June 2nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: This could be the 'last day'

CNN

Watch Bill Clinton's comments Monday.

(CNN) - Could this be Bill Clinton's last day on the stump this campaign season? The former president seemed to signal that his time on the trail was drawing to a close at a campaign event in South Dakota Monday.

"This may be the last day I'm ever involved in a campaign of this kind," he said.

The comment comes one day before South Dakota and Montana hold the primary season's final two contests. Barack Obama is expected to hold the advantage over Hillary Clinton in both states.

"I thought I was out of politics, until Hillary decided to run. But it has been one of the greatest honors of my life to go around and campaign for her for president," Clinton also said.

The comments seem to suggest the former president believes his wife's campaign is coming to a close, though she has given no signs she is ready to end her run.

Earlier Monday, a Clinton spokesman denied reports the campaign is cutting members of it's advance team. And on Sunday, Clinton launched an new ad stressing she is the winner of the popular vote. She also argued to reporters that the party's superdelegates have the right to change their mind until the party's convention in late August.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Caryn, Washington DC

That would be a blessing.

June 2, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Caryn, Washington DC

Read the Vanity Fair article about Bill...very interesting stuff. What a crook!

June 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. skip from Asheville, NC

BYE Bill...too bad you took the approach of race-baiting and deception during this campaign. I hope we never see on the trail again!

June 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Marshall

Of course she won't listen to Bill.

June 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. John Smith

It could be that my course in "logic" was poor because I had it with an "experienced" professor (talking about experience):

But how can Hillary be a stronger candidate against McCain in the general election when she (Hillary) cannot even beat this junior senator in the primary election process?

May be a Clinton supporter, learned as they are, can eduacte me on this issue. I await your comments, thank you.

Let Hillary run as an Independent so that the Republicans can take her and Bill on!

June 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. MC, Pa

"South Dakota and Michigan" ?
    OMG, well, I am tired too.

June 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Independent for Obama

Thank you for your many years of service to the Democratic party, Bill. I'm sure you did your best for your wife, and Obama and Senator Clinton have brought tons of new voters into the process.

This has been a great primary and I'm excited for Obama to move on to the general, and I wish the Clintons all the best in their future endeavors.

June 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

I pray that it is his last day.

June 4 = Independence from the Clintons

June 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. Rj

I feel bad for my fellow Americans who are willing to take the risk of wanting to elect someone (Obama) who has a limited experience in leadership than to somebody who has immense expertise on all problems and relevant issues that our Country need to address and solve right now.
    Obama supporters should ask themselves: "Why Obama is avoiding to debate Senator Clinton since their last debate in ABC? Saying that they have debated enough. Is this because of his "Lack of knowledge" in every debatable subject that a future President of our Country should know? He is not running as Senator or congressman! He is running to be the President of the most Powerful Country in the whole world! He must be equipped with wisdom and knowlegde in order to govern this Huge Country of ours in the right direction! If he is afraid and scared of pressures in a mere Debate – How can he handle the pressure inside the Oval office?

SuperDelegates – you still have time to think not only who's the best fit to this Position but who can beat John McCain in November?

Obama has a lot of Baggage that he need to address... Obama is now trying to get rid of them one by one.
    – Now Obama is saying that he is no longer a member of the Trinity Church?
    – What's next?????

DNC Leaders should be mindful of these Baggage!!!

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Andrew Goff

All right, now we can be friends again.

I'll see you by the swingset.

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. kingsley

ThANK YOU. AMERICA IS NO GOING TO MISS YOU OR YOUR CORRUPTION DEALS.

GO AWAY, YOU DEVIDER

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. sb

What a joke. I get a kick out of those that have been saying for weeks that Clinton will withdraw graciously and aide Obama in campaigning. Mark my words..... She will never concede. She will never quit. She will go to the convention kicking and screaming. No Clinton has ever thought of anyone but themselves. Today and tomorrow she has and will declare HERSELF the nominee.

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

if there is GOD in this universe, THANK GOD
    if the SD and Delegates, can put an end to the missery..........THANK YOU DELEGATES and SUPERDELEGATES
    dont be afraid..

the clinton dyansty has come to an end............please speak up.. no matter what dirt they say they have or have made up on you....

speak up, the country depends on you.

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  14. sky

Well at least he didn't cry so Wolf Blitzer could tell us all how sincere he was.

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Tomorrow's primary is in Momtana, not Michigan

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  16. Stacy Clarks

A UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY IN 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Jason, Texas

WOOOHOOOOOO!

GOBAMA!

June 2, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. McCain for President

I thought it was South Dakota and Montana that had the last two primaries, not South Dakota and Michigan.

June 2, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  19. The Truth

COULD IT BE?........

Has Bill finally admitted what all of America realized after Obama won 11 straight victories?....

Please tell your wife......so that she and her supporters can help defeat McCain in November.

OBAMA: THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!

June 2, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Anna, SW Missouri

Bill wasn't conceding anything, just setting up the next "crying" episode we should expect any moment from Hillary.

Here come all of the Clinton supporters screaming that Obama has stolen the election!

June 2, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. Darren M.

C'mon Bill, tell your wife to put the gun down. Even you know when it's time to give it up. Preserve what is left of the Clinton legasy, and tell your wife to help unite the party.

June 2, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. jim t

well, if so, good riddance, NOW GO AWAY!!!

June 2, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. Eddie G

At least perhaps Bill knows that it is time to quit and back Obama. Good for you Bill, not that you really care what one voter thinks, but I would be impressed if you are ready to help unite the party.

June 2, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. kingsley

ALSO ITS THAT A TYPO THAT THE NEXT ELECTION IS IN MONTANA AND NOT MICHIGAN

June 2, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  25. Charlotte

This is the worst election process I have ever witnessed. Hillary has been the target of sexism. Obama plays the race card at every event and yet the Clintons are accused of Racism? Show me one speech Obama has given that has not included a referrence to MLK? Just one, is all I ask. One speech where the urgency of now was not used. One speech where civil rights in some form was not mentioned. I did not think so.

June 2, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |