June 2nd, 2008

McCain praises Clinton’s campaign

John McCain told supporters Monday he admires the campaign Hillary Clinton has run.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) – During a town hall meeting on Monday afternoon in the historical home of the Grand Ole Opry, John McCain attacked Barack Obama on no less than six different topics, ranging from the Illinois senator’s single visit to Iraq in early 2006 to not supporting the nominations of Supreme Court justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito.

However, McCain had nothing but kind words for Hillary Clinton whose candidacy has been declared all but dead.

“I have known Senator Clinton, I admire her and I respect her,” said McCain in response to a questioner who noted that Clinton is still in the race. “She has inspired generations of American women to believe that they can reach the highest office in this nation.”

“I admire the campaign that she has run, she deserves a great deal of credit,” he added. “A few of us who have been around politics for a while learned a lesson way back in 1992 that you better never count a Clinton out of any race.”

McCain said that they have had their differences on the Senate floor, but drew applause from the Nashville crowd for emphasizing his respect for Clinton.

Clinton has insisted that if she fails to win the Democratic nomination, she would work with Obama to unite the party ahead of November’s election. But there is no doubt that if her campaign fails, McCain will – and may already – be targeting her white, working class and older voters Obama has had trouble winning over.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Doc Sinn

McCain is pathetic. Truly pathetic.

All through his campaign he's been bashing HRC and her "liberal" policies......

Then when it turns out she's not going to be the nominee he tries to gain her ignorant supporters, who are mad and threatening to jump party lines because their Queen "didnt win".

Go ahead, Hillary supporters. Follow McCain into the abyss of $5 gasoline and 100 years in Iraq and the inevitable oveturning of Roe v Wade. Stupidity becomes you.

June 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. Alice in FL

Ummm, Bearings – the word os polE, not polL (polE is what you crash into, polL is something dufus news stations take to determine that Barack is electable in November

You're so ignorant – just like all the Obamabots

June 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  3. C-Double

McCain is just sorry that he doesn't get to run against Hillary. He would much rather face her because he knows how polarizing she is. People either love her or can't stand her. She is showing her true colors as a sore loser. I am tired of the arguments about popular votes. Didn't we learn any thing from the vote in 2000? If popular votes mattered, Al Gore would have been president. The rules are the rules, and only losers ask for rule changes at the end of the game....

June 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. Democrat in major swing state

Why are you censoring my comments?

I would think that a journalist, especially, would
    promote freedom of speech.

June 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. Scott FL

It is amazing how many people have no clue what they are voting for. The reason our country is in the pits is not the leaders, it is the people who choose our leaders. Take responsibility, and if you are voting solely on emotion, for the love of our country, stay home and let the people who actually understand the issues elect our leaders. Only then will our country succeed.

June 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. Bill PA

Hillary all the way

June 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. mobspeak

michael June 2nd, 2008 10:04 pm ET
    I'll give McCain my vote becuase the DNC thinks my vote is only worth half.

Personally, Rethug troll, I think you are worth less.

June 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. samatha

Awe! Isn't that sweet McCain praises Hillary Clinton. McCain won't have any more help fighting Obama. Now it's mono to mono. Let's rock!

Obama 08!!!!

June 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. Sandra, FL

I won't bring myself to vote for Mccain. I was for Hillary but I now support Obama. Their policies are basically the same. He seems like a good man to me. Come on sisters, let's all support him!

June 2, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  10. Newly Independent in Oregon

Can you imagine having to train your new boss?

This is what Hillary would have to do as VP to Obama.

Hillary would make a great Secretary of State.

June 2, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. Anonymous

"I'll give McCain my vote becuase the DNC thinks my vote is only worth half."

But it is the Florida republicans that did that to you. And in case you forgot the Florida Republicans took half the votes from the delegates in the states that jumped in line too. Yeah – republicans punished those states too.

June 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  12. Nick Wright

Jack & Kate – the only thing making Barack "unelectable" is the idiocy of turncoats like you who care more about a frequently abused campaign slogan than the actual issues. Wake up!

June 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Sandy

Here is another democrat switiching to McCaine. After what the DNC has done and cheating Hillary and disrespect from the media, i am all for him. Just to make sure Obama is not voted in.I do not want an idiot for president.

June 2, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. NoHitwomanHillaryOnVpTicket

It is quite obvious that most of those who dislike Obama are motivated by hate of his race. The truth is Hillary does have more in common with McCain and maybe she should jump onto his ticket and they can get all of the white, hard working white uneducated voters.

June 2, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. Bitter Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

Leftist June 2nd, 2008 10:21 pm ET

McCain is a liberal conservative.

--------------–

A liberal conservative??? I'm laughing so hard it hurts. Can you tell me what that is, exactly? Is it anything like jumbo shrimp?

The truth is, the McCain we see this summer and fall is not the same guy who used to vote against Republican bills in the Senate. He has sold out to the right wing of his party in order to win the nomination.

June 2, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. donna

I am over 60 and came from a pure democrat family and have voted that since I was 18. I am so sick of the racist thing. Everytime something is said if it is not praise for him then it is a racist thing. But now thanks to obamas preachers and his crybaby campaign people I have to consider voting for mccain. or praise be maybe there will come forth an independant that will run and I will consider them. I do not do the blog thing but do read them and it makes me sick to read the blogs now and this kind of thing is what is changing my position on my voting democrat.

June 2, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. H. Ali Tosis

So McCain loves hillary eh?? Can anyone say pandering slimeball???

June 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  18. R Cooper

I can't wait to see who the West Virginian's vote for after Dicky Cheney called them in-breeders.

June 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

WHO CARES WHAT THE OLD CRAZY WARMONGER THINKS.

June 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  20. V, Chicago

"I'll give McCain my vote becuase the DNC thinks my vote is only worth half."

Are you crazy? Did you forget that it was the Florida republicans that created this fiasco in Florida and that RNC ALSO took half the delegates from states that jumped ahead? Has spite caused you to have amnesia? How ridiculous can you folks be?

June 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  21. lou

You Hillary fans crack me up. I cant believe that you are foolishly pandering for that habitual liar (Bosnia, $10M after Penn primaries,etc, etc).

And for you to cry about the DNC ruining your chances if a joke also. Even if they had given Michigan and Florida all of the votes, Hillary would have still been short of Obama by over 100 delegates.

While i applaud your enthusiam, I am very disappointed in the person that you decided to put so much hope in. I used to be a Clinton fan (Bill and Hillary), but they have shown their true colors during this primary. I hate to admit it, but my Republican friends have been right about the Clintons all along.

June 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  22. Jack & Kate

How can the DNC Rules Committee determine that 1/2 vote and 1/2 person in Michigan and Florida are ok? It's ludicrous. The Democratic party cannot be in the business of disenfranchising voters. It calls to mind the ole Jim Crow laws when blacks were considered 3/4 a person. THIS is worse! The Democrats should be ashamed. Obama should be ashamed. Stay in this race Hillary, no one will be nominated until the end of August at the convention.

June 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. james

And long before this time has come I've stated that I cannot and will not vote for the Obama boy. NEVER. For me the best candidate is Hillary and I had hoped McCain would become the GOP candidate (thank God) so I could have a true American Patriot as an alternative.

Thank you God for having a second best choice in McCain.

McCain'08 for Clinton '12

June 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  24. Oscarin

Thank you Senator McCain - Hillary's supporters will vote for you in November. Watch out Hillary haters!

Obama and Michelle Obama SUCKS....

June 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |