June 3rd, 2008
6 months ago

Obama clinches Democratic nomination

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama has clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN projects as polls in the South Dakota primary closed at 9 p.m. ET.

CNN still has not projected a winner in the South Dakota primary, but based on exit polls and raw vote estimates the Illinois senator will receive at least five pledged delegates from this primary, enough to put him over the top. CNN also estimates that rival Hillary Clinton will receive at least five delegates from the South Dakota primary.

Related: Watch CNN's projection of Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. DEMOCRAT

"We must all understand that what Obama has done is just purely remarkable and should not be taken lightly. As a man of color myself I stand in awe and want to thank every American that can see beyond the outer layer of Obama and who has judged him by what’s in his heart and not by his outer layer.

To all the Hillary Clinton Supporters I hope you all can over come you disappointment and anger before November. I will be the first with my arms open and embrace all of you. I urge all of us Obama supporters to reach out to all the Clinton people and bring them in with love and understanding. Tell the Clinton supporters we need them and we can’t do it with out them. Welcome them to a new and better America and the Obama campaign that is set to lift America to a Higher Ground!

God Bless you all!
    God Bless America!

Obama 08"

I wish I could ;have wrote this. Thank You for say what I was thinking so eloquently. I am 45 yrs old and have never felt so overwheld with emotion on this GREAT HISTORIC DAY!

Yes we can!
    Yes we did!
    Fired up!
    Ready to go!
    God Bless America

2. Elaine, Missouri

Go crazy folks, go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. SARA

THIS IS NOT ONLY HISTORY FOR SENATOR OBAMA, BUT HISTORY
    FOR AMERICA!!!!! I AM PROUD OF THIS GREAT MOMENT IN THIS
    GREAT COUNTRY. LET US ALL NOT FEEL JEALOUSY ANY HATE,
    BUT PRIDE,.

YES WE CAN.

4. BJ

congradulations homeboy obama.GOD BLESS YOU MORE AND MORE.
    OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.08

5. D F

<-Obama Supporter: After years of not believing anything a politician says, knowing that they're either trying to sell you something (themselves), or get something from you, my only hope is that he means everything he says, and that he says everything he means.

6. Linda, Ireland

This is a great moment for America, and indeed, much of the world!!

Today you've made statement to the rest of us.. that America DOES value every citizen regardless of race! This is a huge step forward!

And even though Im not American, or living there..i cant help but feel i little pride!!

MOVING FORWARD AMERICA! CONGRATULATIONS

Linda from Ireland!

7. Democrat

Wayne, it has gone both ways.

8. Unreadable

YES! YES! YES!

No to Republicans, no to triangulators, yes to real progressives who care about real people!

9. Lolita FONTANA CA

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!
    TAYLOR IN FL WELCOMED ABOARD WE NEED TO BEAT MCAIN IN NOV.
    OBAMA SUPPORTERS GET THE VOTE OUT!!!!!!

TRUE DEMS SHOULD NOW UNITE IF YOU ARE VOTING FOR MCAIN YOU ARE NOT A TRUE DEM

10. Rob

Finally–waiting to exhale

11. Melanie, Lake Wales, FL

WOOT WOOT! GO OBAMA!

Now Clinton Supporters put your losing behind you and jump on the Democratic wagon!

12. paul

Congratulatons, Sen. Obama!

I started out as a Biden supporter (gave him $$) but you won me over after Sen. Biden dropped out. Those of us who missed JFK's Presidency now have a chance to experience first hand an open, transformative Presidency that inspires the country and the world. One that begins with many detractors, here and abroad, but that wins them over with fresh ideas, wise decisions, and brilliant day-to-day execution. Just as we've seen in your campaign.

You had many chances to take exasperated shots at Sen. Clinton and her antics, but you took the high road. That alone is a good indication that you have some of the right stuff for the job.

I'll be sending in my second check to you soon.

13. Paula in WI

Time for Party Unity........GO DEMOCRATS !!

14. njvoter

YEEEEESSSSSS OBAAAAMA

As for Hillary Clinton supporters THANK YOU and I want to say I have a tremendous respect for Senator Clinton because I think if she didn't stay in this race he wouldn't have been seasoned for the onslaught the republicans are bringing.

Even though hillary Clinton supporters are going to say mean things I want to appreciate you in advance and I hope that you can join us so CLINTON CAN ALSO HAVE A VOICE IN THE FUTURE ADMINISTRATION.

15. Brad

Are you kidding me? You cut away from McCain's speech to let your talking heads worship Obama even though it's been known for weeks that he would be the nominee?!?!

16. Bean Counter, Motor City, MI

Aren't all the independents going to realize that this dude is way too liberal to be President. He will make George Bush's foreign policy look like genius and Jimmy Carter's economic policies look fantastic.

17. DOH!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MC CAIN IS GOING DOWN!!!!!! BUH-BYE MC SAME!!

18. julie - oakland, ca

yeah. another white man will be president!

19. wright

We are all in trouble and we have all the brainwashed, delusional Obamabots to thank.

Democrat voting McCain '08

20. Kentucky for Obama

Woo-Hoo!! All Right!!! I am very proud to have been an Obama supporter since summer of 2007, and to be a part of this historic moment in history. What a story to tell my grandchildren... I already have two. We are of Cherokee and French descent. I am so happy, happy, happy to teach my grandchildren that we have finally become a nation that recognizes and respects the best candidate regardless of race or color!! Let us move forward to reach out and reclaim our country from greed and ignorance in our White House. It belongs to us.

21. WOW

I AM GOING TO CRY, THIS IS SUCH A HISTORIC MOMENT

22. Laurie

My fingers and toes are crossed for the DREAM TEAM!

~Obama & Clinton in 2008!~

23. Milwaukee

There is no reason for any minority to say they can't acheive something. YES WE CAN!!!

24. tyrez

To all of you who would risk everything that HIllary Clinton stands for (universal health care, increased veterans' benefits, the end of the war in Iraq, sane energy policy, etc.) by voting for McCain, have fun with Karl Rove in h-e-double-hockey-sticks..

25. Jimi NY