June 3rd, 2008
4 months ago

Obama clinches Democratic nomination

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama has clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN projects as polls in the South Dakota primary closed at 9 p.m. ET.

CNN still has not projected a winner in the South Dakota primary, but based on exit polls and raw vote estimates the Illinois senator will receive at least five pledged delegates from this primary, enough to put him over the top. CNN also estimates that rival Hillary Clinton will receive at least five delegates from the South Dakota primary.

Related: Watch CNN's projection of Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Joseph in PA

Congratulations to all of us who are Democrats for weathering this competitive race. Congratulations to both candidates for making each other stronger.

It's TIME to UNTIE my fellow Democrats. Four more years of McBush... NO WAY!!!

Together, as Democrats we can all say, YES WE CAN! and YES WE WILL!!

Democrats in 08!!

June 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  2. royanne

YES WE DID!!!!!!!

OBAMARAMARAMA '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. Kiki from Hotlanta

I can't believe my grandmother lived to see this.

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  4. Deb B.

Why do we bother to vote if the winner doesn't get the nod? Throw out the stinkin delegates and let US decide!

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. Gar

Obama might have been annoited by the democrats but there is about half the country who must elevate him to sainthood. this may be tougher than the media makes it out to be,one obstacle, John McCain who has suffered a lot for his country and may just be rewarded for the great service and pain he has been through to deserve the chance. Ask any veteran who had a shot fired in anger McCain is no warmonger but knows the cost of peace.

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  6. Victoria

Go McCain? Yeah, Go away!

That speach almost put me to sleep! Thank God CNN interrupted.

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. Tony

HE LOST SOUTH DAKOTA???

Limp on to the general election, my friend.

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Alex B.

MCCAIN 08

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Lisa

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Dandelion.

:D!!!!!

June 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. ErinOK

This is so exciting! This is a great day in American. If we can elect Obama/Clinton in November, it will be one of the greatest days in America. Its time to unite; it is time to beat McCain. I know many people do not want Clinton to be VP because of some of the tactics in the primaries. Please look at it this way (should it happen) – the tactics will be used against McCain. Obama/Clinton – lets UNITE!

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. Carla

I can not believe that all people got convinced with Barak Obama.
    I am a Hillary supported and I will stand there until the end; so I am not going to vote this elections because I don't believe in Obama and I do not trust in MacCain
    Really deeply I hope that all the people that voted for Obama won't get disappointed soon enough to regret their votes!
    Please review other situations in other part of the world, don't even far from USA, do research and think a little bit before to go to vote... See Mexico elections on 2002, Venezuela with Chavez, Cuba with Fidel!!!
    I agree with Gob bless America!! and please do not vote for MacCain!!

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. DemocracyNow2008

Obama I am proud that you are our Democratic Nominee.
    I hope my kid will grow up in a world of peace and understanding .
    You will beat McCain and bring needed progressive change to America and start a movement that will bring the world together in harmony not hate love not fear .

I will work to makesure your elected the next President of The United States of America.

May you be blessed always Senator.

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  14. Barbara

The superdelegates decided this primary. The Democrats are no better than the Florida Republicans. Donna Brazille was going to leave the party if super delegates made the decision. Seems she recanted/. I cried when G. Bush was named President. I'm crying now.

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  15. cheap

The democratic nomination process is a crock....all the superdelegates and drama! If we were lucky enough to nominate like the Republicans we would be celebrating a different candidate right now.

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  16. latrice

this is history in the making next step the white house

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  17. Fonzi, an independent.

Congratulations, USA!!!! Another milestone has been set not in the USA alone but for the world. A blackman winning the primary nomination of a major party in a mostly white population. I remember reading a silly commentary from an european blogger calling Americans fools for letting a blackman competing in a primary.

Another reason why America leads the world. Go USA!!! This is the reasons why God has blessed USA.

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. Obama 4 President

Congrats

Obama 08!

All You obama harters out there are idiots.

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. Jay

Why did he loose North Dakota? Dosent look good for him. He will ahve won 3 of the last 10?? Come on..HE WILL NEVER WIN!

June 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. Patty

For the first time in my adult life I am ashamed of this country's democratic process!!!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Steve (Independent)

Excellent! It's one of those moments in history that makes me extra-proud to be an American!

Way to go, Sen, I mean, Pres. Obama

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  22. Andrew from Birmingham

I am now a Republican.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  23. Kiki from Hotlanta

Clinton supporters are under cover republicans.

I knew it.

why are yall so made.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  24. Sara

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! Congrats, Obama!

I'm graduating from high school on Friday, and I can't imagine a better graduation present than this!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  25. sixseven1

NO HILLARY FOR VEEP ~ SHE WILL ONLY COST YOU MANY VOTES AND AT LEAST 17 MILLION WHO STATEDTHEY WOULD VOTE FOR MCCANN ~ TOO MANY OTHER BETTER PEOPLE OUT THERE ~NO HILLARY OR BILL ~ WHOOPPEE

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |