June 2nd, 2008

Clinton message: She'll do what it takes in November

Obama insiders believe Clinton is sending signals she would be willing to join the ticket.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton is poised to deliver a message Tuesday "that she will do whatever it takes" to put a Democrat in the White House - a message that Barack Obama insiders say indicates she would accept an offer to be Obama's running mate if asked.

"In her speech tomorrow night, she will convey the message that first and foremost she is committed to Democrats winning in November and will do whatever she's asked to do," a close friend and adviser of the former first lady, who speaks with her regularly and is privy to her deliberations, told CNN Monday.

"She will do whatever it takes to bring the party together to win and whatever is asked of her to make sure the Republicans are defeated."

That message has been conveyed to the Obama campaign via informal channels, according to Obama insiders who said the message is a signal that she would be willing to serve as his vice president.

Both the Clinton and Obama campaigns told CNN that there have been no formal discussions between the campaigns.

Obama insiders are split over whether considering Clinton to be on the ticket is a good idea.

Full story

1. Chavis

You can help the Dems by going AWAY. Just go, take your pantsuits and go. Do America a favor and stop thinking about yourself for once.

Trust me America, Hillary will do what's best for Hillary. End of story.

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Phillybits

How do Clinton supporters who claim they will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee validate that decision knowing full well McCain is the polar opposite of Clinton?

I'm sorry, but I support Obama. However I'd vote for Hillary, irregardless of how I think she ran her campaign and despite some of the negative tones of her own campaign.

Not that Obama is a perfect saint either but no matter what, I'd still vote for Hillary had she been the nominee because ultimately, I'm a Democrat, not a Republican. And Democrats don't vote for Republicans.

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. Florida not for Barack Obama - Ever

if Hillary is on the ticket then I would vote for Obama if not NO WAY! This is the only way to unite the party we have not choice but to accept or else CIVIL WAR!

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. Anonymous

That ticket would be like Oil & Water.

The chemistry is completely off and it would be a power struggle during his administration. She did it under Bill's Adm., what makes one think that it would be different under a person that she kept critizing (i.e. J. McCain and her are ready 3 am).

Please don't offer it to her....She's radioactive!!!

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Ed H

I'm sorry, but her polarizing personality is an affront to any sane American. I pray she's left off the ballot for November.

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Ed -- Dallas

Barrack – Keep Hillary AND Bill Clinton as far from the White House as you can. These people will do ANYTHING to get the Presidency. If she is your Veep, you will win, no doubt. But then watch your back, hire food tasters and a personal security detail from Chicago, and don't leave the country with her still in town. One heartbeat away from the Presidency, I put absolutely NOTHING past those two whose lust for power is beyond measure.

Besides, you can win without her. Don't doubt that for a minute.

June 2, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. Jonny

it's about time.

give it up hill, no room for you & bill

country is votin' for obama

he could win runnin' with his mama

so you just go on back to new york

you're done...feel the fork ?

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. macmini

Careful Obama! Between her and Bill you might wind up fulfilling her prophecy of a dead president! Then SHE would get your job! I wouldn't turn my back on her; she casts a crooked shadow.

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Bob Sanders

It is really funny reading the Hillary must quit now posts. These are the same Democrats that 8 years ago believed that Hill and Bill walked on water. Then a new guy shows up, and now the Clintons are treated like they were Republicans. When Obama fails, which he surely will if he manages to win this fall, these same Democrats will be four square behind their man, right until someone else new comes along, then treat Obama like he was a Republican.

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  10. Steven in Oregon

If Hillary is not on the ticket, this Dem will vote for McCain

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Vintagevhs . net

Hillary has shown the world that the most pathetic people in the world can still be influential. Thankfully America saw through it and Obama will be our next President and not Hillary.

She's going to vanish here real soon.

Obama 08

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  12. amin

OBAMA / EDWARD 08
    OBAMA / BIDEN 08

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. Donna Hanson

I believe Hillary will be the best candidate to run for President. If she is not on the ticket, Obama will probably lose to McCain. I know I won't vote for Obama without Hillary on the ticket.

June 2, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. JD

This will be good for the democrats... The only way Obama will win the presidency is if Hillary is his running mate. I will not vote for Obama with out her on the ticket, although I prefer her to be the president, I will settle for the second place spot for 8 years then she will have her 8 years.

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  15. hrg

No! No! No! Do not put Clinton on the ticket. Barack can win without her! She hasn't earned the "right" to this position.

What she needs to do is endorse Barack and then campaign as hard as she can to rally her supporters so they will vote for him in November.

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  16. EJ in MD

As an Obama supporter I am torn. This pairing would heal wounds and be historic; but is it worth it? I just cannot bring myself to trust the Clinton's! In my heart, I really feel like she will try to do him as much harm as possible for her to win in 2012! I have to really pray about this.

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  17. aware

The only way Obama might have a chance of winning is with Hillary on the ticket. She is the stronger candidate, but It would take a high dose of humility to be a part of an Obama ticket.

And, why should she join the unethical, mean machine? I'm not convinced that the Dems are worth saving after the way they canabalized their best candidate. :(

Disillusioned Dems and Independents on the rise but voting for McCain for now. :)

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  18. Big D

I really think it would be a bad idea to give her the VP spot. There are so many other qualified and talented people out there, who do not have her 35 years of baggage. Sure it might help keep a few Democrats, but it's just not worth it for the drama that she'd bring. And there's many other suitable positions that she could have in Obama's administration. But please – do not include her as VP.

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  19. Defining moment

Don't do it !!! Enough with the dream ticket nonsense, it would be more like a nightmare ticket ....

June 2, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  20. Mike from Westchester

As upset as I have been with some of the things that have come out of the Clinton camp, I do believe that an Obama/Clinton ticket might be the way to go. It would bring the support of Hillary's female and Hispanic constituencies and help with the "blue collar" crowd. Between those constituencies and Obama's strengths with progressives, educated voters, independents, and African Americans, it might produce an almost unbeatable combination.

Both Bill and Hillary would have to understand that they cannot attempt to upstage Senator Obama. Also, there would have to be an understanding that Bill's role would be as an elder statesman, to be utilized as determined by the President.

I would like to say that I believe the Vanity Fair article was very unfair to President Clinton. This kind of rumor mongering with unnamed sources is very poor form. The timing is particularly tough, considering the Clintons are dealing with their first campaign loss in over 25 years.

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  21. IG

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. Brian MacDougall

Thank you for dropping out Mrs. Clinton. Your gracious departure will smooth the way in November, and I'm sure you'll do everything you can to help elect Obama.

However, being his running mate won't be one of them. Too little, too late. I'm afraid you'll have to defray that pesky $20 million on your own.

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. anthony

I won't vote for Obama if he doesn't offer Hillary a Veep slot.

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. David

If Obama is serious about healing our government and ending the "government as usual" clinton era, it is imperative that he not ask her to be his Vice president. The Clinton supporters may think it's a good idea, but the obama supporters are strongly against it. We need new blood in the White House. Someone we can trust and believe in. We are ready for that change.

O8AMA K

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. Shelly

This is sick. She will say or do anything to get more "power". Obama is much smarter than her and won't fall for it, however, playing tricks to "beat the republicans" says a lot about how desperate she is.

If you beat the republicans, it's because you have a great candidate. If you don't, then you deserve to be beat. Go home Clintons.

June 2, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |