June 3rd, 2008

Oklahoma superdelegate endorses Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Oklahoma Democratic Party chairman and uncommitted superdelegate Ivan Holmes will endorse Barack Obama on Tuesday evening, CNN has learned.

Holmes, who has led the state party since 2007, initially supported John Edwards and said he has remained neutral throughout the nomination process because Hillary Clinton won the Oklahoma primary on Super Tuesday.

He told CNN he is making an endorsement today because “I’ve been trying to be sure in my mind it’s over, which it now looks like it is to me.”

Holmes insisted the Democratic party needs to have a nominee in place “so we can get on with McCain and not each other.”

He said he had spoken with Obama over the phone earlier in the day, but he has not yet informed the senator of his final decision.

1. Josephine

Mr. Holmes you did the right thing.

June 3, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Cynthia

Why are my comments being put in moderation. I don't think any of them are mean and insensitive as some of the others that I have seen posted under the different storylines.

June 3, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Linda

Thank you Ivan Holmes, you have helped to secure my children and grandchildren's future.

June 3, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. aware

Canabalism at its most interesting! 😦

June 3, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. Shirley Q

It will not be over till Hillary goes to the convention!

June 3, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  6. martin

i like oklahoma.i'm choctaw.

June 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  7. Keifer S.

It should never have come this far but here we are. And Barack Obama has won the nominee. Shame that it took 5 overtimes to prove that Obama was the one and only choice all along. We would gratefully honor a cabinet posting for Hillary, but I'm afraid the VP position is off the table for her. We wouldn't want her challenging Obama's ability to be commander in chief would we? Remember Noah from Season Six?

June 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Pistoff

OK is OK!

June 3, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Jenny

YES YES YES!!!

June 3, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. Linned

It is apparent that Senator Obama is going to be the Democratic nominee and my hope is that the party can come together.

June 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  11. John

The Democrats just lost my vote. No ifs, ands, or butts!!!

June 3, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |