May 31st, 2008

Florida compromise seats delegation, gives each half vote

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Rules and Bylaws Committee narrowly voted Saturday against a motion by panel member Alice Huffman to fully seat Florida's delegation, sparking chaos in the ballroom where the panel was meeting, before voting almost unanimously to seat the full delegation but halve its voting strength.

The crowd grew increasingly vocal during the vote over Huffman's motion, as many in the audience began shouting at the members of the committee, hissing and chanting "Denver! Denver!" the site of the Democratic National Convention this summer.

Filed under: DNC • Florida
  1. nate

Cmon Clinton supporters, lets kiss and make-up :)

May 31, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Jackson

So does Obama get the uncommitted vote?

May 31, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. NoHillary

I can't believe that it is expected that a bunch of old fuddy duddies sitting around a table arguing after happy hour specials are supposed to be an accurate representation of the will of the people. Yah... this makes me proud to be American alright.

May 31, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. MD

Ickes is rude, unpricipled, and crude. No wonder he supports Hillary Clinton.

May 31, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Jim Florida

I have never felt so ashamed to be an American as to see my vote in Florida was counted like a half of an American. I hate being an American.

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. Meg

Today we have seen the end of the democratic process in the democratic party. They have taken uncommitted delegates and handed them to a candidate in a back room deal. OH HOW DEMOCRATIC!

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  7. JD

The disgraceful behavior of the Clinton supporters shows just how disinterested in party unity they are. Hillary was entitled to the nomination, and they are unsurprisingly putting her above party.

Ultimately, it may not matter, as a strong enough performance in the final contests and a show of support from superdelegates could render their threats of disorder moot.

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. Hillary will be President

Today, after seeing how the democrats love to lose and how stupid they can be, I will re register myself as a Republican.

I will never vote for Obama as an American who loves my country. I will vote for Hillary in the general election.

Obama will lose, mark my words.

Where's the KKK when we need them?

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. Ed

Based on the number of declared supporters going into the meeting, Hillary had an advantage in this committee – she still didn't get what she wanted. The question now is:

Will Hillary go with her party – or will she go on as a renegade and continue to question the rules and the fairness of the process?

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. Loretta from California

I don't believe their votes should count at all. Why have rules if you are not going to abide by them. They should consider themselves fortunate.

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. Aaron

This whole thing is completely ridiculous. Only the Clintons could muscle the party to change the rules during the competition in their favor and still claim they are being victimized because they didn't get everything they asked for. Bill's legacy is completely tarnished. The party needs to move on, it no longer needs the Clintons and they know it.

May 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  12. dwho

DNC rules and Bylaws committee took action according to the request of MI Dems decision. As for FL OK at it was accepted. It is time to move on and forward.

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Stephen Ellison

The entire rules committee process and procedure was completed solely in an effort to relieve pressure on members and as a result of behind the doors agreements; nowhere did I see any thread of genuine concern for the voters rights nor the democratic process.

This meeting, by itself, has done more to move voters to the Republican side than anything McCain could possibly have done, forgotten or mispoken.

I have been a democrat since I began voting in the 1960’s.

I am now an independent.

I can not nor will not support ANY party that takes the rights of its voters so lightly

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  14. Belizegranny

How can Obama get Michigan votes without his name on the ballot???

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  15. Disgusted in Oregon

The committee was more than fair to both Florida and Michigan. Hillary will still try to steal this nomination and her own people who spoke today have shown how ugly this campaign will continue to be as she tries to cause problems at the convention. She is truly an ugly human being on the inside where it counts most. Her ego means more to her than you or I. You are fools to vote for such a woman and you will regret it.

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  16. Hillary08

It's finally over!!. Florida and Michigan are now all included, no more excusses. This will all be officially over on Tuesday. Let's all unite behind the nominee. I was for Hillary but I don't think there is any more chance left for her to still win this, so allow me to officially say for the first time, OBAMA!!. YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!.

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  17. disbelief

I am confused about how two states knowingly violated the rules of the DNC and now complain about the solution offered. Much like candidate Clinton who knowingly agreed not to particiapate in the campaign process in each of the two states, yet now goes back on her word because of the cost of the action to her campaign. I wonder what kind of presidency rests with a candidate who can't be trusted from the start.

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  18. The Rules

The rules exist to ensure that the people are served by the party, that their voices are heard. The rules do not exist to silence millions by the actions of a few. This is not a game, it is not about arbitrary rules. It is about serving the will of the people, and the Democratic party has failed in that charge and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves.

May 31, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. jane

unbeleivable

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Patrick

THIS IS A WARNING TO THE DNC!! WE WILL NOT FORGET ABOUT THIS IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. sam

great decision.

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. jodi

Great Job DNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Matt

Hillary supporters should be grateful they are getting any vote at all. They are not in their place to be complaining over this outcome. For Hillary to take it to the convention, it is in her power to be labeled as someone who is not only desperate, but encourages breaking rules. If such a breaking rule strategy continues into the White House, we can expect her to be impeached within the first year. The rules should not have been broken, but they have been, and Clinton supporters are still complaining. They should respect the decision, and face almost imminent defeat like every other honorable losing candidate has done thus far.

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  24. Chris

The DNC has repeatedly said on one hand that it did not wish to penalize the voters of Florida and Michigan for the actions of their party leaders, while on the other hand doing just that. Fairness dictates that those breaking the rules be punished, yet I have not heard any voices calling for punishment of those responsible. As for "trying to unify the party," I will only comment by saying, if you do not want all of my vote cast in January, you will have NONE of it in November.

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  25. TJ

The behavior of Clinton supporters during the meeting was ridiculous! They are lucky any of the delegates got seated. IT"S OVER! People are sick of this race and in the meantime, John McCain is coasting along on Easy Street.

May 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |