June 2nd, 2008

Clinton reviewing 'options' - but says superdelegates could shift

Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”
Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (CNN) – Before leaving Puerto Rico, Hillary Clinton told reporters she is taking the presidential race “a day at a time” and is reviewing the “options available” as she moves ahead with her campaign.

“People have been trying to get me out of this race since Iowa and my political obituary has yet to be written and we’re going forward,” she said. (Related: Clinton says she's not ready for 'political obituary')

After Tuesday’s final two primaries, superdelegates will ultimately push either candidate up to the 2,118 delegates needed to secure the Democratic Party’s nomination. Barack Obama leads among this group, but Clinton pointed out superdelegates are always free to “change their minds” and she hopes they will evaluate her wins since February and the coalition of voters she’s pulled together.

“This has been such an intense process, I don’t think there has been a lot of time for reflection of the sort that I’m advocating which is okay we’ve had an extraordinary series of contests, I’m ahead in the popular vote, Senator Obama is ahead in the delegates … they’ve never been separated before,” she said.

“I think it’s only now that we’re finishing these contests that people are going to actually reflect. Who’s our stronger candidate? And I believe I am and I’m going to make that case and at some point it will either be accepted or it won’t be, but I feel strongly about making it.”

In its popular vote tally, the Clinton campaign includes the Michigan contest but does not award any uncommitted votes to Barack Obama whose name was not on the ballot.

Clinton reiterated she “reserves the right” to challenge the DNC Rules and Bylaws committee’s allocation of Michigan delegates – a decision she said was made in “violation of the rules.” She called the half vote penalty leveled against Florida’s delegation “unwarranted under the circumstances.”

When asked if she was concerned Obama could reach the 2,118 delegate mark within days, Clinton said, “it’s not over until the votes are cast. It’s not over until there’s actually a tally that gets somebody the nomination.”

Clinton said she was “thrilled” by her win in Puerto Rico. Her campaign plane stopped in Jacksonville late Sunday evening after leaving the island to refuel en route to South Dakota where she will campaign all day Monday.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dem in CA

Yeah, let's get all the supers to go against the will of the voters – good plan, Clinton. So much for the will of the people. With Clinton it seems the rule, "My way or the highway," is more apt.

She's approached this primary contest like Bush has approached the Iraq war. The similarities are eerie.

June 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. CitizenS

She will divide the party or die trying. Unbelievable. States"wo"manship? Honor? Democracy? Sounds like none of the above concern HRC. This is why this country is in a down sprial because of people like this who make up the government. Her underlying tactic is plain to see for those who care to look. She is basically, chipping away at any hope of unity or a democratic win if she is not the nominee. Oh, it would be grand if someone was smart enough to turn the table on her. However, we can buy into this nice-nasty routine of hers or we can say, let us do the right decision for this country to regain our eminence in power worldwide, reign in the terror evoking critics and say YES WE CAN! to rebuilding our country.

June 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Los Angeles Democrat

You'll notice HR Clinton has a Black man depicted in his picture, standing "behind" her. How ridiculous.

For the record, I am a Black 52 year old woman who was ready to vote for HRC UNTIL she came up with the "I'm white" statement a couple of weeks ago. I interpreted that statement to mean that she did not need or want MY vote, but was targeting whites. I did not CARE about her race until she made that statement.

Now I am an Obama fan. I will cast my Black vote for Obama.

Toni

June 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Sam

Honestly, it is about time for Clinton to step aside and ambrace and believe in Obama's "Change". It is upsetting to watch a person, who for apparently personal glory, push so relentlessly forward at the expense of pushing everyone back including the once-united Democratic Party. What even more sad is their wishful thinking of actually getting the Popular Vote by arguing that Michigan and Florida votes should be counted when she was, months earlier mute about it when she saw herself ahead in the race. Hillary should be ashamed of herself and should begin to accept the inevitable.

Obama for President or, if for any reason Hillary actually gets away with this one (something I'm sure is NOT of God's making), McCain for President.

June 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. Obalegerwright

I have never seen such rethoric from a pulpit in my adult life. I never thought of Catholic Priest as fire and brimstone preachers. This church seems to bring out the worst in people. What kind of church cheers at the humilation of people? These people were standing up falling down laughing and cheering at this display of hate and racism by Pfleger. He knew what they wanted to hear and he gave it to them. Catholic Priest who are pedophiles, do not stand at the pulpit and profess their perversions, to the cheers of the congregation.

June 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. Kenneth Lindsey

Maybe she doesot know how to spell the words it over I will help her out this contest it is 2118

June 2, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. EGabelli

I was appalled by Harold Ickes outrageous grandstanding! He was playing to the crowd for Hillary Clinton's ambitions at the expense of the Democratic Party's success in taking back this Presidency and repairing the damage done to this country by the Republicans.

AND now Hillary Clinton is lying about the popular vote, which has no bearing whatsoever on who our party nominates!

The Clinton campaign and supporters seem determined to sabotage the Democrats' chances in the general election if she is not the nominee. What does that tell you and the other Super Delegates?!

First, the Clinton's said they wanted the FL and MI delegates seated; and when the Committee gave them what they wanted by seating the delegates (even though these states broke the rules), AND the Committee gave Clinton a proportional share in FL, AND the Obama campaign graciously did not squabble over the 50/50 split in MI and gave Clinton the most delegates there (despite the fact that Obama was not even on the ballot!), Ickes had the gall and the nerve to make it sound as if Clinton was cheated and somehow Obama was responsible for hijacking the nomination!??!

Hillary Clinton has gone too far and has succeeded in giving the Women's Movement a bad name!

I am outraged at the recent behavior of the Clinton's and their campaign! And every Democrat who genuinely loves this country should be outraged too.

A White Female over 60!

June 2, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. Walter

GET OUT!

June 2, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. Jack in ND

I've always been offput by the Clinton's arrogant belief that they are the only ones who not only can win, but surely will, and that Obama simply cannot.

It's akin to Karl Rove and his "you have your math and I have THE math" in 2006.

And we all know how 2006 turned out.

June 2, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Kerry

OMG

Hillary, just please go away!

June 2, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  11. Tim

We will have a nominee this week and the party will unite.

Obama 08/12!!!

June 2, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. NEWSFLASH

NEWSFLASH June 2nd, 2008 10:07 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Hillary, here are your options:

1. Admit Defeat
    2. Admit Defeat

Post it already. Sheesh!

June 2, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. Gail

Go Hillary !

You have been a great canidate and I have enjoyed wathing you campaign...

All I can say if you don't get the nomination and he dosn't pick you as VP he will be very sorry politician.

Woman that you have appeled to all along will be moving towards another canidate or not vote at all.

MARK MY WORDS their is a movment regarding this matter woman will be making a statment in the fall...

June 2, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. AmyinTexas

She's a megalomaniac!

June 2, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. white male in pa

If Hillary does not win the nom that is due to her. I will vote McCain all the way

June 2, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Because it's so close between the two of them...I think it would be best to hammer it out and let the public settle with the conventinaires decision.

June 2, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. Marie

Whatever happens, Hillary, you and Barack have done more to involve people in the political process than anything has EVER done. You both need to be commended for that. The whole country is paying attention at last. Well done!

June 2, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. Kavin

She's right about Superdelegates being able to switch their vote. That's been evident over the past month as dozens of her Superdelegates have switched over to Obama....and it could get worse. When that happens, what excuse will she come up with...."they're abandoning me because I'm a woman!"

June 2, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  19. J

HRC, the divider, makes Republican happy!

June 2, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Charlie

I think its SICK if OBAMA gets the nomination ( This means that not one single vote counted ) Because Hillary got more votes than obama did. I believe with the rest of the country that The Popular vote ( Most votes counted should be the winner ) I will never vote again if Obama steals this election. Or i Might just vote for Mccain

June 2, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. Independant now

Anyone who wants Hillary to quit now is either sexist or racist.

June 2, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. ruby

This Democratic Presidential primary election was never going to be fair. Welcome to the world of Chicago/Illinois Politics. The Democratic nominee must now be determined behind closed doors? If Obama is selected as the Democratic nominee, this the change we can believe in: Barack Obama = Politics, Chicago Style.
    As they say in Chicago: "The fix is in."

June 2, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  23. for Obama

To changed mind:

Are you a perfect man? Oh, good for you.
    And H. Clinton never makes mistakes. Never.
    You got it, I hope. :)

June 2, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  24. scott

So many Hilary haters. This is an incredibly close race, she has every reason to stay in the race. I hope she wins!! She is much more experienced and can win the swing states that obama can't.

June 2, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  25. Ex-Hillary supporter

It is sad that she turned out to be such a huge disappointment as our first viable female candidate. Her lack of integrity is a major flaw.

June 2, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |