June 3rd, 2008

A flood of superdelegates for Obama

Obama and his wife Michelle wave to supporters at a primary night rally in St. Paul, MN.

(CNN) – Moments after the polls closed, Barack Obama’s campaign announced the support of 26.5 superdelegates - 10 from earlier in the day, and 16.5 new - releasing statements of support from:

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Democratic Party Chair Don Bivens of Arizona; DNC Member (and daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi) Christine Pelosi, DNC Member Rachel Binah, DNC Member John Perez, Rep. Sam Farr, Rep. Bob Filner, and Rep. Jerry McNerney of California; Governor Bill Ritter of Colorado; DNC Member Mitchell Ceasar and Rep. Ron Klein of Florida; Georgia State Labor Commissioner Michael Thurmond; President of the National Federation of Democratic Women Helen Knetzer, a Kansas superdelegate; DNC Member Patsy Arceneaux of Louisiana; DNC Member Sam Spencer of Maine; Rep. John Sarbanes of Maryland; Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan; Missouri Democratic Party Vice Chairwoman Yolanda Wheat; Nevada Democratic Party Chair Sam Lieberman and Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto; Rep. Rush Holt of New Jersey; DNC Member Muriel Offerman and DNC Member David Parker of North Carolina; DNC Member Jay Parmley of Oklahoma; Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury and Oregon Democratic Party Vice Chairman Frank Dixon; DNC Member Ian Murray of Pennsylvania; and Executive Director of the Virginia AFL-CIO Jim Leaman.

The votes of superdelegates from Michigan and Florida have been reduced by half because of penalties imposed by the national party.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Fired up

And ready to go!

June 3, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  2. penny

if he takes clinton for vp..........i vote for mcCain

June 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. Steve From Oregon

To my fellow posters...I know CNN won't post this, but I wanted to warn you anyway. Don't ever dis Lou Dobbs! I've been censored for weeks for calling Dobbs out for his biased support for Mrs. Clinton. I would threaten to switch to Fox news, but heck, my parents were married. Good luck!

June 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  4. Turnabout is Fair Play

And the flood of Superdelegates begins!! The dam has broken wide open and a tidal wave of SDs have began!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hillary, you don't have to concede but the it's clear that you will NOT be the nominee and you will NEVER be in the White House again until 8 years from now!!! Barack Obama has WON and John McWalkingcane is going DOWN in geriatric defeat in November!!!

Obama/Sebelius '08!!!

June 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  5. New Day

a bit of overkill right now but, ok. yay?

Maybe they can give Hillary back the 4 delegates from MI?

June 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. Madison

Good for them. Now let Obama pick his own running mate. If Clinton really loves this country she will respect his decision or running mate and county her lifes work (which has been great). This was a very intense campaign and the people's choice has to be honored.

Get on board!!

June 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. I used to be a Democrat

I don't care who's voting for him. Chaney's Cousin will never get my vote.

June 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. Helen, NY

These are all fools voting for a dishonest, inexperienced candidate. We do not need big show with big speeches. There is no substance. This is the end of the Democratic party. God bless America. My vote goes to John McCain.

June 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. jl

AWESOME!

Congrats to Senator Obama and to all of my fellow volunteers.

Please keep Senator Obama in your prayers.

We have only just begun!!!!

Let's unite for change.

Signed-

Noah
    ( an Obamacan)

June 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. jose

DEMOCRATSFOR MCCAIN '08!!!

June 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  11. Black Republican - New York, New York

Hillary Clinton is a strategist who failed at the biggest game of her life. When she chose not to make any decision on Tuesday night, she sent a message that she still wants to be be in the news.

Will the news keep her news worthy or will the news turn attention to the Obama-McCain race?

Won't surprise me if Hill and Bill try to rain on Obama's parade and steal his thunder and agenda.

June 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. jose

Trust me there are plenty of us!!

June 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Betilu

And I think he should complement HRC. She did it all on her own. All of the media helped bho, which I find disgusting. I don't know how I'll do it, but I will fight for unbiased media. I find HRC's speech so much more illuminating. She did not scream. And now he is saying he loves this country. I still wonder about all of our security measures with him and his radical friends

June 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. vicsmurf/ NC

Obama is our American peace Gladiator who has secured the historical nomination....
    i love it .
    Go Obama!!!!!
    GO Obama!!!!! Sparta aaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!
    History!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  15. YES WE CAN

FIRST !!!!!!

ITS A NEW DAY IN AMERICA

June 3, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  16. Doug Jones

Hillary Clinton Third Party

June 3, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  17. Todd from Michigan

Okay. But, Obama really needs Hillary Clinton's endorsement more.

New democracy, change, and logic would be enhanced by a Unity ticket for the Office of the Presidency. Two great candidates against McCain would be the best choice for America. Hopefully, the dems can unite or we will be looking at four more years of you know what.

Congratulations Hillary and Barack.

June 3, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. Jay

blah..he is still gonna loose.

June 3, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. TXBad1

they can Support Obama, But the Populous did not I wonder if they can vote him in office! in November! While Hillary Supporters Vote her in as an Independent or Vote McCain in , stay tuned for November 2008! when Obama cry's!

June 3, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  20. Gary

26.5? I wonder who the .5 superdelegate was?

June 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  21. susie

Why do the democrats even vote, when the superdelegates are the one who picks the nominee?

June 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  22. FIRED UP READY TO GO!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!

This is history. America has made a statement tonight!
    Let the healing begin.

June 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. Florida not for Barack Obama - Ever

Do I need to say more than what my heading says – Hillary or 18 million will vote for McCain.

June 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  24. Crush Rush

Yes and its time to pay back Limbaugh and his pinheads.

June 3, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  25. A New Republican

HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE A LEADER. HE IS NOT A LEADER!! LOOKOUT AMERICA, WE ARE DOOMED!!!

SAVE AMERICA, VOTE McCAIN '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO hOBOB