May 29th, 2008

Murdoch predicts McCain will lose

Rupert Murdoch is chairman of News Corp.'
Rupert Murdoch is chairman of News Corp.'

(CNN) – Rupert Murdoch offered a dire prediction Wednesday for John McCain's chances in the general election.

He will lose in a landslide, the News Corp. chairman said at a California conference, according to Reuters.

"You have got the Obama phenomenon, Murdoch said. "You have got, undoubtedly, a recession ... The average American is really getting hurt financially and that all bodes well for [Obama].

"You have probably the making of a complete phenomenon in this country," Murdoch continued, referring to what he thinks will be an overwhelming victory for the Democratic presidential candidate.

The News Corp. chairman, often viewed as a messenger for the Republican Party given his holdings include several media organizations with a conservative bent, also showered praise on the Illinois senator, calling him a "rock star."

While calling himself a friend of McCain, Murdoch said his lengthy stint in Congress has led the Arizona senator to make so many compromises that it is not clear where he stands on the major issues. He also called McCain "unpredictable," and questioned his knowledge on economic issues.

News Corp's holdings include Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Post. The Post endorsed Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton earlier this year.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Independent

Murdoch should stick to investments, not politics.

I can think of no circumstances I would vote for a Democrat this year.

May 29, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Uncle Sam

We have on the one hand a naive presidential hopeful, while on the other we have an experienced heroic statesman with a proven record of change. Am I missing something, Mr. Murdoch?

Americans for McCain '08

May 29, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. Michael from MA

An unbiased voice of reason – how refreashing!

May 29, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. j

I'd be happy with that end result but I'm not sure that it's going to turn out to be true. For one thing, the Republicans haven't started producing all of their negative ads yet and since those have been a factor in the past, they can't be counted out. I expect the election to be close but I'm hoping that Obama will hold the majority of electoral delegates at the end of race.

May 29, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Robert in Toronto,ON

That's a big revelation – I don't like Fox News (Rebuplican trash) but I do enjoy Family Guy so we're all good!

May 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Obama2008

I'm voting for Barack Obama, and that's all i can do!!!!

May 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Glenn

Obama now only needs 45 delegates and/or superdelgates to clinch the nomination.

May 29, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Dr. Proctor

"He will lose in a landslide" . LOL Murdock, you're a trip.

Yes We Can.
    Obama 08

May 29, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Warren Buffet now Rupert Murdoch two of the worlds smartest and wealthiest economist supporting Obama. However, it didn't take the two of them for me to know Obama is the right choice and I don't have a college degree.

May 29, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Every Wilson

I think Fox news owner is starting to see the light. His children are supporters and are fundraisers for the Barack Obama campaign, so I think it sounds like his conservative news media has failed him. Now its time to throw in the towel for the inevitable. Even though I do not trust his media, that was a brave thing to say. I still believe his media outfits, will spin Rev Wright 24/7 during the general election inspite of his declaration, which would cast a imprint of double speak on his words. I just wonder if he is speaking his mind or the facts as he see them?

May 29, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. sheep

wow something we all know except CLINTON ..who seems to think wining by a little or a landslide is in her hands . I'm so sick of listening to her tell us how to brush our teeth and comb our hair . And some people still are listening to her .

May 29, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Valerie - St. Louis, MO

Another Repulican that comes to realize that their party is broken and cannot be fixed in this election. John McBush has wanted the presidency so badly for years, I just think he waited until he was too old to carry it through. This man is too old to even run again in 2012, so why elect him now?

May 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Concerned Democrat

Wow, this must be music to the ears of Obama supporters.

Most of them probably don't know who Rupert Murdoch is, so they'll embrace his prediction of an Obama victory in November and give him a pat on the back and then return to ranting and screaming like lunatics at Hillary Clinton, who is a great leader of the Democratic Party.

Obama fans give me a headache.

Maybe they are Republican plants intent on destroying the Democratic Party. They could do a better job of destroying the Democratic Party if they were Republican plants.

HILLARY CLINTON '08

May 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Janneth from WV

That is for the superdelegates to judge.

If I were the superdelegates, I would have ended this long ago. Ask the pollstars; you find out that the electability argument Hillary is claiming is because her supporters tell pollsters they won’t vote for Obama while Obama’s supporters agree to vote for Clinton if she were the nominee. Funny enough, she is encouraging this attitude.

So should the DNC reward her and her supporters for being disloyal to the party (only vote democrat if their candidate win) while punishing Obama and his supporters for being loyal (vote for any democratic candidate)?

May 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. McCain is old

I predict he will die wiggling from a stroke before November.

May 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. Liv

I think he's right no matter what you think of him.

May 29, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

McCain voted to send 4000 americans to there death

I have four important questions for Bush, McCain and the GOP!

1. Is Iran stronger or weaker since Bush’s invasions of Iraq?

2. Has Osama bin Laden been killed or captured since Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

3. Are we paying more for gas now or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

4. Is our economy better of now or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

5. Is the White Houses creditability better now or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

6. Is the budget deficit higher now or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

7. Is the Middle East more peaceful now or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

8. Do we have more American Solders dead or before Bush’s invasion of Iraq?

This WAR has cost us so much; it is unbelievable that damage that Bush administration has done to this nation. The saddest thing about this WAR most of the American cannot comprehend what has happen during the last seven years of this administration. Further, McCain wants to go down the same road! Go figure!

May 29, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. JJ

Wow! I'm surprised he said that. I believe it's true but I'm surprised he still said it.

May 29, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Terry

Good thing you're not betting money on this one Murdie... Or are you? Because you will lose big if Nobama is the nominee. Hillary can beat McCain. Nobama cannot...

NO HE CAN'T!

Hillary 08!

May 29, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. Chi4Obama

Who cares about what he thinks. His statements don't equate to tangible facts. I don't trust anything a Repbublican says.

He is just merely stating his opinion, in order to provide a "wakeup call" to the GOP.

May 29, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. MICHIGAN STILL HAS HOPE

So Faux has sense afterall. We just had to hold our noses in the air to find reasonableness from that media outlet. OBAMA 08/12

May 29, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Mike

McCain will lose if Hillary is the nominee but not Obama.

I will not vote for another Bush like Obama. Bush was supported in 2000 by Enron and Obama now by Excelon, not going to happen again.

Hillary 08 or McCain 08

May 29, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Alreadytiredofit, Las Vegas, NV

I predicted this about 9 months ago – but I'm a nobody so CNN didn't report it......

May 29, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. Wang LI

Go Obama !

May 29, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Carl

If we were not at war, McCain would win in a landslide.

When you are in a recession, the goal should be to cut government spending down and lower taxes to give people more money.

Obama's solution, let's spend $600 billion more per year and tax the crud out of everything.

And yet that is positive... God help this country, because Congress and the president wont' help or care.

May 29, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |