June 3rd, 2008

Bill Clinton lashes out at Vanity Fair reporter

Bill Clinton is not happy with the way a new magazine article portrays him.

Bill Clinton is not happy with the way a new magazine article portrays him.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton's campaign Monday apologized for "inappropriate" language used by her husband in response to a Vanity Fair article that quoted anonymous sources questioning the former president's behavior since leaving the White House. (Listen to Clinton's comments Monday.)

The article, by the magazine's national editor Todd Purdum, suggested that Bill Clinton's personality had changed since his 2004 heart bypass surgery and said that there were reports of Clinton "seeing a lot of women on the road."

Purdum quoted four former Clinton aides saying that another of his former assistants had conducted "what one of these aides called an intervention" about the reports of philandering.

A writer for the Huffington Post, Mayhill Fowler, asked Clinton on Monday what he thought "about that hatchet job somebody did on you in Vanity Fair," according to a recording of the exchange posted on the Huffington Post's Web site.

"(He's) sleazy," Clinton responded. "He's a really dishonest reporter." (Earlier: Journalist defends article slamming Bill Clinton)

Full story

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Shirley-Ohio

Motions are running high because they lost the primary election and to put the salt on an open wound, by an African-American. Because the democratic party did not put a end to this sooner, the democratic party is now divided and it is going to be hard to get either Hillary or Barack elected, although, I believe, after Hilliary is out of the race Obama will be able to hold his own and win Americans over. He does not need Hillary as his vice president because there is too much baggage with the Clinton's which is why McCain wanted so desparately to run against Hillary and not Barak. The repulicans have nothing else on Obama whic is why McCain is pushing his experience in the middle east, which is all he have left to defeat Obama. Obama has his work cut out for him but with the help of American's looking for change, he will prevail.

June 3, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Jesse - San Antonio TX

An obvious attack by a pro-Obama supporter.

Hope he the reporter is investigated.

June 3, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Denny Sangiovanni

"very careful to say there is no clear cut evidence that President Clinton has done anything improper."

That 's what the scumbag said after he trow on Clinton all the garbage he had. He call himself editor....

June 3, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Tim

I think that Newspapers and Magazine editors should insist that if you are going to make charges against a person, that unless those who make the allegations are willing to be named, the story should not be printed. Unnamed sources just doesn't cut it.

But now that it is out, unfortunately it will take on a life of its own and Bill Clinton will have to address. Having said that, I am a little taken back by Bill Clinton's response, he had not read the article but that he was told that "there's five or six just blatant lies in there". That makes him have to speak on those items, which could be a problem.

June 3, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. CT voter

I think Bill Clinton had every right to say what he said and I would support him but seeing what he said after about Obama really hurts me and I'm sure other Obama supporters...I think he's somewhat deliusional to say some of the things he said about Mr. Obama, and it's sad because he was a very smart president but now I've lost respect for him because of the claims he made about Obama having other's do his dirty work. I fully support his lash out against this so called journalism, but to then try to pin it on Obama disgusts me.

I had GREAT respect for the Clintons but it's almost fully deminished.

June 3, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Bill PA

Bill Clinton is correct...........Todd Purdum is garbage.

Todd is is scum of the earth.................Tood knows that his wife likes Bill Clinton and Bill does not like her most likely.

Todd is jealous.

June 3, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  7. Army Wife

----hey bill,

i've lost the respect for you looong time ago,

when you had a chance to go after Bin Laden what were you doing instead?

Chasing The Girls (monica,and many others) In Our W.H!!

and let's NOT forget about your stupid wife....
    she didn't even bother to read the papers.....and just authorized the iraq war.

Shame On CLINTONS.

June 3, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  8. Ahmet Bereket

bill clinton has every right to use those words for the reporter in question. Reporters have to be subject to at least public name calling unless they can substantiate their claims.
    if this is part of the freedom of press, same freedom at least to respond has to be extended to people who r subjected to the claims.

June 3, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  9. Emma

Perhaps you "protest too hard." Your previous history will not allow the public to give you the benefit of the doubt.

This is one reason you and your wife should pack up and go home. Visually seeing you in the White House again makes my skin crawl.

June 3, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  10. Suzanne

I don't know if there is any truth in this article or not but it is a reminder of the baggage that the Clinton's bring to the table. The Republicans would have a field day with all of this if Hillary were on the ticket. Another really good reason to choose someone else for VP. If she doesn't want t ocontinue her career in hte Senate Hillary would make a good secretary of Health and Human Services....We should use her considerable skills and put her to work on solving the health care crisis.

June 3, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. Blogmaster 3000

Well.....fool me once, shame on you.......fool me twice, shame on me......we have been down this road before Billy C......"I have never had sexual relations with that woman"....uhh......remeber that.....stain on the dress.....fellatio.....ok Bill, once a philanderer, always a cheatin dog.......at least admit it this time, so we dont have to catch you in a lie AGAIN....how bad would that make the Clintons look......about as bad as they really are.....

June 3, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. JoAnne (Arkansas)

Old habits die hard, don't they Bill? Thats why Hillary cant be on the ticket, he's too much baggage.

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  13. MD

Sleezy? Scumbag? Dishonest?

Remember Monica, Bill?

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. king from toronto

he also lashed out at obama!! whers's that article cnn??? know u probaly won't post this."

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. JB

A dishonest guy??? Hmmm...... "I did NOT have sexual relations, with that woman."

OK, Bill.

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. SOPHIA,23, FLORIDA VOTER

This is typical of Bill Clinton-no surprises.

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. J

Do we want ppl like him on the whitehouse? never!! Please do not offer Hillary the VP spot!

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Veronica

I am always suspicious of writers that quote "anonymous" sources. I do not care if it is a Republican or Democrat, this is not fair journalism. In this country, it is so easy to destroy a person's character because you cannot respond to people that are saying things about you if you do not know who they are. Of course, people that hate President Clinton are loving this. Since I am a Christian, I believe in forgiveness, but there are others that for some reason, want to destroy Hillary and Bill. I do not understand the hatred and am glad I do not share these feelings. During the Democratic primaries, I have learned a lot of things about Democrats that I do not like and will become an Independent. I am no longer a "loyal" Democrat that will vote for the party and not the individual.

June 3, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Also, this is another one of Obama's strategies about not getting his hands dirty but getting others to do the work for him.

It's the typical Washington way.

Change? Yeah right!

June 3, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Yes we can!

Obama/Nagel 2008/2012.....Obama does not need Hillary to win the presidency.....there are plenty of hard working white men/women who can get the VP slot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....it's clear to me the states that overwhemingly voted for her has knowingly racist problem....it's sad but true....you cant win wyoming, wisconsin, iowa with a great percentage and say he doesn't appeal to white people...that's ridiculous....it's the few that made up in their minds back in 1957 they would never vote a black person....some of those feelings have trickled down the next generation, because that's how they were raised....how can hillary and obama share the same viewpoints and her supporters vote mccain...that's just DUMB!

June 3, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Bill PA

Vanity Fair magazine is like the weekyl supermarket tabloids, trash
    and garbage. Get a life Tood.

I'm glad Bill said you are a scum bucket.

June 3, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. BBB

WOW.... I have to wonder if he isn't secretly on Obama's payroll. He certainly hasn't helped Hillary's campaign at all!

June 3, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. Valerie

"He's just a dishonest guy — can't help it."

Sorry– but it takes one to know one.
    That's one of the reasons I backed Obama instead of Hillary Clinton... I don't need her husband back in the White House.

June 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  24. Carmen, Little Rock AR

Why in the world does everything have to come back to Obama? Does Clinton seriously think Obama could convince Todd Purdum to do him any favors?

June 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  25. gary

WJC WAS ONE OF THE BEST PRESIDENTS WE HAD IN HISTORY. THE O.B. SUPPORTERS AND CLINTON HATERS ARE ONLY MAKING IT WORST FOR THEIR CANIDATE. HRC WOULD MAKE A GREAT PRESIDENT ,BUT THIS COUNTRY JUST LIKES TO GO DEEPER IN CRAP.THEY RATHER BE BIAS AGAINST A WOMAN FOR OUR LEADER AND VOTE FOR A UNKOWN,UNQUALIFIED AFRICAN AMERICAN BECAUSE HE IS A MAN.WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

June 3, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |