June 2nd, 2008

Clinton message: She'll do what it takes in November

Obama insiders believe Clinton is sending signals she would be willing to join the ticket.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton is poised to deliver a message Tuesday "that she will do whatever it takes" to put a Democrat in the White House - a message that Barack Obama insiders say indicates she would accept an offer to be Obama's running mate if asked.

"In her speech tomorrow night, she will convey the message that first and foremost she is committed to Democrats winning in November and will do whatever she's asked to do," a close friend and adviser of the former first lady, who speaks with her regularly and is privy to her deliberations, told CNN Monday.

"She will do whatever it takes to bring the party together to win and whatever is asked of her to make sure the Republicans are defeated."

That message has been conveyed to the Obama campaign via informal channels, according to Obama insiders who said the message is a signal that she would be willing to serve as his vice president.

Both the Clinton and Obama campaigns told CNN that there have been no formal discussions between the campaigns.

Obama insiders are split over whether considering Clinton to be on the ticket is a good idea.

Full story

1. wanbligi

Hillary is so divisive and we have seen that already in the campaign. I think the best thing to do is let Barack Obama and his team, I understand that a former CEO of Fannie Mae has agreed to help Obama in his VP search, make that decision.

If she was interested in helping the party why was she running negative ads instead of her campaign message.

Obama please to do not offer or pick Hillary as your VP.

Thanks.

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. Susan

Hillary please never concede!! We can never support Barack Obama regardless of anything will happen in your campaign.

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  3. rumpusgoopus

"she will convey the message that first and foremost she is committed to Democrats winning in November and will do whatever she's asked to do"... but...

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. Erik C in Ohio

A Obama/Clinton ticket is exactly what our party needs. She's already popular, why would he risk choosing someone who hasn't been in the political lime light and lose against McCain? I'm a Hillary supporter and I'm willing to support him but I still want to see my candidate on the ticket.

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  5. No McSame

Obama can win without Hillary. A vote for McCain as someone said if a vote for pain. Many others stuck out their necks early in this race for Obama that don't have the baggage that Clinton has. We want change not the same. Time to move on. Bill is a hazard for all that is close to him.
    Thanks but no thanks Clintons

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. Mark, Portland, OR

There has got to be another way for Obama to get enough people behind him to take down McCain. After her atrocious conduct during the latter half of this primary season, Hillary Clinton simply does not deserve the presidency OR the vice presidency.

June 2, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  7. Robert Parks

...sounds like desperation to me.... seems like she's willing to stoop to any length to get into the White House again... dunno what anyone else thinks about this but I'm tired of power mongers in the White House... she needs to quit the race and forget about the White House..... she's a lousy senator and would most likely follow suit as a lousy president. I, for one, have had more than enough of the Clintons

June 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. MI Women 4 Obama!

Well this is all cozy and nice but we won't forget what she's put everyone through for months now...Hillary and Bill. As a Democrat she should do everything she can to make sure a Democrat gets in the White House.

But NO CLINTON's on the ticket. I will not vote for Barack if Hillary is on the ticket. She's an evil woman and would continue to make the nation miseable. NO! NO! NO! No, Clinton's.

I detest McCain but I detest the Clinton's even more!

Obama & anyone but a Clinton!

OBAMA 08/12 !!!

June 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  9. dem

An Obama-Clinton ticket pleases no one! Obama supporters don't want anything to do with the corrupt Clinton; Clinton supporters will demand that Hillary be on the top of the ticket.

Winner: McCain

June 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  10. CATHY

I will not vote for that ticket.I will write her name in but canot vote for obama................

June 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  11. Doris Hudspeth Miller

For the same of my sanity and hearing can the producers encourage Campbell Brown to tone down that nasal whine and baby-talk lisp? This is grating on my sensitive southern ears, as it must be to others. Try a little husky "Lauren Bacall." Remember her, honey? She still sounds good. Whines belong to very young children whose parents think it's cute. Maybe you producers think it's sexy. It isn't !

June 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  12. brian near toronto

GAD! No, please no. She will do whatever is needed to put herself in the Whitehouse.

Barack, you're smarter than to take this poisoned bait.

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. Nija

YOU GO BABY I LOVE YOU HILARY.

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  14. @americans

let her drooooop out of the race tomorrow!

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  15. Tony

Bringing Hillary into the White House as VP is a can of works Obama doesn't need. Four years of being second guessed? Bill being there without responsibility will be as entertaining as Billy Carter. He needs to remember she said she'd do whatever it takes. I remember Vince Foster, and he was their FRIEND!!

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  16. Jim Richmond

I have been a Democrat for the past 20 years. It sickens me to hear so much hatred coming from Obama supporters and Obama supposed to bring new politics to the White House. I say no thanks to Obama's new form of hatred and will be moving on to McCain. I wish Hillary can change as I do and run as McCain's running mate.

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  17. SHERRY WV

Hill No!

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  18. John

Clinton lost her chance at the veep position a long time ago. If she had dropped out earlier and not of attacked Obama's religion, smeared Obama's name, and acted like a desperate politician, she might of had a chance. That is the only reason why she stays in it today, because the second place award is lost.

June 2, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  19. Doris Hudspeth Miller

Oops. I meant to sake "sake" instead of same...my mistake.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  20. Cherri

No No No NO to hillary for Vice-President. EVER. I am an independent voter, though usually have voted the Republican ticket. I will GLADLY vote for Obama, I will RUSH to vote for Obama - unless that wretched clinton is on the ticket with him. If he is stupid enough to take on the likes of her, he deserves nobody's vote.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Tony

Hillary is a joke of all jokes. Brittany Spears would be a better vice president.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. TKD

So she will do "whatever she is asked" to help us win in November. Really? What if we ask her to drop out tomorrow, endorse Obama, and give him have a free hand in choosing his own vice president, without playing games to try to force her way on to the ticket? Because that's what millions of Democrats are asking her to do, right now. We'll find out tomorrow if she's sincere.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Cirrus Franks

With any luck, she should run as a Independent!!!

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. Bubba

will obama be #57 ? Watch his back? He better never go to sleep with clinton around.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  25. NObama

Hillary is NOT a number 2! It's OK Hillary, let the democrats make the same mistake again! We know you don't quit, and you'll have NO problem beating McCain in 2012.

June 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |