June 2nd, 2008

South Carolina’s Sanford dodges vice presidential talk

Sanford isn't hinting he wants to be VP.
Sanford isn't hinting he wants to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford continues to see his name floated in the GOP veepstakes - but he’s still not dropping any hints that he wants the job.

On CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer” yesterday, Blitzer asked Sanford: “You want to be the running mate?”

“No, I'm just trying to survive the week,” Sanford responded. “I made it to Sunday. I got another week ahead of me.”

“What's wrong with being vice president of the United States?,” Blitzer asked.

“There's nothing wrong with being president, there's nothing wrong with being president, there's nothing wrong with being vice president,” Sanford said. “But it's not on my radar screen. I'll worry about that lightning strike if it comes my way.”

Sanford told the Washington Post last year that if the GOP nominee inquired about putting him on the presidential ticket that he would at least entertain the idea. "Of course I'd take the call,” he said at the time.

The fiscal hawk is popular vice presidential option among conservatives, but some McCain insiders say Sanford may have damaged his chances by not endorsing the Arizona senator before the South Carolina primary in January. Sanford, as a congressman, had endorsed McCain during his 2000 bid.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of McCain’s closest advisers, appeared to pour cold water on Sanford’s chances in March, noting that Sanford has had a “tough” tenure as governor.

"To be honest with you, I don't see any of us in South Carolina bringing a whole lot of value to the ticket,” Graham told The State newspaper. “We're talking about winning a national race that's going to be very competitive."

Filed under: Mark Sanford • South Carolina
  1. demwit

Meanwhile...

Kennedy's surgeons announce that they have "accomplished their goals". I wonder if that's from a conservative or liberal view point..

June 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

I've said it before.
    After Bush, an Ape would do better.
    That is why I am voting for Obama.
    Republicans beware.

June 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. Come Nov

Darth,
    You are right- after Bush, an Ape might do better.

But why not vote for a real Human Being- who is qualified, experienced, tough and able to lead?

Why not vote for Hillary Clinton- just write her name in.

June 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Susan

You Republicans are blind.

The Country is in such a bad way, that Obama can sleep-walk his way into the presidency.

June 2, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. right to left

Susan you are right.

Obama probably could sleep walk his way to the presidency by default- playing on the anger and bitterness of Americans after the 8 long Bush years.

But why settle for a sleepwalker?

Why not vote your conscience instead and simply vote for the best candidate out there- HRC.

Join the write in Hillary Clinton campaign.

June 2, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Francesca

Yes we Can:

As a Hillary supporter, I really wish Hillary would run with McCain as his VP. Having said that, the entire Hispanic community will vote for McCain/Hillary! and your guy will lose!

June 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. renee

I am a 41year old black women living in north carolina and I was going to vote surport hillary in the beginning until I seen Barack Obama that's when heard barack one of his speeches. I change my mine because i just know that he would be the nominee of my party first of all it was where he stood on the issues and then second it was that he was africa america this has been along road for both parties hillary and barack my point is that I was perpared to vote hillary if she was the nominee but the way some of surporters show out at the DNC conference the other day it showed me that either they didn't wont a black man to be the nominee just that bad, or they are just that uneducated where they could not know that it was not all that serious where they were crying and about to go into cardiac arrest is just not worth my health or anything else for that fact but it made me feel so kind of good to walk into my polling place to cast my vote for africa america a opportunity that this country has never had in this america history I'm ready to turn the page and be part of writeing the next chapter in america history ...

June 2, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

(originally submitted at 1:51pm)
    Has it ever occurred to you people who say "Obama will lose" that IF he loses, it won't be because he's a "weaker" candidate but because you have voted AGAINST your interests (since Obama and Clinton have similar policies) and for a man that is total opposite, out of mere spite?

So when the country's going to hell with McCain at the wheel, blame yourself for voting for him.

June 2, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Voter

I am so incredibly impressed that Hillary Clinton, true to her word as usual, is going to the very end with this thing. Just imagine how hard she'd fight for YOU as president. She's no quitter. Win or lose, she's not backing down. Winning candidates always pay off each other's debts, so that's irrelevant. But no more Clintons, that IS relevant.

The bad old days of 22 million new jobs, a balanced budget, no deficit, a strong dollar, help to pay college tuition, lower interest rates on credit and mortgage and student loans, welfare under control at long last and the Earned Income Tax Credit – the best thing that ever happened to working poor. What's to miss on that list?

June 2, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Join us now

Many moderate, centrist liberal democrats will prefer a McCain presidency to the totalitarian regime of the leftist Obama. But we would rather if you all joined us in writing in Hillary Clinton, instead.

Already the DEMS have been hammered into silence just for trying to vett and question Obama. Already the mighty Obama propaganda machine has succeeded in trampling right over logic, reason, experience and qualifications- just look at the attacks on Hillary Clinton- the cleary better and more qualified democratic candidate.

Don't let the Obama bandwagon roll over America like the dictators of Germany and Italy swept over their nations fueled by the support of an adoring and worshipping youth. Obama has inspired a vast but ignorant youth following and propelled himself into a God-like status in their eyes. Propaganda is creating the illusion that perception is truth.

Will the Republicans and Hillary DEMS lose to this demagogue or can we UNITE, as concerned Americans against this threat?

June 2, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. REALIST NJ

Oh you poor Democrats,you cant even run your party more less run our country. You Obama poster boy is already exposed.

HE BRINGS NOTHING BUT ANTI AMERICAN FRIENDS AND EMPTY RHETORIC

GO John MCcain !!!!!

June 2, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. taylor

Who cares...who's this guy anyway.

June 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  13. Pat

Obama's delegates are actually 8% more than Clintons
    He has continuously led be 150 to 250 delegates in the last 3 months. He will win the nomination.

June 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |