May 30th, 2008

McClellan hints at supporting Obama

Could McClellan be supporting Obama.
Could McClellan be supporting Obama.

(CNN) – Could Scott McClellan be an unlikely supporter of Barack Obama?

In several interviews with media organizations Thursday night, the former White House press secretary hinted that he was strongly leaning toward the Illinois senator's White House bid over his own party’s presumptive nominee.

McClellan, a former White House official who has angered several Republicans this week for his scathing critique of the Bush Administration, said he hasn't made an official decision on which candidate he will back, but offered that he is "intrigued by Sen. Obama's message."

The former White House press secretary struck a similar tone in an interview with USA Today, saying that he is attracted to both party's likely nominees.

"I have a lot of respect and admiration for Sen. McCain," he said. "I'm also intrigued by Sen. Obama."

McClellan, who played a key role in the president's 2000 campaign, isn't the first member of Bush's inner circle to express support for Obama. In 2007, former Bush strategist Matt Dowd also said he had become disillusioned with the president and said Obama was the only candidate that appealed to him.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Chris

McClellen is not disloyal, he's a greedy opportunist looking for cash! This urgency to speak out due to principles and belief conviently creeped up once a publisher dangled a 2 million dollar book deal in front of him. Where was the principles and core belief towards truth in the years he defended the administration and its policies? Why not speak out when it counts? Why not speak out when he left? Why is it that speaking out is contingent on 'Cash in pocket"? This guy's got as much credibility as me when I tried to sell golden gate bridge to my next door neighbor!

May 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. chad

Great news
    obama 08

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  3. sherrie50

That not surprising especially after hearing about Obama race in Chicago in 1996. It is evident that Obama will do anything to win, even destroy candidates for his own end. I had a gut feeling that something was not right from the beginning. More of his character flaws will be revealed during the General Election. By the way, I am an independent thinking Black Female.

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Sharon Minnesota

There is still six months to go before the General Election takes place. If you have already made your decision for Barack Obama, may I suggest that you take a step back and keep your options open. The Chicago Senator has a huge iceberg floating around out there of which we have only seen the tip. To date, his true story has not been fully revealed by the major news networks regarding the shenanigans that took place to further his political career in Chicago. My feeling is that the democrats are going to commit suicide and/or implode from their own zeal to get back into the white house. Popularity contests are generally not very substantial when electing the leader of the USA.

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. YEAH BABY!

HE'S OBAMA WHIPPED, JUST LIKE ME AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS, i love BARACK OBAMA!!

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Tommy

Wow. Reading the posts from Hillary supporters I would say that Hillary has been honest about one thing – uneducated white people really do support her over Obama! These same supporters appear to me to only be against Obama because of the color of his skin. Sad!

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Love My USA

Here we go again! My question to this so call loyal ,dedicated, pitiful man, what was he promised by the Bush Admin. that he didn't get??>?? MMMMMMMMMMM Follow the money trail.

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Hillary supporter

He sure does attract undesirables!

May 30, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. CJAM457

Good post Louis.

I don't know HOW this race will play out because of Hillary's many midguided attempts as snowballing poor uneducated whites. She's played the race card which makes me NOT support her. I look at Mccellan and I see one thing. When someone blows the whistle on you, they're always discribed as disgruntled or horrible bitter angry ex employees. It's amazing that some will follow that road instead of taking a seriously look at the truth.

That shows how bad America can truly be!

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. John IND

Its O time. Can't wait till Hil is on the bench. O can get republicans to come over , and not every white rural American is going to vote for McShame. We want change.

Can some get Hiliary her own country so she can make up rules and say anything to get elected. Is she drinking in every photo now, a drunk for a president what a way to connect Hil. I guess losing promtes you to drink she could be the new bud girl.

"when things aren't going your way drink and lie that helps – HRC

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. YEAH BABY!

BARACK OBAMA, CAUSE HE'S NO DRAMA!! I GOT A CRUSH ON OBAMA..

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. Spectacles

Stuart,
    You are one who is slimy.

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. TJ Williams

Now I need my BIG fork. Here Hillary, little Hillary, Hillary...come on out ...:-)

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. Andy J, NY

Does this guy really have any credibility now? I mean, seriously. Where was he 5 years ago? Heck, where was he 3 years ago? To come out with these "revelations" in a book now, when the president has about 7 months left in office is really suspect, in my opinion.

If he knew these things before, he should have been man enough to say something then. I find it rather disgusting that he only says something now, when he can put some coin in his pocket off of the his tell-all book.

Shameful. If you were a real man, Scott, you would have stood up when it really mattered. It matters absolutely zero now. Zero.

May 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. White person in Virginia

Even Republicans know a good thing when they see it! ............................Go Obama 08

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. Carl

I want to get one thing clear.

Anyone that calls themselves a Republican and supports Obama is not a Republican.. you were most likely a neo-con that didn't realize President Bush and the White House distorted your views with lies.

A Republican is Ron Paul... a fiscal conservative who is against war and for states rights. He is also the only Republican for gay marriage and will defend it until his death. I find it appaling that so many people on the forum decide to throw in Bush as a Republican.

He most clearly is not. From my view, it's my opinion that the days of the two party system is numbered, for I think there will be major splits in the democratic and republican parties if our government keeps failing us.

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. Godwin

Welcome aboard Scott! This is a campaign of national unity!

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  18. aaron from minneapolis

Yeah! All the educated democrats and the republicans are voting for Barack Obama!! Why is it the blue collar uneducated are for Clinton? Could it be they are more likely to believe lies???

ding dong the witch is dead!!!

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. true demorcrat in monterey ca via memphis tn

we should welcome his support i mean if he helped get bush into office for two terms he knows how to help. with that being said for the people who says he is not loyal and is taking advantage of his 15 min of fame some of that might be true but he was with bush for ten years threw thick and thin and he stayed loyal until his morality kicked in .

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. J

McClellan said Obama message is simular to the one Gov. Bush gave in 2000. Well, that's not a good sign.

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. holy

Mr. President Obama !

May 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. fred2..since another stole my name

finally someone tells of the complete incompetence of the bush administration and gets ostricized.

DER DER, any american with half a brain can tell you that bush and his administration are a bunch of failures and discraces .

Three cheers for mclellan for telling it like it is!!

May 30, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. 2012

"It's a message that is very similar to the one that Gov. Bush ran on in 2000," McClellan told CBS News."

Very interesting comment, there, Scott........LMAO!

Just say NO to communism.....'08

May 30, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

It makes me no difference who McClellan supports but I am sure happy that he too has exposed the Bush administration. Bush, Cheney, Condi, Rove, Rumsfeld and all their counselors(attorneys) should be put on trial. Thank God Colin Powell got out before he got any deeper and I'm sure Colin knows the truth also.

May 30, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. Ted van Tol

If you join the Bushteam for so many years than it's not a
    suprise that he had enoug of it and is welcomming a President
    who realy want to change things.
    So, it sounds very logic to me.

Barack Hussein Obama for President of the USA.

May 30, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |