June 2nd, 2008

Clinton reviewing 'options' - but says superdelegates could shift

Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”
Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (CNN) – Before leaving Puerto Rico, Hillary Clinton told reporters she is taking the presidential race “a day at a time” and is reviewing the “options available” as she moves ahead with her campaign.

“People have been trying to get me out of this race since Iowa and my political obituary has yet to be written and we’re going forward,” she said. (Related: Clinton says she's not ready for 'political obituary')

After Tuesday’s final two primaries, superdelegates will ultimately push either candidate up to the 2,118 delegates needed to secure the Democratic Party’s nomination. Barack Obama leads among this group, but Clinton pointed out superdelegates are always free to “change their minds” and she hopes they will evaluate her wins since February and the coalition of voters she’s pulled together.

“This has been such an intense process, I don’t think there has been a lot of time for reflection of the sort that I’m advocating which is okay we’ve had an extraordinary series of contests, I’m ahead in the popular vote, Senator Obama is ahead in the delegates … they’ve never been separated before,” she said.

“I think it’s only now that we’re finishing these contests that people are going to actually reflect. Who’s our stronger candidate? And I believe I am and I’m going to make that case and at some point it will either be accepted or it won’t be, but I feel strongly about making it.”

In its popular vote tally, the Clinton campaign includes the Michigan contest but does not award any uncommitted votes to Barack Obama whose name was not on the ballot.

Clinton reiterated she “reserves the right” to challenge the DNC Rules and Bylaws committee’s allocation of Michigan delegates – a decision she said was made in “violation of the rules.” She called the half vote penalty leveled against Florida’s delegation “unwarranted under the circumstances.”

When asked if she was concerned Obama could reach the 2,118 delegate mark within days, Clinton said, “it’s not over until the votes are cast. It’s not over until there’s actually a tally that gets somebody the nomination.”

Clinton said she was “thrilled” by her win in Puerto Rico. Her campaign plane stopped in Jacksonville late Sunday evening after leaving the island to refuel en route to South Dakota where she will campaign all day Monday.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jennifer - American in Canada

Me think that if Sen Clinton was ever picked as the VP she would be saying that she was actually the PRESIDENT and that everyone who thought otherwise was mistaken. There would be a debate every day as to who was the Real President....not a good idea to pick her as a running mate.....ever!

June 2, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. John

Her " Pressing onward" with the campain shows she has no intention of helping Obama win in the fall. She knows the more she pushes him now the less chance he has in November and the more of a chance she has to run against the incumbent McCain in 2012!!!

June 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. Bootie - Naija

Clinton, as an Igbo man, I know your plans and there is no point staying in the race. We all know you want to stay put so as to have people raise more fund for you to pay up your $20million debt. How can you be sponsoring yourself. If people are really for you, then they are to pull together for you and not the other way round

Obama/Emmanuel Kalu 08

June 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. Albon

For all of those ignorant people who claim that they are Democrats and would stupidly form their mouths to say that they would vote for McCain instead of Obama, whatever fate lies for your children's future you deserve!!!

June 2, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. Ed from VA

The ONLY option is to give it up and get out of the race ASAP!! I mean pack up your pants suits and go home already! Mr. Obama has important business finish.

June 2, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. Hillary Supporter

I give up, she's done. Obama really is the best choice for the Democratic nod. I really wished Hillary got the nomination but I have to face reality and back the more popular candidate. Sorry to disappoint my former faithful, but the time has come to pack it in and realize the painful truth and rally behind the party's choice. Good luck back in the Senate Hillary, you really gave it a great try. Better luck next time.

June 2, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. Julius above Montana

I think it is troublesome to claim the popular vote under ‘questionable’ mathematics that favors her while subsequently rejecting the opponent. And oddly enough, the same argument could be made on the other side – through a little less questionable math. Can you imagine if Hillary had done well in caucus states? ‘how important caucus states would be now’ but since they favor Obama now they are flawed. FL/MI….we don’t need them b/c they broke the rules, right…oh but now we need them b/c I’m losing??? Think about if the situations were reversed. Would Obama be doing what Hilary has done????????

peakarach,des moines -- love the list: make one up for clinton /McCain

June 2, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. Mike

Hillary's win yesterday is important because no one knows how many superdelegates are going to back her but the Puerto Rico win certainly won't *decrease* that number.

Folks, don't fool yourselves into thinking Obama has this thing locked up. Do you think the superdelegates are interested in dragging this thing out (possibly weakening our position for November) for no apparent reason? If there weren't superdelegates considering putting their support behind Hillary, the announcements would have been made long ago and this would be over.

The hysteria surrounding this thing is getting ridiculous. And it's getting hard to find anyone whose head is screwed on tight enough to be able to discuss the topic without displaying blatant bias one way or the other.

Remember: What's important is which is the stronger candidate vs. John McCain. Just because he or she is your favorite, that doesn't make him or her the stronger candidate!

June 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  9. Chuckster

Stay in there HIllary !! for those of you that say she should drop out be cause its the will of the People !!! I am for HILLARY, I am a voter. and your voice does not speak for me or any one else in america., my will..... my vote, my voice is MY CHOICE...

Go independent Hillary.... Its Hillary or i go MCcain!!!

June 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  10. Rick in Florida

EVERYONE READ VANITY FAIR (July issue) FOR A REALLY GOOD EXPLANATION WHY THE CLINTONS SHOULDN'T EVER BE ALLOWED NEAR THE WHITE HOUSE.....IN ANY CAPACITY AT ALL.

BILL'S MONEY DEALS, AND HIS SKIRT-CHASING SCANDALS, ARE GOING TO BE HEADLINES ONCE AGAIN.....WHO NEEDS IT ?????

June 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. a voter in New York

She is delusional. How can we trust her judgment when all she has done is twist facts or outright lie just to show herself in a positive light?

her saying she is still in the race is like saying a person who has been on life support losing ground every day for 5 months is gonna just wake up and be all fine and dandy.

All that is left for her campaign is to pull the plug. It's over. The only one who refuses to accept this is the delusional woman herself. is that a surprise to anyone? If so, get your cup, The line for the kool-aid starts to the left of Bill Clinton.

June 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Dan

This is just making me sick. All you Hillary supporters do realize that their views are practically identical right? And you would rather vote for McCain than Obama?! So you are honestly saying you would rather have 4 more years of a Bush White House than 4 years of a democrat in office? Four more years of war of the status quoa? As thousands of soldiers continue to die in Iraq and you are looking for someone to blame, all you have to do is look in a mirror.

June 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Sure, she is winning the popular vote the way McCain says we are winning the war in Iraq.

After all, statistics can be made to say anything.... 80% of the time.

June 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  14. Stevo PA

Now that sound like an arrogant, lone rider, divided GWB answer if any. GWB and Hillary are different chips off the same block!

June 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. Andy

I will vote for Hillary regardless of what happens. She can have my write-in vote. Obama is not the right person for the job and lacks the experience to lead our nation during a difficult time. He has also received less criticism and continues to be in a strange situation with his, now former, church. He may still have other baggage that is yet to come out.

McCain, while I respect the man's dedication to our nation, just does not symbolize what I represent and I cannot see myself voting for him.

The DNC does not understand that there are millions out there like me who do not think Obama is the right person for the job at this time. This is not blind faith in Hillary's candidacy. It is just knowing that of the 3 current viable options, I believe Hillary is the best candidate for this country.

It is also absurd that Obama gets to have any sort of delegate in his count from Michigan, a state that he received no votes in. Argue what you want about that but this is a fact. Obama was not required to remove his name from the ballot there. This misstep by the DNC leaders will really haunt them in November.

June 2, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  16. ed

For all those that think Hillary is running for the good of the country think again. If she wanted good for the country she would have done what Edwards did and ask for a spot in the administration so she can see that her agenda for the people is followed through. But it seems now that it is out of a personal goal to become president and not because she cares about the people. The reason why you have a lot of big name people like McCaulffe and Ickes ranting and raving about her being the nominee is out of personal gains as well, both of them along with some others may have been promised a position in her administration and now they are seeing that slip away from them.

June 2, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  17. Ex-pat in London

When is someone in the MEDIA going to point out, and point out adamantly, that Hillary is NOT ahead in the popular vote, this false claim is becoming soo utterly annoying.

June 2, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  18. Truth

Super delegates please vote for Hillary the most qualified candidate.

Me and my family will vote for Hillary (if she is the nominee) or McCain in November.

June 2, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |