May 28th, 2008
11:30 AM ET
7 years ago

Democrats mull Florida, Michigan compromise

 Clinton paid a visit to Mt. Rushmore Wednesday. (Sasha Johnson/CNN)
Clinton paid a visit to Mt. Rushmore Wednesday. (Sasha Johnson/CNN)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic Party is likely to meet rule-breaking Florida and Michigan halfway when it comes to seating their delegates at the national convention, two members of the rules committee said Wednesday.

Such a move may help Sen. Hillary Clinton close the delegate gap with front-runner Sen. Barack Obama but not overtake him, said sources familiar with party deliberations.

The sources did not want to be identified because the full committee has not yet discussed the problem or ruled on it.

Full story

soundoff (336 Responses)
  1. Gord

    I love watching the Democrat gong show. And to think – they want to run the country. hahahahaha.

    May 28, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. CHilallas

    Enough is enough. Clinton quite. I supported you prior to Nov 07 but i am sorry to say that you disappointed me by allowing a rooker to outwit you. Go figure. Go Obama Go.

    May 28, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Old Women from Minnesota for Barack

    Her popular vote doesn't include caucus states. The only way to include caucus states is by delegates. So enough with the popular votes already.

    May 28, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Fredrick-London

    I dont know if the Clintons & their Suporters take time to read these Comments!!!
    May-be May-be can help them to understand

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Brian Knoxville, TN

    I just heard the flushing sound of Barack Obama’s political career go down the toilet as I was listening to McCain’s speech in Reno.

    If Barack Obama had a fraction of the judgment that he claims to have and cared at all for the Democratic Party or the future direction of our country, he would find a graceful way to exit this race, let Hillary Clinton go up against McCain, and spent the next 8 to 16 years building a resume.

    For nearly two decades I have voted the Democratic Party line and, since 2004, have donated money to two Democratic candidates (one for President of the United States and one for Senator from Tennessee, both of whom lost) and to the DNC.

    But this year, if I’m asked to support a candidate who has zero experience for the most important job in our country, I will become a McCain Democrat.

    It’s not too late…

    HILLARY CLINTON ’08

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Arkansas Undertaker

    I say dont count their votes for breaking the rules but do seat the delgates

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Elizabeth

    How a candidate's runs her campaign is a predictor of how she would govern. Senator Clinton has shown us that she lives and works by her own rules and listens only to those who agree with her. We have had eight years with a president who governs by his own rules and listens only to those who agree with him. The American people know that they need a president who will listen to and work with all groups. We need a uniter, not a divider. For the good of the country, the Democratic Party's Rules Committee must play by the rules they established for this campaign.

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

    I think that half the delegates should be counted, just like the GOP did. This way, even if Obama gets "cheated", it won't be enough to make a difference, and he'll still get the nomination.

    Either that, or seat all delegates, and split the delegates 50-50 between Clinton and Obama.

    Knowing Hillary, she'd want to split them 3 ways – 1 for her, 1 for Bill, and 1 for Obama. And then she'd take Bill's. :)

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Jeff Radun

    I see 8 comments and all are those hate filled Obama brats.
    I really hope Hillary leaves after June and endorses Obama out of Party loyalty but then sits on nthe side lines and watches him loose in November.
    Reasons why.
    1) Only Obama nation says his relationship with Wright does not matter and that is only 50.5% of the demicratic party the other 49.5% who support Hillary say it does matter. Then add McCains republican supporters that is almost a 3rd of the country feel they matter

    2) Only Obama nation says his wifes comments do not matter and that is only 50.5% of the demicratic party the other 49.5% who support Hillary say it does matter. Then add McCains republican supporters that is almost a 3rd of the country feel thay matter

    3) Only Obama nation says his flag pin do not matter and that is only 50.5% of the demicratic party the other 49.5% who support Hillary say it does matter. Then add McCains republican supporters that is almost a 3rd of the country

    4) Only Obama nation says his meeting with dictators without conditions do not matter and that is only 50.5% of the demicratic party the other 49.5% who support Hillary say it does matter. Then add McCains republican supporters that is almost a 3rd of the country

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. CNN, Pls Don't Censor!!

    ****To All DEMOCRATS: Listen to Keith Olbermann's Special Comment from his show this past Friday evening******

    May 28, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Brad

    Someday Florida will have to learn how to run an election. They couldn't count right when Bush was elected, bought new machines to fix it, set their primary date against party rules, were told their votes wouldn't count. They held their primary anyway, got rid of the machines because they didn't work right refused to hold another primary, and to top it all off....now they are crying foul and blaming everyone but themselves. Almost a decade of screwed up elections. Maybe the people of Florida should look at who they are electing in there own state and hold them accountable first.

    May 28, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. obamacrat

    Hillary cannot win without the African American vote. She's kidding herself if she thinks that she can rip off Obama and not lose the AA vote in the process. Obama cannot win because Hillary has successfully created a wedge between him and the blue collar white voters. This coupled with dems in FL not voting for Obama because Hillary has convinced them that Obama is somehow stealing the nomination. So if Hillary cannot win and Obama cannot win, this leaves John McCain as the winner by default. Thank you Hillary. Who cares if Obama's policies are 90% in-line with your own. You don't really care about ending the war and providing healthcare to everyone as much as you care about your own nomination. Otherwise you would have stepped aside weeks ago when it became apparent that you could not win without going down the desctuctive path that we are now facing. Historian will someday look back at this campaign season as a case study for how a (Republican) party can still manage to win the Whitehouse following the worst presidency of all time by one of their members.

    May 28, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Sammy

    Seat half the delegates on the condition that before the convention both states put their primaries back where they were. Otherwise we will be right back here again in four years. Like it or not the states have to admit they knew they were doing, knew what the penalty would be and that they were wrong to do it.

    If they dont I guarantee my state will vote to move ours up again... maybe to December. Dont laugh. If these states can successfully break the process whats to stop mine from doing the same? If it comes up for a popular vote it will have mine. Who says Iowa must go first? Party rules? What rules?

    May 28, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Lisa from VA

    For the life of me I cannot understand this woman's way of thinking. IF they seat FL and MI the way they voted, she is still behind in delegates by a fairly large margin. So, maybe she wants to claim the popular vote....BUT...to do that she has to throw out the caucus states while counting FL and MI....thus disenfranchising the caucus state voters....how can she think this is somehow just? Also, she claims she is the one who can beat McCain when she can't seem to beat Obama....I'm so confused by her.

    May 28, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. pp

    As an outsider, faraway from US I have been watching Democratic nomination process closely for some time as I have interest in America, what it chooses as a president and policy it follows whci inadvertantly affect the rest of the world in other worlds the humanity on this panaet earth.

    There is always resistance to change, we expect good t and positive hings to happen hen we are being same as always and never thinking any thing new and so never taking any new actions but still expect..
    \
    World is changing fast and every minute, its dynamic, its not old times when things seem to move in slow motion. Given the challenges of today there is no time to relax but tio act ( therfore as a response technology is changing so fast). my teebange r son, i have to accept is much better in many many ways than me, well not so experienced in worldly ways as I think, but they have their own different model of life, this generation is impatient for change, to do things faster and in new ways hcih i never thought exist. Lets face it, yes experience is good but is like a refernec book in library, it does not produce any thing new itself, only creative minds create new things , new way of thinking, relating , behaving and living. we can not stop the change, it will happen, you can not stop time or the new minds and new thinkings and finding new contexts and aspects we at our middle or old ages can not even iamgine. Its fact and lets accept it, with no whining or regrets. this new generation has fire in thier bellies and sparks in their eyes with such intensity, we never had or felt. its their time , but they respect and are obliged to us for all our exoerience and knowledge learnt can teach the. Lets be proud of it and see the new horizons they find for us.

    this fire and determination I see in Obama' s (and many others like him all over the world s eyes ) is not same as receding old sunken eyes of past experience,.They may look vacant in some corners sometimes but it shows ther are numerous possibilities for new learnings and new ways to live ,think ,act and face the challenges. of future lsincerely hope all Americans give future a nod and feel proud what it can achieve and be apart of its evolution. rest of the world will follow it as an example .as always to make this palnet a better living place for all in. od bless us all.
    Thanks for your kind attention

    May 28, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. nate

    I know Clinton supporters will not be happy w a 1/2 way settlement so for them I can only offer this : HAHA!

    May 28, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Jeff Radun

    OBAMA IS UNELECTABLE. HE CAN'T EVEN TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS UNCLE (WRIGHT ? ) AND HIS WAR RECORD. HE HAD TO LIE TO VETERANS ON MEMORIAL DAY

    May 28, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Franky

    All I wanna say is not right it had to come to this......is not right that the citizens should be blamed for this, is just not right........

    Don't act like the voters agreed upon something because quite frnakly, they don't even know what's going on......is just not right.

    May 28, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Frances

    And as far as the popular vote she is claiming, it would be breaking another rule because the winner is the person with the most delegates and not the most votes.

    And she states that the caucus votes don't count?...............I would like to know, in what country because it's not true in the good ole USA!

    Please HILLARY, GO SIT DOWN!!!

    May 28, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. Tara in Sarasota

    count the votes and delegates IN FULL. I did not stand in line for an hour to cast my vote only to be counted by HALF.

    May 28, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Chris Jones

    SUOERDELEGATES can end this tomorrow. Why are you going to reward the two states that broke the RULES KNOWINGLY. Yeah officer I was speeding and read the speed limit, but I am not going to get or pay a ticket. WHAT, Hilary you have nothing, and it's funny from beginning you said Florida and Michigan will not count due to breaking the rules, Now it's different when that is your last hope at losing a closer race to the NEW NOMINEE. GOBAMA

    May 28, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. OregonVoter

    Keep in mind that she only "wins" the popular vote IF she ignores all the caucus states AND counts the two states who knowingly broke the rules and where the candidates never campaigned. This is ridiculous.

    May 28, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Canadian Girl

    Florida and Michigan, like all the others States were advised of the rules prior to holding their States primaries. They, as a state, chose not to abide by these rules, and they must now pay the consequences. Likewise, Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton were advised of the rules in which these Presidential contest would be played. They were advised that the votes in Florida and Michigan would not count as these States did not abide by the party rules. Each agreed. A candidate well aware of the rules cannot seek to change these rules after the fact, and when they find themselves behind. Mrs. Clinton's opportunity to disagree was in October 2007. Instead of signing the paper that stated she agreed that these two States violated the rules of the DNC, and their votes would not count, it was at that time that she should have piped up and said, "Whoa! No, no, no, no, no ... I do not agree with this." Her concern about disinfranchising voters in these two States should have occured immediately, yet it didn't. Why? Because she was so overconfident that she would be named the nominee by Super Tuesday, she figured she would never need those delegates. But then a fellow candidate suddenly took over the lead. A candidate that didn't write off States, that concentrated on the caucuses and saw their value. It is only after this change of events, that Mrs. Clinton, for the first time realized that should could not become the nominee unless she had Florida and Michigan ... and then she decided it was owed to her to change the rules.

    I hope the DNC sticks to their guns. Both candidates knew the rules going into this contest, and both had to play by them. There is a clear front runner. Mrs. Clinton now needs to come to terms that her dream is over.

    May 28, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Shalauddin Ahmed

    Hello Dem. Supporeters,

    Where is the loyalty & unity? Is candidate above the party loyalty - if answer yes, then know that party is doomed in this year election with key is in Sen. Clinton's hand.

    May 28, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. Chris Jones

    SUPERDELEGATES can end this tomorrow. Why are you going to reward the two states that broke the RULES KNOWINGLY. Yeah officer I was speeding and read the speed limit, but I am not going to get or pay a ticket. WHAT, Hilary you have nothing, and it's funny from beginning you said Florida and Michigan will not count due to breaking the rules, Now it's different when that is your last hope at losing a closer race to the NEW NOMINEE. GOBAMA

    May 28, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14