June 3rd, 2008
2 months ago

Obama clinches Democratic nomination

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama has clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN projects as polls in the South Dakota primary closed at 9 p.m. ET.

CNN still has not projected a winner in the South Dakota primary, but based on exit polls and raw vote estimates the Illinois senator will receive at least five pledged delegates from this primary, enough to put him over the top. CNN also estimates that rival Hillary Clinton will receive at least five delegates from the South Dakota primary.

Related: Watch CNN's projection of Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. ErinOK

Correction: This is a great day in America!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. Terry Richmond, Va.

Can we say "fired up and ready to GO!"

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. Jesse

Yes we can-What? Go down with party and country? Be ready for another 4 years of GOP.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. Army Wife

----WE LOVE OBAMA, BUT NO HILL IN THE W.H---

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. G. Gabelli

God Bless America!

AND

The United States of America is BACK!

CONGRATULATIONS SENATOR OBAMA!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. Steve-Florida

The democratic party will never understand how they messed up and that millions and millions of us we will not be unified because so many of us were disenfranchised. Sad but true.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. American Citizen

Hello American People!

Well, the insiders of the Democratic Party have picked up Obama like the nominee. So the American Hero is now our hope to defend our values. Thanks Fighter Lady for your tenacity, fortress, and dedication.

Go McCain!!!
    God Bless America!!!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  8. Terry

Wins the Democratic nomination...
    Loses the Presidential Election in November IF he does not pick Hillary as VP.

As for those who say they are Hillary supporters and bash us Hillary supporters who will note vote for Obama... Maybe it's more about the person running for election and not a PARTY. Maybe it's more about trusting the PERSON then rhetoric or simply the party they represent. I was a registered Independent until this election when I voted for Hillary in the primary. It wasn't because she was white, it wasn't because she was a Democrat, it was because behind all ideas and actual plans she told of how to make change happen(unlike some who just spewed "change Koolaid", I actually believe she would do the things she said she would because she worked so hard all her life to do so and you could see it and you could feel it.

In 2006 I voted Democratic for pretty much every seat open because the Democrats said they would stop Bush in Iraq. They lied... They cowered.. The did nothing.. They backed down.. Never again wil I vote simpy for a party, but judge each person up for the position from each party and choose. Voting line item in the voting booth is as clueless as a lemmings that run off cliffs. I do not think Obama is the best person to lead this country out of all the candidates. Choice 1 would be Hillary, McCain 2nd, and Obama 3rd.. Vote for WHO you think would do the best job. Not who you are forced to HOPE would do the best job because you have fewer alternatives. Nobama. Didn't drink the Koolaid.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. Gale Oxley

I wish to congratulate all Americans who took the step of faith and voted for the FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE. In the Caribbean we cannot fathom this success but history and tears of the American southern states has brought feelings of awe to the surface. An achievement such as this was not thrust upon the man but the uphill struggle against all odds and sacrifice was evident in the final moments. I am certain he will win the presidency thereby making the free world truly free. He has more than he knows but only those who have eyes can see. God bless him, his mother who bore him and all who opposed him making him the refined individual that he has become.

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  10. Clinton as VP

Obama/Clinton in '08 – THE DREAM TEAM!

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  11. Sydney

YES WE CAN!!!!!!
    YES WE DID!!!!!!
    YES WE HAVE!!!!

Obama '08/12

June 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  12. Aseoluwa

Today History is made in America and the world.
    Congrats Obama and the Obama campaign team!!

13. Chris H. Willowbrook, IL

Congrats Sen, Obama! Way to make Illinois proud! Best of luck against McCain. To you Clinton supporters, she ran a great race, I hope you will consider Obama now so we don't have another 4 years of Bush politics... Democrats in '08!!!

14. jess from Canada

I am enjoing this so much!! People crying, people praying, people singing-WHAT A BUNCH OF FOOLS

15. Marie in California

Too bad.

Since Hillary's out, now I'll have to vote for McCain....and that's true even if Hillary comes aboard as VP.

Envisioning Obama in the presidency is like having my worst nightmare unfolding before my very eyes. At least McCain is an honorable and distinguished man who has given much for his country.

McCain – 2008

16. darrell

WOW! What an historic moment. Let's take tonight and enjoy this victory, and tomorrow reach out to all other democrats, unite, and defeat McCain in 08.

17. susie

After the people found out more about his friends the primaries started going to Hillary. Yet, the superdelegates took the nomination from the people and gave it to Obama.

18. LJ

For all of you supposed DEMs who say that you will be either not vote or Vote for McCain... to in effect hand Obama a loss... you will have no one but yourselves to blame if McCain wins an the country continues down this road... I hope that you enjoy the condition we're in now. If you don't wise up, we'll have for more years of the same

19. ann

Why do we go to polls to cast our CHOiCES for Presedential Nominations????? Politicians have taken away the American peoples right Why do the delegate and super delegates get to over take Americans born rights???? We have had 8years of bad leadership and will have another 4 led by a person who has no experience in running our country Oh that is WRONG IT IS NOT OUR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!! JUST POLITICIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!

20. Sophie

To all who supported Clinton, sorry but she is not what our nation needs right now. And I have to say I am disappointed in her for not backing out sooner and embracing the beautiful movement that has propelled Sen. Barack Obama. I was most inspired by his book when I read it in 2005, and further supported this man when I found out he voted to not authorize the Iraq War, something Hillary Clinton did in a New York second. As a 22 year old, a "newbie" to our democracy and the process, I am thrilled to see that my future will be better because of how I voted this year. I am the future, and I am asking all you Clinton supporters to trust me, because the future belongs to me, and I want you to trust me with it. I trust Obama with it, please trust him.

21. Teresa, Georgia

Obama...CONGRATULATIONS! YOU DID IT...WE DID IT!

YES WE CAN! and YES WE WILL TAKE BACK THE WHITEHOUSE!

22. loribee

WOO-HOO!! OBAMA '08!!

23. Amy

What a historic Moment in American Polictics!! Obama has done us all proud! What a charming, polite, ethical and charismatic young man!!!It is high time the issue of race and other differences gets put aside. I believe in chnage and that is what Obama is all about. As a black British of African descent, I believe American Politics has had a major breakthrough today and I hope and pray United Kingdon will follow suite. It might be a while but I believe it might happen in UK too.

24. Don

Can someone please throw some water on Hillary so she gets out of way of some real change in politics...

25. No more Hillary

Sorry, just can't take any more of "that woman". Obama has made me very proud to be a white American female Obama supporter. I will be beyond words with pride when he becomes president.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10