June 1st, 2008

Puerto Rico kicks off final week of primaries

Sen. Hillary Clinton greets patrons Sunday at a San Juan, Puerto Rico, bakery.
Sen. Hillary Clinton greets patrons Sunday at a San Juan, Puerto Rico, bakery.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is wrapping up two weeks of campaigning in Puerto Rico on Sunday as voters on the island territory kick off the final week of the primary season.

Puerto Rico has 55 delegates at stake, and polls show Clinton with a comfortable lead over Sen. Barack Obama.

According to a survey conducted for the newspaper El Vocero and Univision, Clinton is leading Obama there 51 percent to 38 percent among all adults in the primary.

Full story

Filed under: Puerto Rico
  1. Annamica, OH

So there are children in the primary now? haha

June 1, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. KCBob

the race is over who cares...

One thing I will say, the actions of the Clintons supporters make me question if we can ever have a woman president. I mean the irrational vindictiveness makes me wonder if a woman can handle the office. They seem too emotional in irrational.

You Clinton nutcases are hurting the chances for women in the fututre..at least with this voter.

Get over your racisim or your feminazi attitudes and deal with the fact that Hillary lost fair and square. If you have trobule dealing with a black candidate,go join the Republicans...they like racists and haters over there.

Good riddence.

June 1, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Brian Knoxville, TN

The Evolution of H. Obamaphilonensis (“Obama-loving man”)

April 2008: “THE MATH!”

May 2008: “THE RULES!”

November 2008: “Oh, the humiliation. Why didn’t we start thinking sooner? Why didn’t we see that he was an unknown, inexperienced, and unqualified person, that he is a charlatan with zero integrity who could never have won the presidency of the United States? Anyone could have seen way back in May that Obama's campaign was based from the start on the premise that he can more effectively deliver better rhetoric and slogans for each and every American.

Too bad Homo Obamaphilonensis learns too slowly…

June 1, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Kevin,FL

Among all adults in the Primary? So are there Children Primaries Too? lol

June 1, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Adolfo

Your reporters on more than one occasion have incorrectly made the comment that the majority of the Puerto Rican (US) citizens want to be independent from the U.S. This is far from the truth since in the last PR governors’ elections the PIP (pro independence party) was less than 2% of the voting population; this is a significant fact considering what few supporters independence has have always made sure to make their vote count. 98% of the island supports being a part of the U.S. and proudly keeping the U.S. citizen ship. Please make sure your reporters use this information since it's a significant fact for the rest of the U.S. to know.

Thank you in advance.

Adolfo (from PR)

June 1, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Let's get real

If Puerto Rico is not allowed to vote in the GE can someone please explain to me why either party waste money and effort holding a nomination primary there...

June 1, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. MELINDA AVILES

CNN REPORTER GIVES MISLEADING INFORMATION REGARDING PUERTO RICO. I LIVE IN PUERTO RICO AND I JUST HEARD YOUR REPORT COVERING THE PRIMARIES HERE SAY THAT THE MAJORITY OF PUERTO RICAN LIVING ON THE ISLAND WANT TO BE INDEPENDENT. THAT IS SOOOO WRONG. THE INDEPENDENT PARTY HERE IS ONLY A HANDFUL OF INDIVIDUALS. THE MAJORITY OF PUERTO RICANS ARE EITHER DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICAN AND DO NOT WANT TO BE REPRESENTED BY THE INDEPENDENT PARTY AT ALL. I FULLY SUPPORT HILLARY, BUT I WANT THE REST OF THE WORLD TO KNOW THAT PUERTO RICAN ARE AMERICAN CITIZENS AND WE AS A WHOLE STANDS BY THE USA.

June 1, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. Brian

If Purto Ricans loved America they would become a state! Their votes should NOT count

June 1, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. NBC

Another......let's throw our votes away on the Candidate that can't win and prolong this another day or two. I have the popular vote.....PS by my rules because I am the Democratic Party......NOT

June 1, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Tubby The Tuba

The only comments that make in on this posting by CNN are those views that apparently agree 100 % with their positions. Mine are rarely accepted because I do NOT agree with the slanted views of CNN.

June 1, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. Olivia

Hillary will do well in Puerto Rico because she is for the people and the know and love this.
    Obama was just going through the motions of what is required of him. He will get the support of those who climbed on the bandwagon.
    The ruling of the DNC yesterday made sure he moved closer to the end number to clinch the dem nominee, and made it more difficult for Hillary. But....all is not lost. Hillary will get our total support It's never over till it's over, especially when bias and unfairness is involved.
    She will always have my respect for being a tough, knowledgeable and highly viable candidate. We won't see anyone better for a long time. Just look at how much positives she taught Obama during the campaign so far.

June 1, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. Tubby The Tuba

How does Ickes think that his view as to how to count the delegates is even fair. In the first place, neither state was to have it's votes or delegates counted. The fact that Barrack took his name off the ballot is a moot point, since the DNC had ruled the primary WOULD NOT COUNT. But, Clinton had the goal posts moved once again, and now the DNC has reversed itself, changed the rules on Obama, and at least was trying to be fair to Obama's campaign. Since the Clinton name is well recognized around America the lack of campaigning in Florida and Michigan did not hurt her as much as it did a relatively unknown as Obama. Every state that Obama campaigned in, where Clinton had a tremendous lead, was able to deflate Clintons numbers in a major way. This would have been true in Florida and Michigan. Barrak Obama played by the rules and actually believed the DNC when he and Clinton signed off on NOT COUNTING the votes or delegates in those states. So why is it fair Mr. Ickes for Obama to lose out because he played by the rules. Hillary as we know changed her mind only when she realized that she would need those votes to have a chance. Now she says she has the most popular votes, disenfranchising those states that had cacuses. Where is her concern for these voters? It's a fine example of a double standard and speaks volumes about her immorality.

June 1, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. WAKE UP !!!!!!!

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND DEMOCRAT PARTY ARE FINALLY UNITED !!!!.....AGAINST THE CLINTON PARTY

Can't anyone see this maniacal, egotistical, me-only, abuse of Mrs. Clinton ???

First she used Mr. Hillary, then she used Arkansas, then she used New York, then she said "I agree Florida & Michigan should not be counted, then she said " Wait a minute I'm losing, I've changed my mind We Need To Count Florida & Michigan" then she said "Wait a minute, they don't like me because I'm a poor little destitute bullied, picked on , little tiny girl, boo hoo boo hoo.

DEMOCRATS, PLEASE PLEASE , ATTEMPT TO GET YOUR PARTY BACK . SHE IS RUINING US !

June 1, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. Raymond Duke

I am not surprised at that number. Except in predominatly black states Obama can not win a primary. In the ones he did win them states will go republican. Utah , Idaho, neveda, Alaska wouldn't be caught dead electing a democrat for president. Dream on democrats if you think this will happen, you still believe in the Easter Bunny. I am an indepedent and I don't have to kidd myself. I have always voted across party lines so I am not a rabid fan and then find myself as disguisted with the democrat party as a regular democrat would. After the crap that was pulled on Hillary Clinton, I get my revenge, I vote for John McCain and don't have to listen to the political opperatives pander to me and tell me how much worse he would be then Obama and why I should accept the unwanted sex they performed on me.

June 1, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  15. tensia

We will standa behind you all way Sen. HILLARY R. CLINTO.
    " LOS VOTOS LATINOS"

June 1, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Vahe Vanesyan (Toronto, Canada)

Hey, CNN so called moderators, post my comment at least this time!

Just a reminder for you and all the readers!!!

At last year's DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting, Ickes was one of several Clinton supporters to vote to not recognize any delegates from either Florida or Michigan because the two states were about to violate party rules and hold their contests early. He has since changed his position on the matter.

June 1, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Reality check #1

Love my girl, Hillary!

June 1, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. B. Fountain

Sitting back watching this race for the White House has definitely shown which side is more adult behaving than the other.

I am a woman and initially was very happy to see Hillary run. However, after watching her for the past 8 months do all of the following, I am sadly disappointed and am now definitely more for her rival.

1) Waver on issues.
    2) Count she has the popular vote, but, have no idea where and what figures she's using.
    3) Consistently using issues that are non-revelent to make her rival look bad.
    4) Bring up religion when it has absolutely no reference to the issues.
    5) Discount both Florida's and Michigan's vote and then change her mind when she needs these votes to have a chance.
    6) Donate so many millions of her own money to run when that money could have been spent helping the country on more important issues – gas, health care, homeless, etc.
    7) Lastly and most important her credibility has become zero in my books. I do not believe her or her 'advisors' when they speak up now. Her bashing her apponent and then continuing her tirades make her look like a child. Unfortunately dirty politics which is what her campaign has looked like for at least 3 months has made her rival look like an adult.

I would have loved to see a woman in the White House in the biggest position in the land. I had hoped that this candidate would be the one. I no longer feel that way nor do others.

June 1, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  19. Debby

Good for her at least Puerto Rican Dems. respects what she wants to do for the US. The DNC has just about diffused her every chance of winning. I also have to laugh at Obama ditching his church after all those people on the south side of Chicago supported him. Talk about someone who will do anything to win when the going gets tough. Obama the big Uniter when the cards aren't stacked in his favor he ducks out. I wonder if he will do this on us if he is President.

June 1, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  20. NoBama

even a moron would decide fairly quickly .....

to stay with the Church, or
    to be in the race for President post.

Obama must have quit his church long time ago.

June 1, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. OBUMMER

I, along with numerous voters.,will definitely vote for McCain. I have no words to describe the disgust I feel over Senator Clinton's horrible and unfair treatment by much of the media and the Obama campaign with its vicious supporters. Obama's supporters always scream "racism" anytime Obama's suitability for the presidency is questioned, yet have no qualms in poking fun at Senator Clinton.

This priest incident is yet another example of who Obama really is: a hypocrite, a liar, and a racist. He is also extremely arrogant and brings a lot of division. If he gets the nomination, he will surely lose to McCain.

June 1, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Kathy

I am sooooo sick and tired of the constant rant from news anchors, commentaries and the like when they ask-with that stupid look on their faces..….”but what do you say to the African American population who voted for Obama if you do not give him the nomination”--my answer…next time put up a more qualified candidate…period. There are an estimated 17 million African Americans in this country-less than 50% of them are registered-so where is the majority here? They have ignored his lack of qualifications and have voted for him based on ethnic pride. And while they certainly have a right to do so, they have intentionally ignored the fact that regardless of his rhetoric— he is seriously flawed, and an unimpressive candidate, who has had to constantly clarify statements and positions on almost every issue. He WILL most certainly lose to McCain (should he become the nominee).
    Moderate democrats and independents will write the last chapter in this drama, by sending a clear message- YET AGAIN to the party-clean up your act – you no longer represent the moderate/progressive voter that you expect will fall in line with your philosophy.
    The DNC party elders will have plenty of time to look for a candidate—McCain will be elected in 08, his VP choice will be elected in 2012 and possibly beyond-plenty of time to lick your wounds-but do remember-the scars are very deep and will not be healed any time soon.

June 1, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. lily

We love you Hillary. We support you all the way. I'm still very hopefull that you will be the nominee. We will never vote Obama if he is the nominee..we don't know this person and he is not qualified for this position.

June 1, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Jay

Greedy Clinton and her husband bill are out to destroy the DNC..She thinks its her right to be the nominee though she neither has the delegates or the popular vote... and by the way if she is "made" the nominee...we will ensure she will lose in the general election

June 1, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. NC Ladd

What bothers me is that the Democratic party is about to nominate a candidate that is essentially for many a "pretty face." Obama represents, "something" called a new change, but he has not defined exactly what that change is. I have tried to figure out who Obama represents. He claims to be black, but he is also white and he doesn't talk about that much, even though he was raised by his white family. He attended a church that appears to have had elements that espoused profound issues of anger and hatred and he felt as though he should be a member of that church, for many years! What's up with that? So here we are, about to nominate a candidate who has little experience when the world needs us to have a president that has a lot ,and a party that is frankly fractured. I'm not saying that I wouldn't vote for him, but he needs to stop being a talking machine and start being honest about his affiliation's, so that we can know who we are voting for. Just like Ricky Ricardo use to say, "he's got some 'splaining to do."

June 1, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |