June 2nd, 2008

South Carolina’s Sanford dodges vice presidential talk

Sanford isn't hinting he wants to be VP.
Sanford isn't hinting he wants to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford continues to see his name floated in the GOP veepstakes - but he’s still not dropping any hints that he wants the job.

On CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer” yesterday, Blitzer asked Sanford: “You want to be the running mate?”

“No, I'm just trying to survive the week,” Sanford responded. “I made it to Sunday. I got another week ahead of me.”

“What's wrong with being vice president of the United States?,” Blitzer asked.

“There's nothing wrong with being president, there's nothing wrong with being president, there's nothing wrong with being vice president,” Sanford said. “But it's not on my radar screen. I'll worry about that lightning strike if it comes my way.”

Sanford told the Washington Post last year that if the GOP nominee inquired about putting him on the presidential ticket that he would at least entertain the idea. "Of course I'd take the call,” he said at the time.

The fiscal hawk is popular vice presidential option among conservatives, but some McCain insiders say Sanford may have damaged his chances by not endorsing the Arizona senator before the South Carolina primary in January. Sanford, as a congressman, had endorsed McCain during his 2000 bid.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of McCain’s closest advisers, appeared to pour cold water on Sanford’s chances in March, noting that Sanford has had a “tough” tenure as governor.

"To be honest with you, I don't see any of us in South Carolina bringing a whole lot of value to the ticket,” Graham told The State newspaper. “We're talking about winning a national race that's going to be very competitive."

Filed under: Mark Sanford • South Carolina
  1. FreedomFromFear-Florida

I suspect that this is just smoke screening. I think that they plan to bring in JEB BUSH... THE MASTER PLAN like the CLINTONS'.

June 2, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Clinton Supporter

Whoever, John. You've got my vote. Those Dems clearly need to be hit over the head with an oil soaked log. All they understand is the vote, so don't give them the vote, simple as that.

I'll learn to love you. I'm already working on it.

June 2, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. proud army and navy mom

he's a typical republicans, flip-flopping, evasive liar

June 2, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

this Blitzer, guy is he so out there...............

he should be campaigning for billary................

by the way, mcbush will get clinton's supporters, so blizter, why not ask h er to be mcbush's vp..........the supporters are there,, why not here..

June 2, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. CW4Barak

None of you bring any value to any ticket...not even McBush. There will be no country for old men! McBush, get ready for your defeat!

Obama '08!

June 2, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I normally don't vot Republican, but I voted for John Sanford for Governor of SC.

June 2, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. Creative Woody

At this point, I doubt any GOP wants to be saddled with the 2nd place spot on a losing ticket.

June 2, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  8. Major Michael in Lorton, Virginia

So if you don't a candidate early, then you reduce your chance of being considered as a vice president nominee? And these individuals are the ones who run and lead this nation? Maybe I'm old fashion but whos is crazier; the candidate who doesn't consider the nominee because he did not endorse him early enough; or the individual who accepts vice president nominee of offer? Sound like a series on Sesame Stree......one of these things belong to another, one of these things are not the same........we all need to start looking for another country to live in.

June 2, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Delton

There's always 2012.

June 2, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. After further review,Texas.

They will sneak in Jeb Bush?God help us.

June 2, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Conservatives win again :)

We cetainly don't need Mr. Grahm and his "secret life" in the whitehouse. We need someone with hard core Christian Values like Gov Huckabee.

June 2, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. Uncle Sam

Democrats, Independents, & Republicans for McCain!

June 2, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Stevo PA

Sounds like a smart man to me. I wouldn't want to run on George's coat tail either!!!

June 2, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. United America

Couldn't Agree with army and navy mom more.

June 2, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  15. Bart in SC

Boy, it is a sad day when I have to agree with Sen. Lindsay Graham but he is right – I don't see any of us in SC bringing a whole lot of value to McCain's ticket. I hope he picks Sanford for his VP because I would love for him to be out of SC for a long while.

June 2, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. Step

We are going to need a stable, reliable, honest nominee with knowlege and wisdom to run against the republicans (Obama). And
    We are also going to need a fighter who will fight dirty and won't care if she's talked about or picked on. (Because Mccain is not going to run a clean campaign). If Hillary is willing to unite the democratic party and use her fighting spirit against the republicans then an Obama-Clinton ticket is awesome. It's like playing nice and dirty as the same time. With these two different personalities the republicans don't stand a chance in the General elections. The republicans won't know how to handle Obama and Hillary. As far as the democratic party with these two.. It's a winning ticket all the way if the democratic party unite.

June 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Pete

Isn't it amazing how Clinton supporters suddenly turn to a Rebublican as their choice for president.? There like children in a playground that when they do not get their way they throw a tantrum.

No backbone!

June 2, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. martin

republicans need not bother choosing a vp.they will have no need for one.

June 2, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Yes we can!

it doesn't matter who mccain pick
    Obama 2008/2012 and that's without Hillary on the ticket.....

June 2, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  20. Rick in Florida

IF HE'S SMART HE'LL SAY "NO", IF HE'S ASKED TO BE THE VP.

WHO WANTS TO BE THE ONE'S ARRANGING THE DECK CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC??

Independent, Vietnam Vet, for Obama.

June 2, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. McCain 08

Hillary support for McCain. At least this one is!!

June 2, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

If you consider Bush's popularity and McCain's near identical rhetoric on the most important issues, I would be scared to the VP nominee on the ticket. If you lose, any hope of a future presidential campaign of your own is probably shot to pieces.

June 2, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. ACTION

NO ONE POINTS OUT THAT OBAMA'S DELEGATES IS ALSO LESS THAN 1% MORE THAN CLINTON'S!!!!!!

WHY NO ONE MENTION THAT, BUT JUST TO SAY ANYTHING AGAINST CLINTON.

June 2, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. Sam of Carolina

Sanford is non-factor in South Carolina. His main goal was to bring School-Choice to SC, but the people of SC voted in a Democrat as Superintendent to stop him from doing it. Thats right, the only Democrat elected to a South Carolina state office in 2006 was Jim Rex, and only because he was against Sanfords inane silly idea.
    If SC would actually wake up and listen, they would see as a state we are closer to the Democrats than Republicans. However, most don't vote because they think the Southern Baptist own the state. However, they don't, and it is a shame we let them pretend they do.

June 2, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. Anarchy1

Please pick this clown McCain...he's already run our state into the ground...I can only imagine what he'd help you do to our country.

June 2, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |