June 3rd, 2008

After six months, can Democratic race be over?

Sen. Hillary Clinton trails Obama by 159 delegates and is 201 delegates shy of capturing the nomination.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - After six months and 61 contests, the Democratic primary season finally draws to a close Tuesday, but the big question is whether this historic and at times bitter battle for the party's presidential nomination will also come to a close.

Montana and South Dakota hold primaries Tuesday, but there's much more at stake than just the 31 pledged delegates in those two contests.

Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake in Montana and South Dakota to put Obama over the top, but a rush of endorsements by the remaining undeclared "superdelegates" could allow him to claim victory when he takes the stage in Minnesota Tuesday evening.

Full story

1. conservatives win again :)

I truely hope evey Hillary supporter doesn't just give in this easy. He stole the election from her because she is a woman. You must write her in when you vote for president!!!!!

June 3, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. MMN - Milwaukee WI

Watch for a public blackmail on Obama today when Hillary speaks tonight in NY.

June 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  3. Joe

Have fun with Obama, you Obamabots.

Because, as a Hillary suporter, I will be voting for McCain. Obama is a charade....all talk and no substance.

How can he unite the country if he can't even unite his own party?!

Obama is a disaster for the DNC and will lose in November.

McCain08' HIllary12"

June 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Tim

In the true American spirit of perseverance, I honestly hope Hillary continues to fight for her right to run her campaign all the way up to the end of the convention. I don't support her candidacy, but I greatly respect her diligence and message. I'd rather see her running against McCain solely for the debates and discussions that would ensue. Obama is just too naive and oversimplifies the issues. The Republicans are going to devour him prior to November.

June 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. OH

Give Hillary some level of gratitude; she worked her heart out, she did not expect to be upended and planned badly. She thought she had the nomination wraped up even before it began.

She spent lavishly or aircrafts, hotels, food and high power staff and they steared her badly.

Her job is unfinished because she needs to get the hard working- hard working white people to vote for DEM in the election.

She cut herself badly with her negative statements but now she must go back to the same people and convince them to vote for Obama.

It would have been nice if she kept the arguments base on experience and what her direction would be instead of saying only her and McCain was qualified to be President.

How does she expect to put humpty back together again?

June 3, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. joanna

I used to defend the democratic party among my republican friends when they insisted that the democratic party was ran by idiots. After watching the DNC performance last Friday, I agreed with my friends. Senator Clinton is too good to belong to this party; She should start a third one. Here is my prediction if senator Clinton does not accept to be the VP, and I hope that she does not accept: Women, Hispanics, and blue color workers will not vote for senator Obama, period. Senator Mc Cain will be the next president of the US. The fact that senator Clinton’s supporters will not vote for senator Obama, is not for lack of intelligence as one of your bias “ Analysts” mentioned; it is a matter of justice and principal. This is probably something difficult for him and many of you at CNN to understand with the exception of a few true professional journalists like Larry King, Lou Dobbs and Candy. Bill Clinton is right with the comments he made.

June 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. Marjon

Goodbyeeeeeeeeeeee Hillary!! At last!! We will not miss you..and we do not want you as VeePee!!!!!!

Looks like she could not pursuade enough superdelegates to run over to her!

GO O.O..O..O..O..OBAMA '08

YES HE WILL!! YES HE DID!!! VICTORYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

June 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. JTC

I just read the breaking news, thank you HIllary for a great campaign! I'm a stronger supporter of yours, in my book you are the winner and you will always be, I respect you for what you stand for! And as Hillary Clinton supporter and as a Democrat on Nov I'm going to vote for Obama, I know that Hillary is going to fight to the end for Democrats to win the White House!!

Hillary/Obama 2008

June 3, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Guy

USA Voter shut up ! you are a racist and he wasn't even on the michigan ballot!
    Obama 08

June 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. rose angela

the media has counted her out since super tuesday. they were wrong then and they are still wrong. she has support over a wide constiutency including

June 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. MD Democrat

For the sake of this country, we better hope not. Hillary is the only one who can turn things around. People need to wake up and that fact that black people have been blinded by the color of Obama's skin is sad. Oh yeah I am black and I voted for Hillary as did many others. The majority of african americans are turning a blind eye to the work that the Clinton's have done for us during Bill's presidency. They even went so far as to say that he was the first black president. Remember that? Short memory foks, short memory.

June 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  12. Bill

Hillary has won the popular vote,even though her main core was disenfranchised. That's quite an accomplishment! Now lets see if the Super-delegates agree that Obama is loosing white support due to the Rev.'s ....................everything since Tx has sent a strong message to them......Are they listening to the people? Or are they listening to someone else?

June 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. DemocracyNow2008

As an Obama Democrat I cannot support Hillary Clinton as a V.P. at all on your ticket.

To the Obama Campaign please look at other Democrats for the V.P Slot.

If we pick a Women I am all for that just not Hillary.

Go. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas would be a great choice for VP.

I sure their are other Democratic Women in our Party that good be VP.

Just not Hillary Clinton.

My other choices would be Bill Richardson of New Mexico

Senator Barbara Boxer of California who voted against the Iraq war in 2002 when Clinton enabled Bush at the time.

We can win without Clinton as the VP .

The media keeps pushing this and the Democrats for Obama do not want this at all .

I do not trust the Clintons .If we are the campaign of Change and Hope then it has to be with the Clintons in the Whitehouse.

June 3, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  14. Justme WV

Tonight will make American history...Our Democratic Nominee for President of the United States of America, Sen Barack Obama and he happens to be Black. God Bless America!

I realize that this man is also half White, but sadly in this country a person is called by his complexion.

June 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. Mary

If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, LLLL will freeze over before I would vote for that Socialist sleaze OBAMA.
    All my family and friends feel the same way.. The Democrates just lost the election. I have no respect for the party.

June 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. Jim

AP: Officials say Hillary Clinton will acknowledge tonight that Barack Obama has the delegates for the Democratic presidential nomination

June 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. katiec

It has been a hard fought race. Now it is tiime for the Democratic Party to unite and support all Democrats running for office.
    To vote any republican into office is saying you support what
    they hav e done to our country.
    How can ANYONE so that??

June 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  18. dj

I agree I hope that Obammmaa does not ever dare to ask Hillary to be his VP. She is far to good for VP. The long a sad truth of Obammaa being the Nominee for President.. He CANNOT win against McCain.. I can name forty people that if he is the nomniee they are etiher not going to vote or they will vote for McCain.. And, I agree.. And we are not the only ones that feel like this. I'm not real sure exactly what real change Obammaa thinks he can do..I'm also not real sure why Americans trust anything he says.. Those people will be sorry. Very sorry..

June 3, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. David, Silver Spring, MD

I just wished I lived in a country where people would honestly try to do the right thing; that they would take these elections seriously instead of trying to smear one candidate or the other.

I hope with President Obama we'll begin to move in that direction, and will put logical argument ahead of cheap plays to the emotion and disingenuous outrage.

Obama was winning it fair and square in an honest, straightforward race. Until it became apparent that he really might win the whole thing. Once March rolled around, this thing turned ugly in a hurry. Remember Hillary, "Shame on you, Barack Obama!" Yeah, right.

June 3, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. DemocracyNow2008

To the Obama Campaign please look at other Democrats for the V.P Slot.

If we pick a Women I am all for that just not Hillary.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas would be a great choice for VP.

I sure their are other Democratic Women in our Party that would be good as VP.

Just not Hillary Clinton.

My other choices would be Bill Richardson of New Mexico

Senator Barbara Boxer of California who voted against the Iraq war in 2002 when Clinton enabled Bush at the time another great choice.

We can win without Clinton as the VP .

June 3, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |