June 3rd, 2008

Clinton backer Feinstein says it's time to end

Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.
Feinstein is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Major Hillary Clinton supporter Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday the final primaries mark a “moment of truth” for the New York senator, who should end her campaign.

The California senator also repeated her view that Clinton should be tapped for the vice presidency.

“I think after the campaigns are wrapped up today, it is in fact a moment of truth,” Feinstein told CNN. “I think a decision has to be made about whether keeping this nomination wide open is in the best interest of winning in November. I do not believe that it is, and I’m a very strong supporter of Hillary being placed on ticket as a vice presidential candidate.”

Feinstein, who endorsed Clinton last summer, has resisted calls for her to use her influence to convince the White House hopeful to abandon her presidential bid, although she said last month that the protracted primary contest was making for dangerous friction within the party.

“The reason I say this is because each one of them represents a different constituency. The constituencies are knocking heads at the present time,” said Feinstein.

“There are women all over the country and particularly in my state of California who think she has not been treated fairly. They want her to stand tall. One of the reasons she stayed in the race was to stand tall. She’s done that. The two of them together, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, cover the constituencies of America and I think represent a working team that is unprecedented in the United States.”

“I think the time has come to end the primary, to put the ticket together, to bring people together and to march forward together into the convention.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. DEMOCRATS UNITE

DEMOCRATS IN THE WHITE HOUSE,NO MORE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!! VOTE DEMOCRATIC THIS FALL ELECTION IF YOU WANT YOUR GOVERNMENT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. mike

Yes finally the truth is here now. but better for her to continue for next camp. from now. #2? no! who wants her for this even?

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Halloran in Hoboken

I feel that everyone is forgetting that WE, the public do not elect a nominee. I feel that everyone is forgetting that the DNC at the DNC Convention, elects the nominee.

This primary season is in essence a big poll - one done so that the delegates (who can change their mind) can be shown who their district desires. The real campaign happens on the floor of the convention.

Oh, Hillary will take this to the Convention,,,,,afterall – I'm sure there is still a little Goldwater in her.

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. JB

Please Post!

This society as a whole, is incapable of taking responsibility for it's own actions. This can be seen with the increase in frivolous lawsuits, and the inability for anybody to say I am sorry.

Hillary Clinton would have walked away with this nomination IF:

She said I am sorry, when appropriate
    She didn't try to cheat (by changing the rules)
    She didn't lie so easily. (Bosnia, with no apology)

Instead she blamed everyone else for her troubles, furthering the epidemic of "it's not my fault" in this society. Also furthering an inaccurate stereotype that women always blame someone else for their problems.

And today, her supporters continue that trend by blaming Obama/Obama supporters/turncoats/judas's and anyone lese they can blame for her demise.

Grow up and grasp the truth that people are repsonisble for their failures and successes.

The sooner Hillary comes to grips with this, the sooner she will be back!

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. Dave

Why not Clinton/Obama '08

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Joshua College Station Texas

No to Hillary as Veep. Just my opinion. She represents old corrupt politics.

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. Jimmy Taban

I think, its time to unite the democratic party; I belief for obvious reasons if McCain takes over as the president of the united states of America, the Democratic party will forever be divisive. Its time to unite

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. MBB

Everyone should but out and let the process run. Go Hillary!!!

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Garth

The problem I have is the wish of Sen. Feinstein to have Clinton be the Vice President. With her scorched earth approach and her rants and raves against Obama rather than focusing in on issues, she has made her less and less appealing to everyone, except a few rabid fans. I'm sorry I was hesitant to consider her for VP before, but now I can't see her as VP except at the bottom of the short list and I'd find a few more names if it got to that.

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. AB

I think that's a very sensible way to look at it – that they appeal to two different groups of demographics and neither should be slighted. It makes sense to not only get the support of all those people, but to fairly represent them. I've been against the idea of keeping the party together – political parties are meant to represent different ideas, if you don't agree, leave. But if there's a chance to make everyone feel included they have to take it.

Its looking like Clinton is very open to the possiblity now. And of course its because she's losing so don't even start picking on her. If half the partry thought she'd make a good President, she should be a fantastic VP.

I don't think Obama is qualified but with her help I'd feel better about it. And then there's no way I'd vote for McCain. They have plenty of time to patch things up and with their platforms being so similar they should be able to work together.

Obama should ask her.

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. mercy of los angeles

We are not contributing to the DNC anymore. They are plain OBAMA puppets. We are saving our funds in case Hillary runs as Independent.
    GO HILLAR '08

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Brian in Los Angeles

I am a staunch Hillary supporter–there is really no way for her to win now. Obama is not going to be able to beat McCain without her and the ONLY way I will vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket. If she is not on the ticket I, along with many, many, others, will vote for McCain. Obama cannot ignore Clinton, she has half of the Democratic Party in her pocket.

June 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |