June 2nd, 2008

Clinton reviewing 'options' - but says superdelegates could shift

Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”
Clinton says she’s pressing on – but reviewing “available options.”

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (CNN) – Before leaving Puerto Rico, Hillary Clinton told reporters she is taking the presidential race “a day at a time” and is reviewing the “options available” as she moves ahead with her campaign.

“People have been trying to get me out of this race since Iowa and my political obituary has yet to be written and we’re going forward,” she said. (Related: Clinton says she's not ready for 'political obituary')

After Tuesday’s final two primaries, superdelegates will ultimately push either candidate up to the 2,118 delegates needed to secure the Democratic Party’s nomination. Barack Obama leads among this group, but Clinton pointed out superdelegates are always free to “change their minds” and she hopes they will evaluate her wins since February and the coalition of voters she’s pulled together.

“This has been such an intense process, I don’t think there has been a lot of time for reflection of the sort that I’m advocating which is okay we’ve had an extraordinary series of contests, I’m ahead in the popular vote, Senator Obama is ahead in the delegates … they’ve never been separated before,” she said.

“I think it’s only now that we’re finishing these contests that people are going to actually reflect. Who’s our stronger candidate? And I believe I am and I’m going to make that case and at some point it will either be accepted or it won’t be, but I feel strongly about making it.”

In its popular vote tally, the Clinton campaign includes the Michigan contest but does not award any uncommitted votes to Barack Obama whose name was not on the ballot.

Clinton reiterated she “reserves the right” to challenge the DNC Rules and Bylaws committee’s allocation of Michigan delegates – a decision she said was made in “violation of the rules.” She called the half vote penalty leveled against Florida’s delegation “unwarranted under the circumstances.”

When asked if she was concerned Obama could reach the 2,118 delegate mark within days, Clinton said, “it’s not over until the votes are cast. It’s not over until there’s actually a tally that gets somebody the nomination.”

Clinton said she was “thrilled” by her win in Puerto Rico. Her campaign plane stopped in Jacksonville late Sunday evening after leaving the island to refuel en route to South Dakota where she will campaign all day Monday.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. JustADude

Sen. Clinton,

The only option left is the "nuclear" one and even then it could cause more harm to your camp then Sen. Obamas. So the ball is in your hands...... what will it be ? (Love to see thing get hot)

WOOWWW !! These primaries are the best yet in ages.......

June 2, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  2. quent97

So now we're back to delegates are we? And if the supers don't buy the popular vote angle then what? Not to mention that the popular vote angle only signifies that Hillary is still not abiding by the rules of how a democratic nom is choosen. This goes to show that she will not abide by nor respect the rules of her own party yet she wants to lead it.

I once said I would be proud to vote for either candidate and that as a dem I am fortunate to have 2 very viable candidates running for prez, both with my concerns at heart, but I no longer feel this way. I can no longer continue to make excuses for the twists and bends and spin that Hillary has put out. I am trying really hard to hang on to even a shred of respect for Hillary but it's getting harder and harder everyday.

Nevertheless I must concede in that as a life long dem I will vote dem regardless, even if grudgingly should the nom be Hillary by some miracle.

GO DEMS!!!

June 2, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  3. Phillis B

I think Sen. Clinton is beginning to realize her chances for the nomination are between slim and none. Hopefully she will end this in a graceful way but with her behaviour throughout the campaign, I doubt it. Whatever happens in the next week or so, it's sure going to be interesting. I just hope the party can pull itself together, and keep McCain out of the whitehouse. I hope those that threaten to vote McCain if Hillary doesn't get the nod will stop and think about what they're doing. Our country cannot continue on it's downward spiral that Bush and his kind have caused.

June 2, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  4. Ab-TX

She is acting like a 6 years old girl begging Santa for her dream doll.
    She can do with all her tricks to to persuade Santa to give that doll to her."Only Good honest, never lie girls will have the doll", Santa said.
    I guess, she is NOT qualified for that doll.

June 2, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Yes, the superdelegates can switch but with so few left undecided and Obama having the largest count, they won't be switching over to Hillary.

June 2, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. Roger Cyr

It was obvious at the DNC meeting that the protesters was orchestrated by Hillary which was disgusting, screaming disruptive behaviour although it did reflect perfectly the arrogant and entitled behaviour that the Clintons hav displayed during this destructive ordeal. She has no values and is a pitiful site to see them unable to accept the inevitable

June 2, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  7. Susan MO

Keep going HIllary.

Our family hopes you will be the next president.

Hillary 08

June 2, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  8. FreshAir

oh, it IS written. she's just forgotten how to read.

June 2, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. Anonymous

She's still in denial.

June 2, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. Dan

Clinton will soon be ashamed of not conceeding earlier. she's behaving like a little girl. Obama will definately get the 48 to win and unite the party. Obama! Obama!! Obama!!!

June 2, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. Gabrielle, Lancaster SC

I can respect the fact that Sen. Clinton is willing to fight for what she wants; however, it is difficult for me to respect her and her supporters crying that Florida and Michigan are so disenfranchised and that their votes aren't being counted the way they were supposed to.

If those states had followed the rules, this would be a non-issue. It's amazing that so many Clinton supporters actually blame Sen. Obama for this mess. He simply followed the rules. Why should he be penalized for doing so. The way the DNC decided to split the votes wasn't necessarily fair to Sen. Obama, but that's life.

I would really appreciate it if Clinton supporters would step out of their emotions for a minute and imagine how you would be feeling if the tables were turned, and Sen. Obama was calling for a rule change just because it suited his needs.

June 2, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. Carlos From NJ

As much as I loved the Clintons, I simply can't understand how they refuse to accept the reality when they it comes to losing. HRC, stops bringing our party down. You LOST and there's no way around that.

If the so call "Super Delegates" continue to play Clinton's game and allow this to continue any further than tomorrow, then the Democrats don't deserve to win in November.

June 2, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  13. Tom Huntington,NY

Yes the SDs could shift but probably not in her direction.

It's time to call off the dogs and concentrate on defeating McLame.

June 2, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  14. Char

Clinton is an Angry, Bitter and Mean Woman
    She needs to Go Away and Keep a Better EYE
    on Bill's roaming EYES to the Ladies

June 2, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  15. Travis

Well if the current trend keeps up then superdelegates will be switching from Clinton to Obama.

Clinton would have to secure 88% of the remaining Superdelegate to clinch the nomination. Granted, hell could freeze over and pigs could fly but I'm guessing that's not going to happen between now and the convention.

June 2, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  16. Just -- wow.

If Clinton is really so ignorant of the principles of mathematics, let's hope she doesn't manage to steal the primary! She can scream "I'm better. I'M better. I'M BETTER!" all she wants to, but that doesn't make it so.

June 2, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  17. obama =supporter==ARKANSAS

every day i am inlitened more to see how power hungry the clintons are to go on,knowing they are destroying any hope to put the dem.party back in the wh. if she can't win, no dem will win
    she is handing it to mcsain on one of her silver platters. god forbid, hillary think and grow up. we the voters owe you nothing. you owe us the right to have a better future then the past. you are taking it away from us. but with your money, you don't care. i am a 65 year old white woman in arkansas and i speak for myself only, i lost all respect for the clintons, and your legacy in ar is gone, bills is to. don't say you care for our country, don't say you are ahead in pop. votes, you are delusonal, it is not so
    just go away

please post this

June 2, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Cammi317

If they wanted to shift, they would have done so by now. You know, like the way they keep shifting from Clinton to Obama.

June 2, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  19. Cynthia

The superdelegates would have to do a whole lotta shifting in order for her to make up the numbers. Senator Obama is about 41 away give or take from reaching 2118. We all know that he will get there easily before she would possibly get the shifting that she would need to even catch up. Everyone knew that she was expected to win by large numbers in Puerto Rico, so there is no surprise there. We will have to wait and see what South Dakota and Montana brings to each of the candidates.

June 2, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  20. robert e lowe

hey hillary cnn wan't let me say any good about you

June 2, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. james

Hillary – you are absolutely the strongest candidate hands down. It's too bad the young voters just simply think undefined change is the prescription for this great country. They don't get it – we are going to get change with anyone... if that's all we want then maybe we should push Reverand Wright for president – now that would bring CHANGE.

Clinton supporters, we must teach the ignorance of Obama followers and do what's best for them and all. Vote McCain 08 for Clinton '12.

June 2, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  22. IloveVA

The hostility coming from Clinton and her camp is really ugly.

This whole Michigan and Florida thing is crazy. If she thought they should be counted she should have said so from the start but she thought she would walk through the nomination so she paid it no attention. NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN ITS A VOTER'S RIGHTS ISSUE? No its a last grab for power issue and we see through it!

If clinton is anywhere on the ticket, I will not vote.

Obama/Albright '08

June 2, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  23. no spin and straight talk for Obama 08

I have to agree with the repugs: the clintons are unfit for leadership.

June 2, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  24. Jason

Pathetic!

June 2, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  25. Less, Austin Tx

There is nothing to challenge, the DNC committee has already made their decision and it is time to move on.

Of course it was "unwarranted" for Hillary because it didn't benefit only her.

If it had been the other way around, Obama was behind and she was ahead – No Way Hillary would have argued any voters rights, she would have argued the fact that they broke the rules.

She didn't care before she found out she was losing and a lot of self- respected people knows this. It is time for Hillary to stop and realize that she actually doesn't have the "controlled power" over the DNC committee as she thought she had.

June 2, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |