May 28th, 2008

Poll of Polls: Obama, Clinton both leading McCain

(CNN)–The CNN general election national poll of polls now shows both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton leading John McCain McCain by two points: 46 percent to 44 percent.

The last general election poll of polls - released May 15 - showed Obama leading McCain by five points (48 percent to 43 percent) and Clinton leading McCain by four points (48 percent to 44 percent).

Full poll results after the jump

NATIONAL GENERAL ELECTION POLL OF POLLS*

May 15-27

Voters’ Choice for President

Obama: 46 percent

McCain: 44 percent

Unsure: 10 percent

NATIONAL GENERAL ELECTION POLL OF POLLS*

May 15-27

Voters’ Choice for President

Clinton: 46 percent

McCain: 44 percent

Unsure: 10 percent

*The national general election “poll of polls” consists of three surveys: Gallup (May 22-25/27), Newsweek (May 21-22), and Reuters/Zogby (May 15-18). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. t for 2

The CNN General Election polls? Since no one but liberals deals with CNN, doesn't that sort of mean you took a poll of all your liberal readers and this is what you came up with? Geez, with all your liberal readers this is all you could come up with - a few point lead??? That says a lot! McCain is going to win hands down!

May 28, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. Eric Thornley

Enough is enough. Hillary needs to drop out now. She is only hurting the chances the Democrats have right now to beat McCain in the General election, and from my perspective, those chances are quite good.

Give the man a chance, if he doesn't do good, then you can run in 2012 and will have plenty of support then.

Hillary supporters, stop, think for yourself for at least five minutes.

May 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Shawn

Patrick:

Good point. Except that the contests in all those swing states you mentioned was between Clinton and Obama, not between McCain and Obama. The latter might have MUCH different results.

May 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. Christian

Too bad this is not how we elect a presidnet!! These polls don´t take into account the electoral map!!! Way to go cnn, trying to kiss up to Obama!! If you actually showed the right polls you would shut up some of these ignorant people commenting!!!

May 28, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Jason P. from Orange County

"t for 2 May 28th, 2008 5:27 pm ET
    The CNN General Election polls? Since no one but liberals deals with CNN, doesn't that sort of mean you took a poll of all your liberal readers and this is what you came up with? Geez, with all your liberal readers this is all you could come up with — a few point lead??? That says a lot! McCain is going to win hands down!"

And obviously, no one but a liberal would post a comment on CNN... nice logic there.

May 28, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Chi4Obama

Note to CNN,
    I don't understand how your "Poll of Polls" contains "0" sampling error. Yes, it is true that your poll averages data, among many different polls. However, if all of those polls have a certain degree of "error"; how is it that your poll does not.

In fact, almost every poll has a certain degree of error. Including yours. If you don't believe me, just compare the data from your "Poll of Polls" to the actual "results" from the Democratic primaries.

But on another note. Obama '08.

May 28, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Julie

What about taking a poll of my vote. It's for McCain if Obama gets the Democratic nomination. If Hillary gets it, I vote for her. So add one more count for Hillary.

May 28, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. Extinct

How about this? Obama represents the Democratic party. Done deal McCain is a lame duck, so he's got to be replaced immediately as the Republican candidate. Hillary becomes the Republican candidate. She used to be a Republican anyway. This way we can have a head-to-head, powerful, dynamic, authentic race for the U.S. presidency by the two best qualified candidates, Obama and Hillary.

Obama represents the Democratic pary. Hillary represents the Republican party. McCain goes home, or Iraq, whichever he chooses.

May 28, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  9. David, Santa Rosa, CA

Mickey Mouse would poll better than McCain. It will be interesting to see how the McClellan book effects McCains numbers (if at all).

January will not be here fast enough for me. We're gonna see some crazy stuff over the next 7 months... mark my words. GW and Dick have not taken our souls yet.

Put Bush/Cheny/Rove/Libby on trial for war crimes and treason!

May 28, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. hmmm

Chris May 28th, 2008 4:39 pm ET

Simple Maths my friends
    50% of Clinton supporters will NOT vote Obama
    30% of Obama supporters will NOT vote Clinton

Now those who can add (so called educated Obama supporters)
    Now you know why and how Clinton is more electable than Obama
    ____________________
    its not a matter of electability, my friend. the reason more Obama supporters would vote HRC if (God forbid) she was the nominee, is because we are smart enough to realize that ANYTHING is better than another 4-8 years of republican rule. And sadly many HRC voters who are bitter over their candidate's loss still haven't figured that out.

May 28, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Reggie

Hey Julie, If Clinton cheats and gets the nomination, my vote is for McCain...how about that for a change. If Obama gets it, Barack Hussein OBAMA is my candidate!!!

May 28, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. JB

To all of the uneducated "hard working white people" that Hillary so proudly touts as her supporters:

Newsflash:

If Hillary won a State in the primary, it doesn't mean Obama can't win that State against McCain in the general election. Do some research and figure out how this thing worked.

And to those who complain that blacks are voting for Obama. If you are a democrat, it didn't seem to bother you that 92% of blacks always vote democrat. Is that wrong, and do you hear Republicans whining about that.

All of you Hilliots need to grow up and come to grips with the fact that you lost. Now get in line and support Obama. Or are you going to cut off your nose to spite your face. Truly dumb!!

May 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. Remember Harry Truman?

In the 1948 Dem primaries, he was considered the "loser" all the way up to the convention. Nevertheless, he worked his behind off, crossed the country twice by train, talked to the voters about real issues at every whistlestop. His opponent, Dewey, sort of "brushed" him off while delivering "canned" speeches with the big bucks supplied by his supporters. Guess what! Harry woke up the morning after the election THE WINNER! The voters really are NOT stupid, after all. GO ALL THE WAY, HILLARY!

May 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Chi4Obama

This poll obviously did not include voters in Kentucky and W. Virgina (smile).

May 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Ryan

And there you go.....Obama.....you are the winner my man. Thanks

May 28, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Donna Hughes

Maybe if Mccain wins the Democratic party will know that a lot of Democrats don't want a far left leading their party. Also about being educated, it isn't your education that counts but your IQ. I know a lot of people that haven't been to college but has done just fine. The far left people are all so NASTY!!!!!!!! We should all learn to disagree without getting so nasty. Also most of our country was built on the backs of the every day joe. It was our generation that provided you with the chance to get your higher education. it would be nice if you all learned to show some respect for your elders. They have lived through a lot and are the ones that have the wisdom. I hope to think I have gained knowledge from living. I went through the school of hard knocks and believe me that is an education on life. I find the obama supporters to be an arrogant bunch. Through these Blogs I have decided I am no longer a Democrat and I come from at least 6 generations of Democrats. My ancestors would be ashamed to be called Democrats also.

May 28, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. Steve from California

Looks like McCain is gaining. However these polls do not reflect the electoral college. Obama seems to show a little weakness in the states Democrats need to win to attain 270 electoral votes. Hillary Clinton's wins in the big states is significant. Obama's primary wins in the red states of course do not mean he'll win those in November. Florida and Michigan are probably out of reach with the DNC debacle. Clinton's claim she's more electable is probably correct. However, it doesn't matter as Obama will get the nomination. Can he beat McCain? We'll see.

May 28, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. Ryan

also, McCain is not an issue....my niece could beat him in a debate....and she's 3.

May 28, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  19. What if?

From NBC/NJ's Mike Memoli
    CLINTON ARGUES NATIVE RIGHTS, ELECTABILITY
    KYLE, S.D. - In a somber speech before a small crowd on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation, Hillary Clinton again pledged that Indian Country “will have a seat at the table in my White House.” She also argued that the “ultimate question” facing primary voters is which candidate can win in November.
    ………………………………...............................................................................
    “IN MY WHITE HOUSE“, not OUR White House.
    Are there any Native Indian employed by Senator Clinton now if so can someone tell me the percentage?

Interestingly, as Republicans have begun criticizing Barack Obama for not having visited Iraq since 2006, Clinton mentioned that she has visited both Iraq and Afghanistan with the Arizona senator. Her last visit was in early 2007.
    By CHOICE Senator Clinton, Once you return as the Senator of New York, we ENCOURAGE you to continue your visits. President Obama may be planning a visit very soon, you may be able to accompanying him when he goes to Iraq and Afghanistan .

“I don’t run for president because I need any more publicity,” she said. “I don’t run for president because I need the adulation or the celebrity. I don’t run for president to live in the White House again. … I run because I believe that we can do so much better in our country, and that the unkept promises are corrosive. They undermine trust and accountability. They begin to eat away at what should be the relationship between our people and our government, and between government to government in Indian Country.
    -------------------------------–Again; please check with the voters in New York who voted and are still waiting to see past promises.

“So I’m here to make a solemn pledge, a pledge I have done my best to honor already as your first lady and as a senator, a pledge I will continue to honor as your president. I will be your champion. I will fight for you. I will stand up for you. And I will work my heart out for you.”
    -------------------------------–
    Tell them the truth you didn’t win to be their President…..

May 28, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  20. fuzzy math

you can't average an average! it's not valid

May 28, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. Obama! Our NEXT president!

Hillary supporters. Valiant effort, but the game is up. Don’t do the disservice to this country by trashing Obama. He's the best person for this country right now and the people have spoken on that!

Democrat for president 08!

May 28, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. Obama 08!

Hillary supporters, don’t betray this country and the democratic party. We need a change from how this country has been run for the past 8 years. Hillary would have been a great president but Obama will be just as good or better.

Swallow your pride and realize the bigger picture. We NEED this now more than ever! Don’t divide and fall, let us stand tall and concur this political catastrophe the republicans have gotten us into.

May 28, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. GO HOME HILLARY!!!

It’s obvious the right wing nut jobs are trying their hardest to debunk Obama by sighting whatever they can, pretending to support Hillary so they won’t have to face the best candidate come this November.

You can expect a lot more of this from the right because they know their time is nearly up, and it couldn’t come soon enough!

May 28, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. Paula in WI

Now to make herself look worse,the kid is out there begging again.Chelsey is a sure chip off the OLD block!!

May 28, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Republican for OBAMA!!!

Hillary or bust supporters, If you can’t see whats best for the country and put your lousy pride in front of true american patriotism then just stay home! America doesn’t want your vote!

Hillary! stop cheating, stop lying, stop flipping on whether the delegates should be seated only when it serves you!

Its over! Youre hurting the Democratic party and ultimately hurting America! Pack it up and go home!

OBAMA 08!