June 3rd, 2008

Schneider: On the final night, an exit poll first

(CNN) – South Dakota may have gone solidly for Hillary Clinton – but there’s a clue buried in the exit polls that suggests the healing process in the Democratic Party may already be underway.

A significant majority of voters – roughly seven in 10 – said both Democratic candidates were honest and trustworthy. It’s the final night of the primary season – but the first time that has happened since voting began in Iowa five months ago.

It may also be one sign that primary voters who did not support Barack Obama the first time around may be willing to believe the best about the Illinois senator heading into November.

1. Hillary: The Real Nominee

The People Want Hillary! Nearly 18 Million voters after tonight.

Yes; we need to count every vote. Yes to Solutions for America.

Yes to Hillary, who has the solutions we can believe in!

June 3, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  2. gouni

let's move on and unite

June 3, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. Anonymous

When there are real votes Sen. Obama can't win.

Hillary a lady liberty has spoken.

Healthcare for everyone. (Yes We Can)

June 3, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Small Towner, South Dakota

Charlotte,
    I completely agree with your observation... Obama would lose if every state would've have voted tonight, rather than spread over the last 6 months.

June 3, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  5. Powell in NC

WOW! I have never felt more proud to be an American that at this very moment. Although while I am ecstatic for Barack, I feel so much for Hillary. I can honestly say that six months ago- I was caught up in the emotion of the race, and fervently vowed my sole loyalty to my man... and I can understand the anger and disappointment of Hillary's supporters. I would have been right there had the tables been turned. I have though- over the past few months regained my respect for her ( which If I'm being honest, was there all the time). Lets call her the Tenacious C.

Whether or not she becomes Obama's VP running mate, she is going to make a difference in this election. I just want to give her a hug- not that she needs it- its just who I am. Her speech this evening brought tears to my eyes. she said it but I want to thank her myself. Thank You for being such a remarkable woman, role model and leader.

I hope we can all come together and beat McCain in the November election. The dream from the past generation has come to fruition. I can only hope for great things to come- and an end to the partison bickering. To bring our reputation in the wolrld back to the status it should be- a fair and balanced country with respect to ALL citizens of this earth we call home.

June 3, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. gouni

Obama for president

June 3, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. jp/michigan

Congratulations to Obama. Enjoy, enjoy. You have a long way to go before you are entitled to the presidency. But enjoy your nomination.

June 3, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  8. Sally, Minnesota

Yes, go Dems! Unite and fight for the America we see slipping away these past years. We want the rule of law, civil liberities, less war and more diplomacy, Supreme Court nominations, Dojustice not injustice and provable election results.
    McCain and more Republican rule is detrimental to this country; the 2% at the top have had control for too long.

June 3, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  9. Frank from San Angelo, TX

I will always believe in Hillary Clinton. She is right for our country, our party and our future. All hail Hillary!!!
    However, Obama will bring the change we desperately need. The way forward is clear.....OBAMA '08!!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  10. Jay Jay

Baraka Obama...History maker!!!! Respect!!!
    This era should be call....... The Turning of America.

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. TRU-K

I cant believe what I just heard, I am no longer with Hillary. She does not care about the interest of the party or the people she only cares about herself...unbelievable....Obama has won...if she really cares about the state of the nation she would support him...lost all respect...ALL

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  12. paul

Slightly OT – I missed the cutoff for the other thread.

There will be many post mortems. Here's my take: Hillary is basically a positive thinker, someone who sets a goal for herself and keeps telling herself that some way, somehow, she's going to achieve that goal. This, of course, is a trait shared by many extremely successful people, especially entrepreneurs. I give her credit for staying in the race and scoring impressive victories after most would have quit, indeed, after many of her supporters had suggested or urged her to give up.

I'm not sure it's the best trait for POTUS, though. I think George W. Bush is also a "positive thinker" – that whole "can do" self-help culture is very well established in Texas, in particular. Backed by the world's greatest military and a lot of powerful alliances, the President can do a lot of damage by overestimating our ability to enforce our view of right and wrong in a foreign land.

And I think some of Hillary's problems with "whoppers" (Bosnian sniper fire, helping broker the peace as First Lady, etc.) may be partially due to this "positive thinking" mentality. She says something to a crowd, sees that it works, so she uses it. It gets her to where she needs to be, so there's no need to reflect on whether it's the right thing to do. More importantly, I see this mentality being behind her vote on the Iraq war, and her recent support for McCain's gasoline tax holiday. I’m sure she realized that both of these programs were rather poorly thought out, but I think she saw in each of them a way of getting through to a constituency she wasn’t reaching before.

One thing I like about Obama – a little thing that isn't commented on much – is that he's a serious amateur basketball player, one who competed successfully in college and who continues to play hard at the local 'Y'. Participation sports are much different than spectator sports. Positive thinking, trash talking, resume padding, and dressing to kill won't get you very far if you don't have the skills to match up when you get on the court, and developing and keeping the skills basically takes a lifetime. So I knew right then and there that Obama is not a Bush-type positive thinker. He does think big, obviously, but it's balanced by his realization that great achievement must be earned through painstaking preparation.

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  13. Erika, Kansas

No Flipping Way! This is one democrat that cannot support Obama. He's accomplished NOTHING while in Congress. He came out of nowhere, has done nothing, and he wants us to believe he is capable of leading the country? No flipping way!

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  14. Chris

....this won't end well. I'm guessing 17 million Hillary supporters will get to say "I told you so".

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  15. steve

It is a shame that the popular vote doesn't count. It is a shame of what has become of the Democratic Caucus or elections. It is a shame what the democratic party has done . It is a shame what the media has done. It is a shame that the media doesn't realize that this election isn't over. It is a shame that a candidate can win a state but not the pledged delgates. Shame on you america. It is a shame that the some can't pick the strongest most intelligent honest democratic nominee. It is a shame that people can't read between the lines.

God bless America

June 3, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. Lora B.

Don't count on it. Once the republicans get a hold of him, they're gonna swift boat him all the way to China. They will make the primary between he and Clinton look like a walk in the park.

June 3, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  17. Tim in ATLANTA

Rejoice Everybody...Its time to pop bottles!! Obama can finally hammer away at Hillary's political narrow wooden white box. McCain is next. Lets go Barack

June 3, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  18. Larry of So Dakota

I voted for Hillary, but in a general election I would vote McCain before Obama as I believe we need proven leadership. I think Senator Obama is a fine person and honest, but just not have the experience to lead us. Speeches alone will not turn our country around nor protect us from the evils in this world.

June 3, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. OK4Obama

I hope that we as democrats can see beyond today. Can see beyond the media and pundits to what matters. What are the democratic goals? I hope in the end we can forge a coalition with the GOAL of achieving ....(fill in blank, the power is ours!!) I look forward to working with you!

June 3, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  20. gouni

we need change gone bush and clinton era!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  21. Karen in Cape Cod

Since when does the candidate who wins the popular vote lose to someone who has the super delegates vote who do NOT represent the voters?

June 3, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  22. John

How dare Clinton make a speech like that. WE DO NOT WANT HER AS THE VP for what we just saw on CNN. I was for it earlier but she just convinced me she is divisive and will argue a point even when wrong. NO TO OBAMA/CLINTON ticket!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  23. neutral

will not vote for Obama unless Hillary is VP.
    Shame on these elections.
    Hillary is stronger, better candidate.

June 3, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Tina Columbus,ohio

Hillary won the popular vote and come Nov. I think that her supports are going to go back to the old days and pick up the pen and WRITE IN HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT.!!!!!! I think it might actually work!!!

June 3, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  25. 45 white male in PA

JUST SAY NO...to HilLIARy. do not pick her as a vp...I will vote for Mccain if she is on the ticket..she is no good, cannot be trusted.

June 3, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |