June 2nd, 2008

Purdum defends article slamming Bill Clinton

CNN

Watch part of Todd Purdum's interview with Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) – The Vanity Fair journalist who infuriated the Clinton campaign over the weekend with an explosive article that questions former President Bill Clinton's business dealings and behavior since leaving the White House strongly defended his reporting Monday in an interview with CNN.

Todd Purdum, the national editor of Vanity Fair, stood by his article's most controversial assertions in an interview with Wolf Blitzer, including charges that aides to the former president believe his 2004 heart surgery fundamentally altered the 61 year-old's state of mind.

Purdum, a former White House reporter for the New York Times and the husband of former White House Press Secretary Dee Dee Meyers, also defending his claim that some aides grew concerned with rumors Bill Clinton had been "seeing a lot of women on the road."

The lengthy article hits newsstands later this week, though Vanity Fair has posted a copy on its Web site. That prompted a blistering response from Clinton campaign spokesman Jay Carson Sunday night, who called the piece "journalism of personal destruction at its worst."

"A tawdry, anonymous quote-filled attack piece, published in this month’s Vanity Fair magazine regarding former President Bill Clinton repeats many past attacks on him, ignores much prior positive coverage, includes numerous errors, and ultimately breaks no new ground," he added.

Full story

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Marc PDX

Will Hillary go gracefully? Does it look like it???

June 2, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. jones

According to the news...Hillary is soon to give up. If that is in fact the case, it won't matter what she says or how she tries to back Obama – I will switch to the Republican's candidate. I don't think Mr. Obama...nor the rest of the party leaders in Washington realize – I don't think they will get many of us. They have not made wise decisions in backing a candidate – unless they don't mind that the Democrats won't be in office until 2010 – when Hillary runs again! I'm actually starting to "listen" and maybe pulling out of Iraq right now would be a mistake – sounds like we're winning. If Mr. Obama gets in office – we'll lose as well.

June 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. wonder

Is this suppose to be reporting???? Sounds more like sour apples or jealousy, or maybe gossip monger. Why do supposed reporters like to cause people trouble, I never read his and now I know why, he's really a very dumb person,

June 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. steven

About Time, If Bill Clinton was black this garbage would of surface a long time ago.
    The Clintons had it far to easy.

June 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. jsmith

The Democrats had better start listening to Rush – Stories like this have been put out there to make sure the Clinton camp goes away...kind of like the Reverend Right right??? Sure is funny how that guy just kind of disappeared and even up and retired...anyone checked the rivers lately???

June 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Dany

As to whether this is pertinent to Sen Clinton's campaign, I seem to recall that Geraldine Ferraro went down in part because of her husband's business shenanigans – of course it appeared that was a participant to some degree.

So how much do we need to vet a candidate's spouse?

Will Cindy McCain undergo the same scrutiny?

We'll have to wait and see...

June 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. Keyon

This is not the first time. God will deal with him.

June 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  8. John James

Why are people attacking the messenger? This is all very reasonable and perfectly fits the Clinton pattern we all know.

I was glad to see the financial ties as the Clintons' recent fortune (even without the missing 2007 tax return) begs for more investigation into library donors, presidential pardons, and Hillary's earmarks.

I only wish he had included Bill's fees as lobbyist for other governments–i.e. $800,000 from Colombia for lobbying for CAFTA. I'm still surprised how the media overlooked it (Obama, of course, just wanted to run on his issues and never brought up ANY dirt, past or present, on the Clintons. Imo, that was too bad.)

June 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. rickG

we get what we deserve

June 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Goodluck

I don't think this is the right time to pick an inexperience candidate for US president. I feel sorry for america if indeed OBAMA will be the next president. MCCain would be a better choice than OBAMA.

June 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. Dilly Wa

This may be part of the cause. But, basically he has antisocial personality disorder traits such as evelvated self importance, sense of entitlement, promiscuity, tendency to lie, and blaming of others for what is his own doing. His wife has the same problem but cries rather than turn red and angery in public.

June 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. J Hurley

By the looks of Purdums lips, it looks like he might have suffered a slight stroke at some time in the past. Best wishes to him in his recovery from nasty fantasies.

June 2, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. Marc PDX

The Clintons are doing their darndest to sully whatever positive view history would have taken of them. Must have been consulting with Jimmy Carter.

June 2, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

People have been saying how negative Obama voters are, but on May 31, the nation watched and saw who the animalistic, hateful people were.

No disrespect, but Clinton's supporters "showed out" at the rules convention. Grown people acting like rabid individuals.

I dare anyone to dispute this fact. CNN post this. It's nothing but the truth.

Obama/Sebelius 08

June 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. Puzzled

I'm sure Obama will be blamed for this article and he didn't have anything to do with it. I wish the media would really report what is meaningful to the people instead of stuff that will tear someone down. Bill Clinton has probably lost more sense over the years than many people ever had in the first place. I'd still bet on him being able to connect the dots unlike some people I know.

June 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. KE

All the news people and the Obama people's arguments are weak. So how are they going to give Obama a nomination?

June 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. For the Black Eagle

If Bill sincerely wants to know who's not showing Hillary respect then he should just look in the mirror.
    Purdums report confirms my fears about the Clintons:
    1. Is it Bill who's plunging Hillarys camp into debt?
    2. If Bill and Hillary have failed to show that they can manage a
    campaign budget how ever will they handle the US budget?
    3. I think Bills motorcade should not only be searched for women
    without IDs but also for bags containing seeds of bitterness &
    disunity.
    BILL LEAVE HILLARY ALONE!

June 2, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Edie

I am always amazed at those who are now slamming the Clintons are the very ones that gained so much during the eight years Mr. Clinton was President. Will all those who advanced during those 8 years please stand in line to donate all their worldly goods and monies accumulated during that time to the homeless in Louisiana and to the Food Banks which are losing ground daily?
    I didn't think so.

June 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Lina

What bothered me most about Bill Clinton's sexual escapades when he was President, were the weird sexual things he did in the Oval Office itself. To me, that was like abusing the flag, and indicated to me that he had no real respect for the office he held or for his country. He used to be very glib and charming, but that is surface stuff. If he had any real self-respect, he would not have done the things he did in the Oval Office. Why could he not have done them anyplace else but there? I wonder what a psychiatrist would make of it, if they were not afraid to speak out about it, as so many people are. Because of Clinton's past behavior, I do not find it hard to believe that he has been behaving irresponsibly again, and if it is true, then I see no reason why a journalist should not report it.

June 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Austine I

Can someone tell the Clintons to stop wasting the money , poor American's have contributed. 7 days canival for meaningless campaign in Purto Rico?.

June 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  21. Johnnie T Martin

If this guy did not bother to name the people that said these things about Bil Clinton Wolf had no business having him on the show. Tha t was the most insulting junk I have heard of seem this primary season. You owe the Clinton's an apology.
    Purdum is a liar and should discounted.

June 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |