June 2nd, 2008

Clyburn to endorse Obama

Clyburn has been critical of former President Bill Clinton.
Clyburn has been critical of former President Bill Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Several sources tell CNN that House Majority Whip and superdelegate James Clyburn of South Carolina will endorse Senator Barack Obama Tuesday.

Clyburn, whose congressional district went overwhelmingly for Obama in the state's January primary, had said that he would wait to weigh in on the presidential race until the last nominating contest had been held. Earlier this spring, he had made remarks critical of Bill Clinton, calling his conduct on the trail "bizarre," and telling interviewers that some of the former president's actions had deeply upset African-Americans.

"There are African-Americans who have reached the decision that the Clintons know that [Hillary Clinton] can’t win this," he told Reuters. "But they’re hell-bound to make it impossible for Obama to win.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lynda

To all the Hillary supporters who will vote for McCain. There are enough of us republicans who are crossing over to vote for Obama and we will just take your place, so no harm done.

June 2, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Olivia

Endorsing Obama! Boy, am I surprised.
    Still bad-mouthing the Clintons too, I see. Still thinking race, I see.
    When you finish talking bad about this lady, please go and ask her nicely to help Obama from getting whipped by McCain in Nov.

June 2, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. tell the truth

I wish everyone would grow up. Stop with all this name calling. I support Obama and his views. I support Hilliary and her views. I do not support McCain on his views. I will vote with facts nothing more. people are going to do what they want to do so let them. They can vote for McCain. Some people might like war or like the price of gas or home prices or all the other stuff he likes. I do not so I will not vote for McCain. I know Hilliary does not agree with McCain so how can her true support like McCain?

Answer not her true supports: Afraid of a Black Man. I speak the truth.

June 2, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. jenkins

Shocker!

June 2, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Steve

James Clyburn endorses Barack Obama. What a shock! .

June 2, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. mikeb8tes

@ Marc in Virginia
    sorry I don´t agree with you there... Common sense should tell you to vote for Obama.
    It´s such a shame Obama wasn´t born in the UK, I´d exchange him anyday for our PM Gordon Brown.

June 2, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Kenneth

Hillary made a lot out of the bitter comment before the Pa. Primary
    let bring to whole thing intio clear view Obama didnt cheat ,did not want to change the rules, after the game started,did not say at antytime that she could not win the general election,his supporters are more willing to support her if she was the winner , his supporter were better sports at the weekend meeting of the rules committee,

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Hannah Stevens

I would have supported whoever had won the nomination because I do not want to see men deciding family planning for women, equal pay for women struck down, endless wars and the rich not paying for them and more... If McCain were to get in he would appoint more business friendly anti women right wing judges for the supreme court and they will be there for life.

I am glad that Obama is going to be the one; I support him 100% and I am an older, white woman.

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. Ronald

Thank you Rep Clyburn for remaining neutral. Your move now indicates that it is time to unite the part behind our candidate . . . Barack Obama!

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. David, Santa Rosa, CA

Welcome aboard Sen. Clyburn! Your collegues will be welcome as the week progresses.

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. rob

Why would anyone want to vote for McCain? If you have racial prejudice I guess I understand to some degree but still Obama is a very intelligent candidate. In fact he is one of the most progressive presidential candidates ever. As said by Fidel Castro.

I really think alot of you HRC supportes and even John McCain supporters haven't listen to Obama. This is is the real deal.

Pause and make a rational decision about this. Even though I strongly believe this will be a landslide election.

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Doris,Memphis,TN

Together we stand, Divided we fall!
    Remember this in November!

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. enomisa

Like Michelle Obama, I will scrunch up my nose and have to think about whether I want to vote for the democratic nominee.

Her concern was if HRC was the nominee.

My concern is if Obama is the nominee.

Same right to defect from the democratic party.

Same freedom not to unite behind the party nominee, right?

June 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Victor in NC

A vote for McCain is a vote to nail the coffen shut on Hillary.
    Wave the Clintons goodbye.. Because the Republican's can stand the Clintons.

They are doing everything they can to cause conflict between the DEM..
    If you vote for McCain, you better give Hillary & Bill one last look, because the Billary's will be gone forever.

Unless Chelesa gets married! Then they may show some of the wedding clips

June 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. John Smith

I need help, maybe my Intro to Logic Philisophy course was really that bad because I had it with an "experienced-old professor" (talking about experience).

So, here is my question:

If Hillary cannot even run an effective primary, as a stronger candidate, to defeat this young so-called "inexperienced professor of constitutional law of the U.S.", how can Hillary compete against a more seasoned McCain and the Republican Machine?

The Republican Machine is waiting to open up their war-chests against Hillary and Bill.

Please, let an active supporter of Hillary respond to my dilemma; I await your answer. Thank you for your "honesty."

June 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Lisa

I want to encourage all who are for "Obama" and for the "Democratic party" to make sure we help in the win this fall. I don't normally get involved in this but the moment Obama wins the Nomination I will start going out "like he did when he was a community organizer " and get folks to register and vote. You reap what you so! I'm also going to give my first time donation this week and I'm so excited to give and help.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. Ignorance

Minority Whip? Don't you mean Majority? Wow lol.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. lucky

The Clinton's have done many great things for this country and I am amazed at how people are so easy to forget – especially young spoiled ones who grew up in such good times- thanks to the Clintons. She is a powerful senator and very effective. she will never give up fighting for people, even the ones who hate her. I think people who hate a women who they do not even know must have their own personal issues with a woman in their life – mother? sister? Such distain and arrogance is truly interesting to for from people who call themselves democrats.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Anonymous

He's the Majority Whip...not Minority.
    Freudian slip?

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Chamorrita60

GOD Bless you Majority WHIP Clyburn! Welcome to the Obama train!

We're FIRED UP to CHANGE this country.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. Vote Obama

I am a supporter of Obama but I always carried respect for the Clintons. HRC showed her true colors during this campaign. She only cares about herself. In the beginning when she was winning she was saying oh Obama can win. Now she is playing the sore loser and her supporters are whiners.Stop the drama and vote Obama. Tired of all the drama and I believe in Obama. Just how I would believe in Hilary. But I am glad its going to be Obama as the nominee.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. tigerakabj

To the President McCain poster June 2nd, 2008 5:29 pm ET

You're right. Hillary Clinton would be George McGovern.

1. She didn't include the caucus states
    2. She included Michigan, who's votes were invalid

Do you research next time before bashing.

June 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. victoria

Being First Lady, IS NOT being President. There is a big difference in those two positions. Hillary has no more experince that Barack. Stop using that as an excuse!

June 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. the jackal

oK so now Obama is likely to be the candidate. Time to rally around him folks, all parties,man and women need to unite for the good of the country and the party.
    Now talk to gore and the 3 women governors who might be better choices as running mates.
    let's get this election on the road.
    To the stuper delecates,YOU were no HELP what so ever, And if you also had the countries best intrests at heart, you would alredy of voted. LOSERS

June 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. jason twombley-missouri

note...if you voted for the arrogant, cheating lying Hillary......just because she is a woman, yolu missed the entire political boat. ISSUES, and appearances make all the difference, not a plump in a pantsuit. geez peeps, you have a brain, and Hillary lost hers in her negativity, lack of spending control, hap hazard campain, and bashing everyone in her path....thus her downfall from a gracious woman to an arrogant ME ME ME !! fool..sorry, Hillary is a no-go......forever

June 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |