May 31st, 2008

Florida compromise seats delegation, gives each half vote

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Rules and Bylaws Committee narrowly voted Saturday against a motion by panel member Alice Huffman to fully seat Florida's delegation, sparking chaos in the ballroom where the panel was meeting, before voting almost unanimously to seat the full delegation but halve its voting strength.

The crowd grew increasingly vocal during the vote over Huffman's motion, as many in the audience began shouting at the members of the committee, hissing and chanting "Denver! Denver!" the site of the Democratic National Convention this summer.

Filed under: DNC • Florida
  1. Yolanda

I am a democrat white latin senior citizen from Florida, who supports Sen. Obama.
    From what I have seen today on TV, members of the DNC made the right choice given the circumstances.
    It is my humble opinion that Sen.Clinton has demonstrated that she is not Presidential material, She has shown over and over that she has to win no matter what the consequences. It seems to me that she is another Bush from the left.

May 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. DeAnn

What... florida decisions was unanimous. Let's move on already..

May 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. Michael from Boston

This is not fair to all those in Florida and Michigan who did not come out to vote because they knew their vote wouldn't count. How can Senator Clinton explain that?

I'm very disappointed in the ruling. They should have been stripped of all their votes. They broke their party's rule. They disenfranchised all those who did not come out to vote because they knew their votes would not count.

Instead they gave Senator Clinton a much bigger portion when she agreed that Florida and Michigan would not be seated.

Appalling!

May 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Ashlee from Virginia

Considering that they weren't going to be granted any delegates or votes 6 months ago, I would think Hillary and her supporters would be glad with this outcome. I just have one question: If Hillary was sooo opposed to them not counting the votes from Florida and Michigan, then why in the world wouldn't she state this BEFORE the primary season began and she was the frontrunner??? I mean I definately wouldn't think she would SIGN THE AGREEMENT consenting to NOT COUNT THE VOTES! I mean it looks pretty suspicious now how she cares so much for the disenfranchised voters now that she's behind in every category.

May 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. Sean, CA

YES! Get over it hillbots.

May 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. d

Great! The Rules and Bylaws Committee has spoken, Clinton has gotten what she asked for, now it is time for her to pack her bags and go home, NOT TO DENVER! The people have spoken, the pledged delegates have spoken, and the superdelegates have spoken. On all fronts Obama has a an insurmountable lead. It's over Hillary, there is NOTHING more you can ask for, now step aside and support Obama ru for the presidency.

May 31, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Connie

Unity!

May 31, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Louise

Thank You Florida, wish the people in Michigan will follow you

May 31, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  9. Michael

It is done, now can we come together as a party, rally behind the nominee and win the White House. I hope and pray Hillary Clinton will see that fighting this all the way to the convention will do nothing but further divide the party and hand John McCain the White House. We as Democrats must learn from this, try to make it better so we don't go thru this in four years, unite and put a democrat in the White House. Let us stop with the personal attacks on the candidates, focus on the issues between the Democrats and Republicans and put a Democrat in the White House.

I will agree this was not a perfect solution but we live in an imperfect world so it is unrealistic to expect a perfect solution. I am not for Clinton or Obama, I am for a Democrat, this is about us as a party not Clinton or Obama. Voting for McCain simply out of anger does not solve any problems, it only proves to the Republicans right in that we cannot come together for a common cause as a party. I ask all posters to this blog to stand with me when I say, let us now unite behind whoever the nominee will be and win the White House. Let us not descend into feelings of anger, division and retaliation, let us rise up, say with pride that we are Democrats and win the White House in November.

I pray for unity, I pray for cooler heads to prevail and I pray we can win the White House in November and put either Clinton or Obama in the White House. Anything less and we prove the Republicans right about our party and that is we are divisive and cannot rally behind a common cause.

May 31, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. Nancy for Obama

I cannot believe the Clitons are they serious they are really setting themselves up for disappointment.It is really sad somebody needs to tell them it's over and there is nowhere else to go.

May 31, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  11. JohnLee

Think this is more than fair. When I went to vote, I knew my vote wouldn't probably count but I wanted to vote for John Edwards and so I did. If Hillary would do the right thing, this wouldn't have had to be such a spectacle today but she's only in this race for one thing – power!

May 31, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. Amy S

I would like to know how the final numbers shake out after Tuesday but I remain optimistic that Barack Obama will capture the nomination in the end. I am glad that Obama was awarded delegates from both Michigan in Florida and think it would have been completely unfair if Hillary Clinton would have received all the delegates at stake. Hillary DID NOT win Michigan and Florida, she broke the rules by putting her name on the ballot after she agreed not to. Barack Obama followed the rules and kept his word- he should not be penalized for this. Another point I would like to make is that when Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary in 1992, I did not have a say in deciding he would be the nominee because I live(d) in Kansas and the primary in my state occurred long after Clinton had already won the nomination. This is the first year I felt my vote in the Kansas Caucus (Kansas switched to a caucus this year) mattered because it occurred on Super Tuesday.

May 31, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. J

The Florida and Michigan state legislatures should be taken to task for moving their primaries to an earlier date. If they had simply followed the rules, their would have been no need for a compromise on how each state's delegates would be seated. Of course, if Hillary Clinton had not flip flopped on her original agreement with the DNC that the votes would not count and the delegates would be not be seated, the race for the Democratic nomination would have been over by now, and the Democrats would now be focusing on John McCain – an incredibly weak Republican candidate. All in all, I'm glad this nonsense with Florida and Michigan is now over.

Let's go Obama.

May 31, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. Gene

I'm truly surprised by the patience of the democratic committee. The people in the audience would not shut up after being many times to keep it down so that the committee could do their jobs. If I was the committee... I would've kicked them out after 5 minutes.

That's the difference between Obama and Hillary. Obama tells his people to leave them alone so that they could do their jobs. Hillary tells her people to go and protest and raise a stink. It's like an adult running against a high school drama queen.

May 31, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  15. DAN -VA

VOTING FOR MCCAIN...GO JOHN MCCAIN..NEVER OBAMA AND HIS POSSIBLE VP REV WRIGHT..

May 31, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  16. Absolutely fed up

But Ickes said Ms. Clinton still wants to bring it to the convention it seems.
    Here she goes — Ms. superego Clinton. Ultimately, she does not care about the party or the country, she cares about HERSELF. There is only one way Hillary can win — if delegates disregard the votes of their constituents, the majority of pledged delegates, and brake all the rules of democracy by giving the nomination to Hillary Clinton.

Ms. Clinton wants all the votes counted — except the votes that were not for her. She changes the rules to her convenience only, for her ego only.

This is not the morality, behavior, and value of a potential president

May 31, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  17. ben

Im still tring to find out how hillary gets away with stealing votes from a place where Barack wasnt even on the ballot how can she have any argument about being fare am i missing something some one please tell me if its something im just not understanding. I really want to understand this process

May 31, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  18. Richard Maxson

Play by the rules or go find your own sand-box!

May 31, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  19. Eddie P. rochester ny

absolutely discusting. Let's see how discusting the superdelegates get now. Why is the democratic party so set on loosing the general election. 30 people making a decision for millions of people!!! not good. Of the thirty people on the committee. Only two had the right solution. One African American . One white.

May 31, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  20. Timber

This is outrageous. I cannot say how disgusted I am at this decision. I can no longer be a democrat, I am switching to independent or republican. HOW can you penalize the FL voters when EVERYONE was on the ballot, NOBODY campaigned there and the primary was moved up by REPUBLICAN legislatures????!!! I am a young man and I will never forget or forgive this of the democratic party.

May 31, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  21. Patrick, Jacksonville FLORIDA!!!

Democrates are idiots! Here they have a chance to stick to the Republicans for changing the Primary date in Florida, and instead they stick it to Florida voters. Does anyone remember 2000????

They all say they had to follow the rules. Then how do they give Michigan uncommitted votes (Edwards, Richardson's, Biden, Dodd's, and yes Obama's) ALL TO OBAMA????? I will tell you, in a backroom deal with a majority of OBAMA SUPPORTERS ON THE RULES COMMITTEE. They just don't want to learn, I guess 4 more years of a Republican President might kick them in the pants, and this is coming from a Lou Dobb's independent Clinton Supporter. IDIOTS.

May 31, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  22. ChicoSez

I was too young to go to Chicago in '68 but I'll be in
    denver in 2008. If anybody thinks that that "gracious" gesture on the part of Wexler/Obama made anybody feel better, you've been drinking too much kool-aid. The dem elites have made a mockery of the process and have lost my support. I would show up and work in the off year elections. Will the Obama kids do that? Will they donate time and money to candidates other than Obama? Better hope so.
    Anybody but Obama.

May 31, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  23. Screw Hitlery

This will unfortunately get Hitlery more ammo to make her entitlement case that she should be the nominee instead of Obama. The inevitable is still going to happen and Hitlery will beat both Obama and then McCain. Obama and McCain are both doomed and ill-fated to lose.

May 31, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  24. CD

Sen Clinton will demonstrate to the rest of the country that she will do anything for power. Her greatest fear is that Obama will win, that would make her too old (if he is reelected). The Clinton's didn't support Gore or Kerry, and theyt surely won't support Obama.

May 31, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  25. Dave

I saw children at work today at the DNC meeting . It is no wonder our children behave as they do sometimes. Whatever happened to reasonable ADULTS ! sitting down and finding common ground with our differences in a respectable manner. As adults (age wise only) we should be ashamed.

May 31, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |