June 2nd, 2008

Sources: Most uncommitted senators to endorse Obama

Most of the 17 senators who remain uncommitted will announce their support of Obama, CNN has learned.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Most of the seventeen Democratic senators who have remained uncommitted throughout the primaries will endorse Barack Obama for president this week, CNN has learned.

Sources familiar with discussions between Obama supporters and these senators tell CNN’s Gloria Borger that the senators will wait until after the South Dakota and Montana primaries to announce their support for Obama.

Two sources familiar with the sessions said the endorsements will come sometime later this week.

Obama supporters have been “pressing” for these superdelegates to endorse earlier in the week, but according to one source, “the senators don’t want to pound Hillary Clinton, and there is a sense she should be given a grace period.”

A series of meetings on the topic have been facilitated at different times by Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin. Durbin and Daschle are Obama supporters, while Harkin is uncommitted.

According to CNN’s Candy Crowley, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will remain uncommitted until Clinton officially drops out of the race.

1. Jo

I am sorry to say that I have to agree that Obama will not win. Hispanics, women and older voters are not going to support him. He needs to start laying out his plan to change the policies of the current administration or he will be viewed as "all talk and no action".
    As for me I'm still undecided on who I will vote for. I sure would like Obama to show me his stuff. If I want an inspirational speaker I can listen to Tony Roberts.

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  2. Nia

I think Mrs. Clinton's "grace periods" are pretty much used up.

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. Really I mean Really

way to go Bill that was a AWESOME comment

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. Tony, Miami

2 MORE DELEGATES FOR OBAMA THIS MORNING WOOOOOOOW

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. Rashawn the leftist like President Obama

Ive been saying this for almost a month in my comments here on CNN. But the Clinton News Network keeps deleting my comment. Nancy and Harry and suppose to endorse Obama either tomorrow or Wednesday morning. I just hope Hilary takes time during this "grace period" to realize its over and not make her top supporters say they are going to the credentials committee.

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Renee

I find it insane that the Senators waited this long in order not to "pound" Hillary. If the situation were reversed, and Hillary were leading Obama in the delegate count by 200+, the Senators would have forced Obama out of the race some time ago. The ONLY reason they haven't declared their vote is because Hillary is a Clinton. Talk about special treatment.

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Ralph, We are sorry to disapoint you. But there is no way Mccain is going to win the general election and be prez, no way. It does not matter who he runs against.

June 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Foreigner

I've been waching this rollercoaster for a while, as a Venezuelan national, I can only hope for the american people to choose the right option. The grave error of only believing one's ears and not looking into a "real" career in politics has thrown my country to the wolves. Stop populism from robbing your country as mine has been taken from us.

June 2, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  9. Ross

Patience my Obama friends. We will have our victory soon enough. I wish the super d's would come out sooner but some of them are deliberative if not painfully cautious and calculating. Let's work on defeating McSame.

June 2, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

From all that we have seen and heard from Hillary so far, she will probably still remain in the fight but Barack will be able to officially pivot and move on to the general election. I really wish that I knew what her end-game is as one minute she seems to be positioning herself to run in 2012, the next like she wants to be on the ticket, and another minute like she wants to destroy the party for McCain to win.

June 2, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Obama/Hillary 08

Obama/Hillary for president of the United States yes they still can shift to an Obama/Hillary ticket to unite the party and win real real big in November.
    We Democrats are possionate supporters of who we like to be the nominee but we are not stupid; We will still support our nominee overwhelminly.
    The math is impossible for Hillary Clinton and superdelegates and Clinton must admit it that it is Barack Obama nomination. Everyone can tell you so. We do not want any false play from the superdelegates since they have the last say on Wednesday if they want to get the white house with Obama/Hillary strong ticket.
    What a big Democratics celabration an Historical one with an Obama/Hillary strong ticket. yes!yes!yes!!

June 2, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  12. No More Clinton!

Hey SEAN, how is McCain suppose to fix our country? All our money is going to IRAQ! and every other country either helping them or killing them!!! WE CAN'T even fix our own infrastructure because WE HAVE NO MONEY! UNDERSTAND REPUBLICANS???? Do you ignorant McCain backers even understand where our money comes from? McCain can't even get his words straight. He may be a military hero but he is NOT going to be able to FIX our COUNTRY when he is going to put us more and more in debt. HE IS ANOTHER BUSH! Man, and BUSH is a total Moran! I can't believe people like you Republicans are so blinded! What ignorance!!!! Only OBAMA can start to fix our country even without Washington experience. Why would he need experience in corruption… when he needs the experience in ethics, business, diplomacy and good judgment. Did you notice the EDUCATED… voted for OBAMA and the UNEDUCATED voted for HILLARY and the RICH and Ruthless vote for McCain?

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Jeno

I'm glad to hear this, because it is time to end this nightmare and move forward.

IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE!!! SO WHY NOT NOW?

OBAMA – All the way!!!!

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  14. Truth Over Lies

Hey, the bottom line is Obama is the front-runner. What is the problem with people. I truly believe if he were white, there would not be supporters of Clinton saying we will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee. First of all, Hillary and Obama's take on the war, economy, and healthcare are pretty much the same. So you will vote for some other candidate, with entirely different stances on issues b/c your candidate is not the nominee. LOL. I am convinced there is an underlying issue here. Could it be Obama's pigmentation? I have never heard of adults acting this way in a election. Especially, when Obama has more senate experience then Hillary does. All of you bitter people needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourselves what is more important, someone's complexion or what they represent, stand by and stand for? Seems like most Hillary supporters have chosen complexion.

Democrats Unite
    Obama 08
    This is Truth Over Lies and I approve this Message!

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Michael, Toronto

HRC has put in her best but still can't win this thing.
    She need to recognise this and get out of the race.
    June 4th will be a very interesting day in the newsroom, I will like to see what she's going to talk about after June 3rd.

Obama 08.

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. Tom

YES YES YES, End this crap from Clinton. I just hope in 2016 the DNC doesn't allow Clinton anywhere near the nomination. This is what happens when you let somebody like Hillary even thin about running!

Obama ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Samilton

It looks like we are trying to spare Hiliary's feelings or should I say her ego. As a Leader she should demonstrate WISDOM. Wisdom speaks to what is right for all concerned – not just Hillary, but for the entire Demoncratic party. I would like to think every demoncratic candidate would be given the same consideration or should I say grace period. Probably NOT! I've never seen anything like this. Yes, we have the voter turn out, but what are we showing the voters?

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. A democrat

Yes, ease her out, to Obama's credit. Key word here is 'out'.

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  19. BREAKING NEWS:

@ Ralph 2:12

Hillary is a loser and you are too if you choose to vote outside your party nomination.

plus this is exactly what was told to the Obama campaign this time last year and he has exceeded all records.

So, watch as November approaches.

June 2, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. RJ-Ga

The hope for our nation rests on our ability to change, we must have the courage to embrace change and hold our leaders accountable ! Let's get beside and behind Senator Obama the same way we would have done for Senator Clinton !

June 2, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. Michael

Can't wait for Wednesday! I'll be glad when these last two primaries are over and we can begin focusing on November and I can begin contributing to Obama's campaign again. I want to make sure that the Clinton campaign is unable to steal this before I contribute any more money. Once I know for sure the Democratic party is going to back the will of the people I'll go back to financially supporting our next President.

OBAMA '08/'12

June 2, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Mike

I will make sure to vote against any politician that endorses Obama. Obama is not the right person for the democratic party.

June 2, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  23. Dave

Oh, but wait! HilLIARy can still buy their votes back from Obama! She has enough money to sway anybodys position!

She will still figure out a reason to keep "Fighting".... because she is a FIGHTER after all!

She will still try and sway MI/FL to give her ALL of the votes from those states..... even though it has already been settled!

She will find a way to take down the whole party and keep the Republicans in office another 8 years!

What a selfish, self centered pig she has become!

June 2, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Jennifer

I am amazed that HRC can still try to claim victory in the popular vote after the PR primary. It makes no sense to me why PR is allowed to vote in the primary but not in the general election. Regardless, their votes in the primary will not get her elected in the general election. I am so tired of her picking and choosing which states matter and which ones don't, thinking she still has a claim to the nomination. Why are the superdelegates allowing this nonsense to go on?

June 2, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. sophia nyc

Well he's the winner isn't he?

June 2, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |