June 3rd, 2008

Schneider: A tale of two states

Voters in the last two states, Montana and South Dakota, wrapped up the grueling coast-to-coast Democratic nominating marathon.

(CNN) - Two very white, working-class Western states. But look closer: there are some very real differences between the two sets of Democratic primary voters in tonight’s final primary contests.

South Dakota’s primary was closed, only registered Democrats were allowed to weigh in. But roughly one in three primary voters in Montana are independent – and that group is heavily supporting Barack Obama.

Hillary Clinton may have had an easier time winning over the party’s base - but Obama’s campaign will be counting on his ability to go toe-to-toe with John McCain over independent voters

1. dave

For all women out there, even if you dont like Hillary Clinton. June 25 th is Hillary Clinton's Day!!
    To show that a women could anything she wants!!!

June 3, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. Lorraine Jackson

Go Obama!!

June 3, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. fred

He will never get them and he will not be able to get most of Hillary's supporters. Goodbye Obama....Hello President McCain!!

June 3, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  4. EJ

Are you sure you want McCain. Listening to his speech if you elect him we are in trouble America. Huge trouble. The Economy will be at its worst ever. worse then bush for sure.

June 3, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. seah

Hillary is the better candidate to go against McCain.

Hillary would be the better President.

If Obama is on the Democratic ballot in Nov, I will be voting republican

June 3, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  6. Ryan Asbert

This election seems to represent a very obvious trait.

The Right is going McCain.

The Left is going Clinton.

The Moderates/Middle are going Obama.

Personally, after hundreds of years of this bipartisan blood bath, it's refreshing to see some balance finally emerging... It's all very zen.

June 3, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  7. Linda

I am one that will not support Obama. I will not vote for him at all ...if it was Hillary she would have my vote. Looks like i will be crossing party lines.

June 3, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  8. Aliou FL

McPain looks like a scarecrow. autorized the war. will stay a 100 years

June 3, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. WHY DOES MCCAIN'S SPEECH INFLECTION SOUND LIKE HE'S TALKING TO CHILDREN???

Good Lord, if he's not the poster child for pandering, I don't know what is. I CAN'T WAIT for the debates!!!

No to McCain and his 100 year war!

Congrats OBAMA!!!

June 3, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. TXBad1

Facts, Obama , can not Carry the Major states, and alot had no dems in Local races so People Voted Republican to fix problems in County's and Citys, so in November Most will not support Obama and Maybe Hillary should run as Independent! Its time Dean and the Others Learn were tired of Being Fed a Candidate that can not win in November! and the super Deligates that Hold office, Hillary supporters Target in there elections! time to remove them also!

June 3, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  11. paul

Hillary didn't get a chance to tell the Montana voters, "My granddad used to take me fly fishing all the time. I had my own rod when I was in the White House, and whenever I was feeling fed up with the way the press was treating us I would sneak out with Chelsea and a Secret Service agent and we would all give it a go with the trout."

June 3, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  12. Ryan Asbert

And the bitter angry feminists storm to chime in with their, "I'm not voting Obama because I'm like everyone else who votes for the candidate with the familiar last name."

Come on, America... Are we REALLY that immature? Grow up.

June 3, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. WOMAN THAT BELIEVES HILLARY IS A PARTY SPOILER!

I am a Independent that will stand with Obama through most everything except his choosing Hillary as VP.

I am watching McCain now on TV his group sounds as old and listless as he is, they are boring, it's as if they realize they are there in support of someone that is feeding them a chrock of BS. McCain don't believe half the mess he is dishing out, this joker does not stand a chance against Obama unless he can sway a bunch of mindless sombies to believe he is different than Bush.

WE DO NOT WANT HILLARY FOR VP!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  14. rachel

If Obama loses S.D tonight that is a statement all by itself. Dem leaders have been crying for hillary to leave for months now so their guy Obama looks good. It says something that even though reports that its over Obama won the nomination that people still went out and voted for hillary. Its funny people keep saying hillary trashed barrack, she hasnt said anything about him in weeks. He flipped her off brushed her off his shoulders and had his clergy croonies make fun of her at the pulpit. It amazies me that people say oh why blame Obama. That preacher worked on Obama's campaign, Obama gave him money, He is an extenstion of Obama. I really have had it with the dem party.

June 3, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. Anyone listening to Mcain??

Is it just me or what? this guy makes me wanna sleep just listening to him.

June 3, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. Carrie Pa

McCain was talking about how Hillary inspired his daughters. Is this the same person who voted against equal pay for women?

June 3, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  17. fred

We don't want Obama as President!!!

Obama will lose by a landslide in November!!!

There will be Millions of Democrats voting Republican in November!!!

June 3, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Tailor, FL

Please read..

I am a VERY proud Hilary supporter!! Have been from day one..
    I feel strongly that Hilary would have made a better president!

But i am FURIOUS at fellow clinton supporters who say they will vote John McCain!!

They are dishonouring the one person they've been supporting!! They are Traitors..by all means, write Hilarys' name on the Ballot! but PLEASE dont contribute to another 4 years of HELL in America! I can hardly afford to feed my 3 young daughters thanks to the republican party..

CLINTON SUPPORTER FOR OBAMA!!

(but you obama supporters have got to be more welcoming)

June 3, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. No McWar

Here is comes... a major projection.

YAY! OBAMA IS THE NOMINEE!

June 3, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. Greg

It is a travesty that all primaries/caucuses are not open to all voters.

Independents deserve the opportunity to have their votes count.

June 3, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Texas Vet

We many, we happy many, we band of brothers and sisters. For those that vote with me in November for Obama shall ever be my Family. That vote shall change our condition. Voters that stayed away or voted otherwise shall think themselves accursed. And they shall stay silent while any speak that voted with us on that blessed day.

Stolen from Will….mangled by me

June 3, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Ali

"...But roughly one in three primary voters in Montana are independent – and that group is heavily supporting Barack Obama

Hillary Clinton may have had an easier time winning over the party’s base — but Obama’s campaign will be counting on his ability to go toe-to-toe with John McCain over independent voters"

EXACTLY!! Congratulations Senator Obama!!

June 3, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Olie Tucker

Ryan Asbert, your got some stuff wrong. The Left is going overwhelmingly for Obama. He won the nomination especially the caucus votes from far left anti war activists.

June 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Patty

I am a 51 year old white female, that supports Hillary Clinton. In November I will be voting for McCain not obama. He cheated on the election in 1996 to get elected. I watched the whole thing on CNN, I guess that is Chicago politics, is that how it will be if he becomes President?

June 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Jae

How dare John McCain would deliver a speech from a suburb of New Orleans, Kenner, LA, and claim that he is in New Orleans? Kenner REFUSED to allow any of those same persons he described displaced by the floods to enter into their city. Kenner is the city where the former sheriff said he would shoot any body who "looked" like they didn't belong in the city. How dare you John McCain?
    How dare you patronize? How dare you defame the memory of those who died in the floods and those who have since died because of the floods? The carcinogena trailers? The failed legal system? The failed Emergency Management Administration. How dare you? When the city is still attempting to recover from the destruction and desertion of the federal and state governments? How dare you?

June 3, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |