June 2nd, 2008

Clinton message: She'll do what it takes in November

Obama insiders believe Clinton is sending signals she would be willing to join the ticket.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton is poised to deliver a message Tuesday "that she will do whatever it takes" to put a Democrat in the White House - a message that Barack Obama insiders say indicates she would accept an offer to be Obama's running mate if asked.

"In her speech tomorrow night, she will convey the message that first and foremost she is committed to Democrats winning in November and will do whatever she's asked to do," a close friend and adviser of the former first lady, who speaks with her regularly and is privy to her deliberations, told CNN Monday.

"She will do whatever it takes to bring the party together to win and whatever is asked of her to make sure the Republicans are defeated."

That message has been conveyed to the Obama campaign via informal channels, according to Obama insiders who said the message is a signal that she would be willing to serve as his vice president.

Both the Clinton and Obama campaigns told CNN that there have been no formal discussions between the campaigns.

Obama insiders are split over whether considering Clinton to be on the ticket is a good idea.

Full story

1. Lifelong Dem

Well, he just might win with her on the ticket. So why not? He better watch his back with ole Bill lurking in the shadows though.

June 2, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. SW

Please don't fall for the trap. There are plenty of good men and women that can serve the VP role.

No more Clintons!!!

June 2, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. M.C.

And this after she was so dissed by the DNC and some segments of the Democratic Party. Hillary supporters will not forget. Hillary in November or McCain!!!!

June 2, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. Laura

Thank you, Hillary!

June 2, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. Dal CA Republican

It would be very wrong for OBAMA to take Hillary as a running mate he will get not Hillary but Bill as well. Hillary will not be content with just being the Vice but will want to add her voice to the selections of anything that OBAMA as president will want to do, lot more than expected of a normal VP.

June 2, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. zephyr99

An Obama-Clinton ticket is the only way to heal the Democratic Party. After all is said and done, they will be a very formidable duo.

June 2, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Ted

Please, no Clinton for VP! A cabinet position, yes, but not a heartbeat away from the presidency!

Obama doesn't need the Clintons and neither do the rest of us. That chapter of US history is over, long may it rest.

June 2, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Your Party's Over

Take two aspirin and call it a day already Hillary !!

Buh Bye!
    Don't let the door hit ya one the way out.

June 2, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. Karen Grand Prairie, TX

Thanks to Hillary for doing the right thing, we hope. I personally do not believe she will be good on a ticket with Obama b/c she is not used to being #2 when she wanted so badly to be #1. I read that she would be a good Sec'y of Health and Human Services, I can see her in that role better than VP to Obama. Obama would not be able to come into his own with the Clintons in the small white house.

June 2, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  10. Liz

An Obama-Clinton ticket will NEVER receive my vote. Which means I'd stay home rather than betray my ideals and consider McCain a better substitute for Hillary.

June 2, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  11. RyanT, Dem Abroad, Berlin

then she only has to undermine him to get to the presidency, sounds easier than fighting the whole party.

DO NOT buy it Obama campaign.

I did not make donations to support her angst, her overspendings, and her corporate lobbyists.

June 2, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  12. Tammy - KCMO

Obama has a better chance of winning without the Clintons as his VP. After everything they've done, how could anyone trust them – especially Obama! He needs someone that is willing to work with him without wondering when the next stab in the back is coming. I can't think of a worse running mate.

June 2, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  13. The Truth

I truly hope she means what she says....

If it is true I will applaud her effort to unite our party.

We can disagree as a party...but our fight is with Bush, McBush and the Republicans......

Lets take back the White House....Bring our troops home, soon....and help McLame retire in the Senate.....All Democrats United!

OBAMA '08!

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Adrian

Clinton as Vice President is NOT change. It is back to politics as usual.
    A 100% pure professional politician in the house. If Hillary is VP I am voting for McCain. At least he is truthful about who he is.

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  15. NORA, FLORIDA

LETS GO DEMS WE ARE FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!!!!! NO MORE BUSHHHHHHHHHHH ITTTTTT

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Dear God...
    Please accept Hillary as the Vice President!!

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. Alexander

He might put her on the ticket, but she will be fired soon afterward.

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  18. JC

Sorry! After getting to know Hillary in this primary,
    I can't see myself voting for Obama with Hillary as his V.P.

I will vote McCain or an Independent.
    I cannot trust Hillary anywhere near the White House.
    She is an irrational reckless person and so is Bill.
    There is no way I can make her the No. 2 in line.
    And, that is a rational decision.

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  19. Dave P: Iowa City, IA

Does that also mean she would support him even if she gets nothing?

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. Natasha

I almost think that Hillary sounds scarier than John McCain at this point... Good thing I back the man who will get the nomination, Senator Barack Obama

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  21. ron

Hillary please never go with obama, he will be lossing this November election. He hurts you a lot, he's a fake guy and we will never support him. We can swallow a dirt from the toilet but we can't swallow a dirt that Obama has. He's a cheater and the greatest liar in American politics history. Just stay apart from his group and keep fighting till the people realize your value for the American people.

June 2, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  22. Tom

She undermines the entire message!

June 2, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. BHO

Taking Hillary as VP is a dissaster for Obama because she was asking Obama as VP when he was leading. How can he accept Hillary even after she talked about the murder of Robert Kennedy?

I hope she may have some other plans to become president!

June 2, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  24. McFeign

Nobody who voted for this war belongs anywhere near the oval office, let alone a heartbeat away.

June 2, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. NickNas

Obama will lose MILLIONS of Voters and Hundreds of Millions of Dollars in Donations if he adds her to the ticket. I will not support ANYTHING that puts Bill Clinton or Hillary Clinton out in the world to represent me in anything. Thaye have shown themselves to be contrary to most of everything I was raised and how I raised my children to be.
    I am not alone.