June 3rd, 2008

Poll: Obama has edge over McCain

Obama has a slight lead over McCain in a new poll.
Obama has a slight lead over McCain in a new poll.

(CNN) – On the same day Barack Obama could clinch the Democratic nomination for president, a new poll out Tuesday shows the Illinois senator holds a slight lead over presumptive Republican nominee John McCain among likely voters nationwide.

The new USA Today/Gallup survey shows the Illinois senator with a 5 point advantage over McCain among likely voters, 49 percent to 44 percent. That margin is just outside the poll's 4 point margin of error, meaning Obama appears to hold a slight advantage over the Arizona senator with five months remaining until voters weigh in at the polls.

The survey shows Hillary Clinton also leads McCain, though with a margin that is just with the poll's sampling error. According to the survey, the New York senator bests McCain by 4 points, 48 percent to 44 percent.

A similar poll conducted by USA Today/Gallup last month showed John McCain beating both candidates - a potential sign the ongoing Democratic presidential race has not hurt the party's chances in November.

In a recent CNN analysis of several national polls, Obama holds a 1 point lead over McCain, 46 percent to 45 percent. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton holds a 4 point lead over McCain, 48 percent to 44 percent.

1. Anon

After reading the obnoxious remarks by the Obama supporters, I think McCain might get my vote. I am ashamed of my fellow democrats.

June 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. trellskig

Answer me this, why won't "Obama's Republicans" support Hillary if she is to be the nominee. As most people on the blogs state, "her policy is similar to Obama's policy.

June 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Dem for McCain

Leave it to CNN to cherry pick the poll resutls that show Obama beating McCain. If people want the real story of what's going on in the polls I recommend visiting another web site which I can't say here since my comment will get deleted. In anycase, the "other" web site will show you that McCain is consistently running 3-4 points ahead in the dailing Gallup and Pew tracking polls. These polls are a better representation of what is going on instead of the single USA today poll. Of coure CNN doesn't want to mention the polls that show Obama leading. This is getting out of control here people.

June 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Tejano

We the American public are not ready to turn over our beloved country to a novice. Should this happen the State of Texas will become the Republic of Texas. If you think that $4.00 gas is high, wait till we take our oil with us and reform our own country.

June 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. former HRC supporter now backing BHO

fight for your right to vote
    ***************************
    your crazy I supported HRC as well but it is not worth it let go my neghibors son died in the war and you want this to cont?.....same on you all......party first cante 2nd!!!

June 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. Paul

The people will have their say in November. We will then have heard the last of BHO. Remember all those big, older white male, blue collar, lunch box, hispanic states BHO has all the problems with? He will still have those problems in November and we won't have to stand by and watch the Electoral College votes be proporationately divided by the DNC. Sorry BHO, but when those votes are counted, you will be gone.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

To those who think it's suspicious and a little dubious, I do too, Why??
    Because a full 70% of all Americans feel we're on the wrong course. And a year ago, this number was over 60%.
    As people realize that Senator McCain is promoting similar positions as President Bush
    1) judges – Pres Bush appointed Alito and Roberts, McCain said 3 weeks ago that he'd appoint judges like Alito, Roberts, Scalia and Thomas

2) war – we've all known that Pres Bush's Iraq war was an unnecessary war and Scott McClellan/s book doesn't change that in any way. How about that $10 billion we spend over there every month, a lot going in no-bid contracts to Halliburton and other "connected" entities.

3) economy – it's no secret that McCain used part of his influence back in the 80's to push through a deal that ended up being the biggest savings & loan scandal in the history of this country. Now we see him tied to lobbyists (former Sen Phil Gramm who works on behalf of UBS) who were opposed to mortgage relief for hard-working people. And it's not like he hasn't had lobbyists running his campaign from the start. Hey, anybody heard about Charlie Black and his ties?
    We want this guy over the teetering economy we have now?

So yes, I think the reporting is a little odd. I would have thought the spread would be a LOT LARGER!! Oh well, there are some people who are Republicans through and through, and I respect them for that. But just remember, if you want change, you have to change not just the person but the policy mindset.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Gale

Yea, and according to the media, Kerry was going to whoop Bush! Things were going very well in the US, until we got a Democratic Congress Majority, or don't ya'll remember?

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. Sue

Barack Obama I hate your guts and you are going to destroy my country.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Hill to Obama

I'm a woman for Hillary who will definately vote for Obama
    Thankfully Obama has been very respectful to Hillary. I follow closely & he has been very careful never to personally attack Hillary

yes we do need Clinton supporters like me to get behind Obama

LET'S GROW UP!!

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. Ratgurl

This is not surprising. People want CHANGE, not more of the same.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  12. Steve

Ya gotta love it. Now he can't win unless Hillary is the VP or else they'll vote for McCain. Somehow, some way if it isn't Hillary, they go republican. Obviously they ARE republican, enamored by Hillary and otherwise hating democrats. When polled and asked to compare Obama vs. McCain, they say McCain. And Obama is still said to be leading. Get off this "If Hill doesn't win, I'm not playing" stuff. Who do you think will change their mind over those threats?

I love how Hillary is now supposed to say tonight that "Yes I agree Obama has the right number of delegates to win (today....) but he didn't beat me, I don't concede."

Still not playing gracefully, if she does this. Just sitting on the bench waiting for some event to occur to throw herself back in and save the party. I hope 150 supers go his way to morrow and dash her hopes of a switcheroo.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. TEXAS TRAIL DOG

This doesn't take into account all the Hillary supporters who will not vote for OBAMA in any situation like me. A 51-year veteran of the Democrat party who will fold my playing cards and stand behind JOHN McCAIN. Go ahead Obama supporters and say some more negatives comments about this. YES I WOULD RATHER HAVE FOUR MORE YEARS OF A FAILING ECONOMY THAN TO VOTE FOR BARACK (TERRORIST, LIAR, CROOK, ANTI-WHITE, ANTI-CHRISTIAN) OBAMA. You people are ignorant with your saying of poor white eneducated white folks. SO go ahead and call me a racist. I wasn't one until I read all the negative remarks coming from YOU PEOPLE. So go back to your dancing underneath the football stands while the game is going on you don't know anything else to do except drink cheap wine. I wonder how many of you are high-school drop-outs? YOU ARE THE EXACT REASON THIS COLLEGE GRADUATE IS VOTING FOR JOHN McCAIN. Besides I am for staying the course in Iraq. I also am a 28-year retiree of the U.S. Army who unlike OBAMA is PATRIOTIC.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Hillary08

WTG Obama for making sure the Republicans stayed in.

June 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. MCD, SF, CA

Dear Suspect – I don't know where you are coming from but I have never heard Obama trash ANYBODY except the present administration and perhaps Hillary's policies... he has been a complete gentlemen... so... stop making stuff up and posting it here.

Also, not voiting for Hillary does not make me a "Hillary Hater"! Grow up!

Dear Julian – of course Michigan is doing poorly... THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS IN A MESS because of the present administration.... why should Michigan be any different? And now you want more of the same? I just don't understand your thinking.

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  16. Carolyn

FOR "ALL" WHO SAY OBAMA CAN'T BEAT MCCAIN, BUT HILLARY CAN BE MCCAIN. WHY CAN'T ISN'T HILLARY BEATING OBAMA

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  17. Food for Thought

If you people are truly Hillary supporters, then what are you going to do when she campaigns hard for Obama against McCain? Are you still going to vote McCain, even with your girl Hillary standing with Obama? That would make you against Hillary as well.

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Bboy

Even if Hillary is on the ticket as VP (I doubt she will be) I will vote for the person who is most qualified to run this country as President, and unfortunately, unless some how Clinton does pull off the nomination, will be John McCain. Sorry Hillary Clinton is being shafted!

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Karen

Obama will have a landslide victory in November, no matter what Clinton extreme supporters decide to do.

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Ben

The last thing we need is another guy from World War II!!!!

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. t-bone

Your "polls" have been dead wrong lately, and this poll is no different. There is no way on earth Obama could beat McCain.

June 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. realist

Let's put it this way. Do you seriously believe any Fortune 500 company – much less a country - would make someone with Obama's lack of experience the CEO?

June 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Josh, CA

Hillary supporters should help Obama send McBush back to Arizona. The economy, health care and the Supreme Court are at stake and those supporters should not lose sight on that. By the way, I was Hillary guy before becoming Obama supporter.

June 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Big gator

Lots of crybabies here. He beat Hill and her band of bags fair and square.Your theats mean nothing. All I know is she won't be president.

June 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Cynthia

People stop crying that the media is pro- Obama...that why they played looped tapes of his church over and over and played snippets of his wife's speech and every other negative they could make up? Give me a break! Obama is the nominate and if you decide to support McCain then you couldn't possible have supported Hillary for her policies...because if you did you would never vote against Obama just because you need someone to blame. Please grow up people and get back to the principles....listening to the "whiners" reminds me of when I was in grade school and if a kid didn't like the game...he took his ball and went home, If you ever take the time to listen to Mr. Obama you may actually agree with him...and if you are just plain racist...put on goggles....because you will need more than that...perhaps a seeing eye dog to survive one term with McCain!

June 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |