June 2nd, 2008

Uncommitted Senate superdelegates meeting

Undeclared Democratic senators are meeting to discuss their course of action.
Undeclared Democratic senators are meeting to discuss their course of action.

(CNN) — Several of the 17 uncommitted Senate superdelegates are currently holding a meeting to discuss their course of action after the polls close in the final two primaries, CNN has learned.

It remains unclear exactly how many and who of the uncommitted Democratic superdelegates in the Senate will be in attendance at the meeting, which is being held at the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee headquarters near the Capitol.

CNN spotted Sens. Tom Harkin of Iowa, Ken Salazar of Colorado, and Tom Carper of Delaware head into the meeting.

In a brief interview with CNN, Harkin said the point of the meeting is "to discuss what if anything we might do after the polls close tomorrow night together."

An aide to a senator in the meeting tells CNN's Gloria Borger that it’s “not likely” anyone will come out today with an endorsement. “It’s a how-do-we-do-what we-want-to-do” meeting," the aide said.

"Some want, after the primaries are over, to come out in a group; others feel the need to do it with state delegations. The Obama campaign wants a group of senators to come out together, for obvious reasons.”

The aide said it's “more likely,” the endorsements will come at the end of the week, but added, "anything is possible after Tuesday.”

(Updates with new information)

Earlier: Sources: Most uncommitted senators to endorse Obama

1. The Guy

Good. now all the women can vote for McCain

then McCain can roll back their rights to pre-suffrage, and we'll never have to deal with women in politics again!

June 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. TESAP

I hope they will use the correct math and the correct will of the people.

OBAMA 08 AND BEYOND

June 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. Darren M.

The battle is over. Everybody put your guns down. The family now needs to unite against a common foe, the GOP. Stand with your brothers and fight to reomove them, don't layin bed with them because you don't like the outcome of the primaries. Stayon topic, and remember what these contests are all about.

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Leave It Alone

Clinton supporters you do what you think is best. But I will not vote for McCain because I have been over to Iraq to fight for my country and yours and it was not easy leaving my family or looking over my shoulder 24/7 and pray every night that I will live to see another day. So if you feel you want McCain for president please put on a uniform, go to Iraq, leave your family for a year or so, look over your shoulder 24/7 and maybe even die.

I will pray for you.....WAKE UP!!!!

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. H

I WILL NOT CELEBRATE BECAUSE OBAMA DOES NOT DESERVE THE NOMINATION. HILLARY IS THE MOST QUALIFIED TO BECOME PRESIDENT. ONE THING I CAN SAY FOR HILLARY SHE STOOD HER GROUND FOR A LONG TIME THAT IS MORE THAN MOST MEN WOULD. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU. AND GOODBYE TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. JJ

I applaud both candidates for an extremely hard fought battle. This primary season will defintely go down in the history books for sure. GO DEMS!!!!!!

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Bart in SC

I wish that the Obama supporters would practice what Obama says he is for....Unity. Hillary Clinton is not dividing this party that job is in the hands of the OB supporters that blogs here and elsewhere. And to think I was once one of them. Please remember that Obama can not win the general election in November without a majority of Hillary's 17 million supporters. I will not vote for McCain and Obama will get my vote. But, I can not actively campaign for Obama after this primary season of hate and sexism.

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Bethany in Nashville

I'm a southern woman who is not going to bail ship and vote for McCain just because the Dem nominee isn't a woman. We need CHANGE, not bickering about race or gender.

If it happens to be a dual ticket with Obama & Hillary, I'm totally fine with that too. If if will bring the party together, I'm all for it.

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. TunnelVision

The fat lady has finished her sound check

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Tica

Why does this not feel like a democracy?

June 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. rdbtwthlins

Now we're begining to see who's really deciding the democratic nomination, it's the way the rules are setup after all.

Proud to say I'm not a part of that..

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Robert

Sen. Clinton and her campaign have only themselves to blame for her defeat. Both candidates played hardball - Sen. Obama just played it better. Please, no more whining about sexism and vast media conspiracies. The Clinton's should follow the advice they gave Obama - "If you can't stand the heat....."

He won. She lost. Grow up and deal with it.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. ml

politics are nasty, dirty, people do not want Obama at all, and here we go – again -someone who will run us more down the hill with addition of reverse racism. Great life. Not.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Mikey, Scottsdale AZ

President Obama,

Please, please, be careful you choose a VP you can trust ...in my mind that very very short list would include Colin Powell, Joe Biden, or Wesley Clark.

Healing a political party is not as important as healing a country and a world .

Making an error here may obliterate all you have accomplished which has been spectacular and amazing.

You are not only our Candidate for change, but our only hope for restoration !

From a genuinely concerned 60 year old white male under $40K income with two eyes, two hands, two feet, and a burdened heart for America !

God Bless & Protect You, Mr. President

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. Stupidity in Women

As a fellow owman I would like to say it is stupid and immature to think that because Mrs Clinton has lost then the party ought to lose to the worst case scenario (McCain) Obama was not as well known. With all the experience and name recognition Clinton had coming in as amo, she lost to someone who was not as recognizable. Let's face it, Obama has done wonders – it is inspirational. Give the man respect for that! Let's unite and move ahead!

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. bakersfield

OBAMA AND HIS SUPPORTERS IF YOU GET IT HE BETTER PRODUCE AND NOT BLAME IT ON ANYONE ELSE AFTER 4 YEARS OR HE IS OUT.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. gail

wow, I can not Imagine Clintons having no much power in the democratic party.
    I think father pfleger was right when he said she thought she was entitled.
    That was so hard for Obama to overcome.
    you are going downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn hillary. You are going down!

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. michael from NY

And you, Tara of Sarasota, will only have yourself to blame when McCain appoints Supreme Court justices who overturn Roe v. Wade.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  19. kingsley

it smeals fishy. I dont trust the clintons so i dont like this kind of news. they are like roaches, they just wont go away. oh she probably smuggled in some immigrant roaches from PR

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. J. C.

I'm with you, Tara! If Hillary Clinton withdraws or the DNC (since they've shown they can move delegates to whomever they wish to have them) bullies her out of the race, to those of us who have supported her, there is no "dream" Democratic ticket. If this happens, just be ready for another 4 years of Republicans. If Mr. Obama had until November of next year, I'll never be convinced.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. gone for good

The DNC and the democratic party owe the loyal lifelong female democrats- 51% of the population- the same respect, consideration and regard that they show their African American constituents (12% of the population)

Most women will not bend over and just let their party kick them in the butt like has happened in this primary by the DNC and the media.

We will not come back to save the party in the GE.

June 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Steve

The fact of the matter is that the polls show Obama can beat McCain just as well as Hillary can. So go ahead and ignore the rules, lets just set the rules up so Hillary can win. First she says Florida and Michigan won't count, but when she starts losing, she wants to change the rules and have them count for her. What a cheat. In fact I think Hillary has lost a lot of support in recent months due to her sore loser attitude.

June 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Allison Marie

Go home Obama.................

we don't want you here in Florida, and IF you're the nominee you'll have a tough time with winning the general, but give Oprah a call I'm sure she can buy that for you too.

Uncounted in Florida

June 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. Arkansas Undertaker

Go Obama & Hillary Go!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/CLINTON 08

WE LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!

June 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. Cookie

As a lukewarm McCain supporter, I just hope that Obama doesn't pick Hillary to be on the ticket. He won't get elected without her.

I'm glad this primary is over too. If only that meant we would stop seeing Trinity Church sermons on TV. How many more crackpots are they going to let speak there?

June 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |