May 31st, 2008

Florida compromise seats delegation, gives each half vote

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Rules and Bylaws Committee narrowly voted Saturday against a motion by panel member Alice Huffman to fully seat Florida's delegation, sparking chaos in the ballroom where the panel was meeting, before voting almost unanimously to seat the full delegation but halve its voting strength.

The crowd grew increasingly vocal during the vote over Huffman's motion, as many in the audience began shouting at the members of the committee, hissing and chanting "Denver! Denver!" the site of the Democratic National Convention this summer.

Filed under: DNC • Florida
  1. jon

This is not the democratic party. What happened to every vote counts? Didn't they argue that with the REPUBLICANS last time we held an election. Hillary.. go independent.. we will vote for you. You will split the dem. ticket. Obama won't win the election anyways since us Clinton supporters won't vote for him.

May 31, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  2. arun

Clinton supporters think that rules mean nothing and if they do not get their way they are going to throw a hissy fit. Unfortunately by behaving like a three year old when denied candy, their leader has shown that she is not fit to lead or even be the next in line.

May 31, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Eric

Great...now that everyone's voice will be heard; let's close this primary up, and move on to the general with McCain

May 31, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  4. Shrimp Barnicles, somewhere in New York.

No matter how you slice and dice the problem, someone is going to end up disenfranchised because Clinton and her folks decided to change the rules in the middle of the game. CLINTON, EARLIER , AGREED THAT THOSE VOTES WOULDN'T COUNT!! NOW THAT SHE SMELLING DEFEAT, SHE IS, ALL OF A SUDDEN, IN FAVOR OF COUNTING THE VOTES. You see why most Americans just can't trust this woman. Poor woman.

I heard some of her funs and surrogates including Bill Nelson demanding the delegates of Florida be seated " As- is" and that this will show that all votes are respected. WRONG!!

My opinion is: Seating all the delegates based on the Super Teusday primary "As- is" will still leave some folks disenfranchised. Who are these folks? - Those who stayed home because they were told by the DNC that their votes wouldn't count.– most of whom were likely college age voters. Are we going to neglet them too, Mr. Nelson?

Rules are rules but the compromise was acceptable though it wasn't fair to Obama. He was penalized for abiding by the DNC's rules.

May 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  5. chuckd

The decision was a good one for the party. I hope that this spells the end for a ugly primary fight. But I have strong feeling that Senator Clinton will continue in her bid to gain the nomination, know matter how much it hurts the party.

May 31, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. Gboro4Obama

For all of the ppl that were outside saying that they would take this "Fight" onward, I think that is CRAZY!!! 4 What!!! bc if you are a TRUE member of the Democratic Party it should matter so much on who is in the white house, as long as a Democratic is there leading the way for the american ppl. I think this whole election has put on the table what America has tried so hard to hide. The fact that Race still today plays a role in american government, and with the U.S. as a whole. And for Mrs. Clinton to say that she gets the Blue Collar white vote, which is less educated, and have strong moral views. I say this note all "Blue Collar" workers are white, there are some African American, and other groups that work just as hard if not harder! I think the american ppl need to wake up, and look @ the big picture here. And the fact that have a "Black" man be president will show that this union is willing to change what is so commonly know around the world. And we as a nation will be the driving force of that change around the world.

OBAMA 08

May 31, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Tyler

Excellent decision by the DNC. Hopefully we can get on with the general election campaign starting wednesday.

May 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. Sherri

Michigan deserved nothing, zero, zilch! The Florida decision is okay.

I can live with the compromise, but I certainly don't like the message of anything being gained by cheating and breaking the rules.

I will never trust Hillary Clinton. She is a terrible example for the young women of our country.

May 31, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  9. Norma Thoma

Totally discussed that I, as an American will only be represented by half a vote. The DNC Committee meeting was a total fiasco and first thing Monday morning I will be changing my party affiliation to that of Republican so that I can be recognized as a 100% American and not a 50% American in the voting booth. At 74, I have been a Democrat all my life and voted a straight democratic ticket in every election, but I am now totally dismayed at the way the party has handled the Florida Elections. We aren't a bunch of illeterates, we read the papers, listen to the news, we knew who we wanted to vote for and I think Harold Ickes summed it all up. Thanks Harold.

May 31, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. jaylo

Trouble ahead.

May 31, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  11. RockyHF

This has gone on far to long. The DNC has said their peace and it is what it is. Hillary and camp need to move on and help bring the party together in order to win the election and bring a DEM back into the White House!

May 31, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  12. Veronica Pais

I've never joined a party, I'm a swing voter, who voted for for a democrate for the first time, and I joined the Democrate party in support of Hillary Clinton. After seeing today's rules committee actually take delegates from Hillary and give them to the apposing candidate shocked me to my very core. It could have been done to McCain, Obama, whoever and I would have felt the same. I'm fully regretting my decision to actually join a party that could do this. Every word Harold Icky said could not have been better worded. To take a candidates delegates and acutally award them to someone else told me that your party is not for me and when will they do it to my state if this should ever happen again. I will be withdrawing from the Democrate Party. The Republican never messed with my vote and I'm secured it won't. This panel of rules, who repeatedly mouthed following the rule should have applied it the the greatest rule which is our Constitution. I was going to vote for either candidate if it was just a 50/50, until some of Clinton's earned delegates, by voters who voted for her, were given away. I'm 54, and in all my year's involved in politics, I have never witnessed anything like this. I cannot express deeply enough the damage that this has done to my support to any party. I should never have joined. The first time in my life I actually joined a party and look what they did. You may say that this comes from my disapointment because I supported Hillary Clinton, but you could not be more wrong. This is strickly due to those earned delegate given to a another. I will return my vote where I know it counts. I would rather live another four years with Republicans to prove a point that a persons vote is more important and the Constitution is stronger that a party's rules. I guess you can say in November my vote will count. What was done to Michigan, really was done to all other 48 states if things out of the voters control ever happens to them.

If Hillary goes to the convention and wins I might reconsider my vote since I will see that the voters count. Only if I am convinced. I will now go to the Democratic website and see how I can withdraw my membership. Veronica Pais, San Antonio, TX Independent again

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  13. joe

It's on wonder the Democrats have been losers.

May 31, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  14. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

BYE BYE, HILLARY!!!!

May 31, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  15. David L. Harbison

I fully exspected that only half of the Michigan Delegates would be seated because all uncommitted votes might have been for other candidates and Obama's among other took thier names of the ballot. But Florida is a very different situation altogether and if i was in Hillary Clinton's shoes i wound contest it. Take it to the credentials committe in August. I feel that in Florida what Obama atleast ran ads, regardless of his excuses for them, He broke the rules and campaigned. Hillary should have gotten everything in Floriad that the people gave her. I don't believe for one minute that the DNC has treated Hillary fairly. You people are the one's Chasing her supporters out of the Democratic party.So don't pretend that all things are forgiven. Just know that its the parties fault in the first place.

May 31, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

The only way I will vote for Obama is if the Democratic party changes our primary system. A winner takes all the delegates, closed primaries no Independents or Republican allowed to vote, no cacuses, and if there are superdelegates, either they're able to vote for whoever they want, or there are rules put in place who they can vote for. And the latter then what need is there for superdelegates?
    I believe this system was put in place by McGovern and the "Left" wing of the party, and since then how many elections have we won?
    One by Carter because of "Watergate", Two by Clinton because he ran from the "Center", the "Left" Zero.
    Obama running from the"Left" will lose to McCain.

May 31, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  17. Clinton For President

FL should be completely seated. All the candidates were on the ballot. Obama ran ads. Take it to the convention, Mrs. Clinton!

May 31, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  18. Ernest

I think that is fair.

May 31, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  19. Jesse

People who slapped in the face by this half vote should remember the politicians that betrayed them when it comes election time.

The voters are penalized for the action of some politicians. Pathetic.

Where is the freedom and Democracy in that?

Looks like more of a dictatorship in regards to it favoring the candidate of choice for Dean, Gore, Kennedy and Kerry.

May 31, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  20. monyneen

the DNC have messed this one up . Fl. should have ALL there votes counted for Hillary . Watch out Denver and watch out in 08 . Obama will LOSE the election if Clinton is not treated fairly .

May 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. Dave in Maryland

Not bad for breaking the rules….. Forward march onto the General election.

May 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  22. Critical View

To Win in November: Let FL and MI Redo Primary

The Democratic Rules Committee’s (DRC) decision on FL and MI was made apparently based on two factors: (1) to seat the delegates, and (2) not to drastically change Obama’s delegation lead. However, this decision failed to accomplish what I have been advocating: rules must be fair, legal, and winning. For the FL case, the decision is probably legal, but it is not fair to reduce each delegate to ½ vote. For MI case, the decision is neither legal nor fair. Since Obama name was not on the ballot, how could DRC allocate delegates to him? As I mentioned before, if DNC punish FL and MI, they may just as well kiss good bye to these two states and accept the defeat in November. Now the DRC have decided to punish FL and MI, are Democrats prepared to give up these two states? I have given DNC the following advice: the only fair, legal, and winning solution to this problem is to redo the primary in Florida and Michigan. I doubt that there are enough wisdom and power in the Democratic leadership to see this point and to reverse the course.

May 31, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  23. Grown Ups Taking Charge

Today's RBC meeting was merely a glimpse of how great the Democratic Party can be once again when they sit down at the table like adults and work out their differences for the GOOD OF THE PARTY/COUNTRY not the individual candidates.

While I am proud to throw my support behind Sen. Obama, I was equally proud today of the very difficult task faced by the members of the RBC who were clearly Sen. Clinton supporters but had to show their loyalty to the party over her greatest desires/ambitions simply because she is their preferred candidate. This is what being about the WE vs the I is all about.

Harold Ickes' behavior was the height of immaturity and while I empathize with the Clinton supporters in attendance at the meeting and their disappointment in the outcome, they definitely did not honor themselves or their candidate with some of the behavior exhibited and courageously called out by RBC member and Clinton supporter Alice Huffman

May 31, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. Fairness and Unity

It is about time. The Hillary supporters that were there showed very little respect for the democratic process and thier candidate. Harold Icky (yes I meant icy, as in nasty) and his polictical posturing was disgusting. This was an opportunity to gain party unitiy, but the Hillary camp still wants to divide. It sickens me, because they knew the rules before hand and Hillary agreed publicly and privately to those rules.

Lastly, Rules…Rule!!

May 31, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  25. World view

Florida was easier than Michigan. I think the committee did the best it could.

May 31, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |