vote, primary delegates

ALT TEXT

Clinton is stepping up her argument to superdelegates. (AP Photo)

EN ROUTE TO KYLE, South Dakota (CNN) - In a letter sent to superdelegates Wednesday, Hillary Clinton contends neither she nor Senator Barack Obama will have the required number of delegates to clinch the nomination after Montana and South Dakota vote next Tuesday, leaving it up to party insiders to put one of them over the top.

“When the primaries are finished, I expect to lead in the popular vote and in delegates earned through primaries … I hope you will consider not just the strength of the coalition backing me, but also that more people will have cast their votes for me,” she wrote, as she continued to press her case that the race was far from over.

Read Clinton's letter and memo to the undecided superdelegates [PDFs]

Clinton, who has not fared well in most caucus votes this year, has dismissed results from those states for much of the campaign, saying the method disenfranchises too many voters.

In addition to the letter, the Clinton campaign also sent along “electoral and polling” analysis - including an electoral map analysis from Karl Rove and Co. - showing her in a better position to take on the Republican nominee in November. The packet was sent to superdelegates in advance of Saturday’s meeting of the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws committee where the fate of the Florida and Michigan delegations will be decided.

“We have not gone through this exciting, unprecedented, historic election only to lose,” Clinton told a crowd in Billings, Montana Tuesday. “Based on every analysis of every bit of research and every poll that’s been taken and every state that a Democrat has to win, I am the stronger candidate against John McCain this fall.”

Several weeks ago, her campaign sent a similar analysis of her electoral strength in tough congressional districts to Democratic members of Congress and other superdelegates.

Wednesday morning, Clinton took a brief tour of Mount Rushmore before heading out on a two-day swing across South Dakota. When asked by reporters whether she could see either herself or former President Bill Clinton added to the monument, she rolled her eyes and semi-playfully urged reporters to “go learn something” about the majestic structure.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. DOH!!!

You got to know when to hold'm. Know when to fold'm. Know when to walk away. Know when to run. Senator Clinton has LEFT THE BUILDING.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. Stephen

What is it going to be on Thursday? She's won in all the states that have the word "New" in the name. Therefore she's stronger against McCain.

I think you've lost it Hillary!

Superdelegates are not that crazy

"President Obama"

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Sylvia

She doesn't even have the lead in popular votes.

What a piece of work. Ya gotta love her supporters, they are so gullible. She will lie and her challenged supporters will believe whatever she tells them. Okay Hillary, yes you are leading all the way to the looney bin.

Whatever Hillary wants, don't give it to her, she doesn't deserve it.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Aliou FL

I am sorry, I got carried away. Crazy is not the word to use. she is out o f the world alright.

Why can't Mrs. Clinton just let go? this is surreal!!!!!

That fight should have been before she started the negative. She should have fought to change the rules before she engaged in this process. Once you accept , you are engaged by the rules that govern the election as it is. You can't change in after the fact. I thought you were more intelligent than what you are showing now.

that makes me understand how the bushes and the clintons have in common and why they are such buddies: There is a mad side of them that makes them think they are a unique type of people, above the law and above anyone else.

Well, reality is setting in: You are just an ordinary American, and american laws, party laws and rules apply to all constituents, even the ex presidents and their wives.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. LT for Obama

It is stealing if I actually did not go out and vote and they said I did and voted for him. I did go out and vote and I cast it for Obama. It is not stealing if I make the choice.

Admit that she lost fair and square and let's move on. Take a day and cool off and then let's get to work.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. James Carville

Yea, caucuses don't count, just like Florida and Michigan.

Can we cut out the "funny math?" This is what got us into trouble in the last 8 years.

By the way, Hillary, found any WMDs in your last trip to Iraq?

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. dwayne

Hillary is all about Hillary. She wants the power. She's had a good taste of it already. She's good at telling people what they want to hear. She doesn't care about the party obviously. So if you vote for McSame over Obama, granted Obama's the nominee, then I hope you enjoy the next 4 years of the same ole coporate based politics where the rich get richer and poor get screwed over and out. Oh and Hillary supporters, don't complain about anything either...hey you wanted him instead of Obama. Enjoy you daily struggles because the republicans don't care about you unless you're wealthy.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  8. Will-South Dakota

REMEMBER WHEN SHE ASKED " WHY CAN'T OBAMA CLOSE THE DEAL?"..........WHY CAN'T SHE CLOSE THE DEAL? Her words, her actions.

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  9. anonymous

Caucuses are like the electoral college...OUTDATED. Suggestion: go with winner-take-all primaries next time round. Some have even suggested doing regional primaries, instead of going state-by-state. Personally, I enjoy the drama of state-by-state, but I guess in this age of instant gratification where the winner are expected to be announced 2 milliseconds after the polls close (based on exit polls, not votes! gee whiz...), folks want the candidate chosen sooner rather than later.

Note: I was not a Clinton supporter in the beginning. I am one now. And yes, I'm one of those over-50 women you hear about.

I can tell you that I will likely support Obama IF he is chosen as the Democratic nominee UNLESS McCain chooses Romney has his VP. Then I might lean towards voting for McCain. Why? Because Romney is Mormon. And yes, I'm also Mormon.

Bottom line is...you tend to vote for what the person(s) you feel like you have the most in common with and with whom you feel the most familiar. If that's prejudice, then I guess I'm guilty of it, but truth be told...we're all pretty much guilty that way, aren't we?

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. Mike

If the democratic primary was held like the republican one or the general election, Hillary would be the winner already. Thank you dnc for having a messed up different system because it guarantees McCain a win in November.

I was worried if Hillary got the nomination she would beat McCain but since Obama will get it the GOP is triumphant again!

May 28, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Lana, California

The supers need to end this thing....TODAY! The only way she wins is if she changes every rule she agreed to back in 2007. Are we sure this "creature" isn't a Republican "Manchurian" Candidate in a Democratic pantsuit?

It's to the point that WHEN she LOSES this primary, I will send money to whomever her Senate opponent is in NY to ensure she is off the electoral map once an for all.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. US Rules

If the Dumb Democrats used the same rules as the US Constitution then they might win the electorial vote, as it is McCain will take the votes because Obama is running against Bush and not McCain.
    McCain policies are Middle of the Road often siding with Democrats.

Hillary already won if the Dumb Democrats followed the rules specified in the US Constitution.

Obama has completely alienated 50% of Hillary's base, the solid Democratics. Obama can't win the Republicans or the Independents, not the White Workers, not the White Christians, just the Blacks and the foolish youths who believe political talk and ignore real world wisdom.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Michael

As a person from a state that holds Caucuses I am extremely offended that she continues to just disregard the caucuses. Look Hillary you lost! The rules were clear, you agreed to them, and you lost.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. Krystof

"Count every vote", she exclaims.

...except the caucus states. Oh, and rely on polling numbers taken over 5 months before the general to base your decision on.

...and never mind the fact that I couldn't beat Barack, because he doesn't appeal to voters that matter.

...and even through I will be way behind in pledged delegates, you have to overturn the will of the people because so many voters were left out due to Michigan and Florida, and even if you added them in, I know I wouldn't have more pledged delegates but those caucuses are bad things.

...don't count those Barack votes, cuz they don't matter in the end...

...oh, and "count every vote."

HillBillary

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. Lachelle

I don't know how much more I can take of this woman. Give it up already!!!!! Enough is enough. You ran a good race, but it's over.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Mark

Hillary "Say And Do Anything To Get Elected" Clinton!

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. misanthrope

TO ABBY and MOLLY: Please stop talking. You have no idea what you're talking about. You are a typical Hillary supporter who would lie and make up information because you can't stand losing.

TO NO OBAMA: Go ahead and vote for McCain. Be vindictive. Can you really stand 4 to 8 more years of crap politics? Can you really put up with the same things our country is dealing with now? Wait, do you even care for your country? And please explain how B.O.'s wife is racist. YOU sound more of a racist than she does.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. Blue California

what are these commenters saying? just go to realclearpolitics.com, i'm not even going to post who's winning the popular vote, its clear in front you. There's no debating it.

Puerto Rico – HIllary +13.0 (net gain of 3 delegates)
    Montana – Obama +17.0 (net gain of 2 delegates)
    South Dakota – Obama +12.0 (net gain of 2 delegates)

Let everybody have their vote, count Florida the way it is, split Michigan 50/50, and everybody have a coke and a smile.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. DJ, LA, CA

Clinton's "creative accounting" is just mind-boggling. She is a manipulative fraud.

How dare she try to claim the caucaus results don't count...then turn around and propose that we DO count FL and MI despite the fact it is against the official party rules prior to the start of the election.

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. True

People Say Obama is:

Black, I'd rather be Black or Irish than vote for Hillary.
    A Muslim, I'd rather pray to Allah than vote for Hillary.
    Weak, I'd rather be a lover than vote for Hillary.
    A Cheat, I'd rather be Bill and cheat on Hillary.
    A Liberal, I'd rather smoke weed than vote for Hillary.

All these things people accuse Obama for isn't so bad at all...

May 28, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. Hillary

Give it up hillary you are a digrace to your family to the Democratic party and America.

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. bill pike

as rome is burning clintons fiddle. this is the biggest case of power hungry and do what has to be done without consideration of anyone and especially the party and the obvious ruin obama's chances for personal gain. lies about lies, and making millions off us????

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Joseph in PA

I seriously think the campaign has had detrimental psychological effects on Senator Clinton. So, now she is ahead, IF you don't count caucus states, but she contends that every vote should count regarding MI and FL?

What if we counted every person who voted with their left hand, but stood on one foot, and voted only for Mrs. Clinton?

There are some real personality disorder issues here, at least paranoia or megalomania. I used to be one of her biggest fans. No longer. I just feel sorry for her, and angry at her divisive and destructive campaign.

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. JJ

The only way she is ahead in the popular vote (with the caucus) is you have count MI and FL. We all know Obama did not have his name on the ballot so he couldn't have picked up a vote there.

If you exclude MI and placed FL in the total, Obama is ahead in the popular vote.

Sorry Beth.....But I don't think it's hardly fair to include MI when Obama wasn't even on the ballot.....

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. wwIowa

GET HER OUT OF THE RACE!!!!QUICK!!!!CAN'T STAND HER ANYMORE!!!!
    HOW ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED IN IOWA? WHY ARE WE NOT IN THE POPULAR COUNTS???
    GET THE CRAZY CLINTONS OUT OF THE RACE....NOW!!!

May 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |