June 3rd, 2008

Schneider: The generation gap persists

(CNN) – The youngest and oldest voters in South Dakota’s Democratic primary overwhelmingly support their candidate – but as in many contests this primary season, both groups have landed on opposite sides of the Democratic divide, according to early exit polls.

The youngest voters, those aged 18-29, supported Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, 65 to 35 percent. Voters 65 and older had the exact same level of support for Clinton, voting for her 65-35 percent over Obama.

It’s a problem that’s plagued Obama all year: how to make his case to seniors, who have been critical to Democratic presidential hopes in past campaigns. Can he win them over by November?

1. Sophie

dude, that babie has tape on it's head. Ouch.

a very good visual metaphor on how painful her presidency would be for babies, and all humans alike.

On a much more important note: ANYONE who voted to authorize the Iraq war, in my opinion, IS NOT qualified to be president.

June 3, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  2. Marie in California

Obama's problems are just beginning. He's not going to get Hillary supporters like me, even if he adds Hillary as VP. Simply put, Obama has nothing to offer that I want to have. And that has absolutely nothing to do with age.

I'll vote McCain. At least McCain is an honorable man with a long and respected history.

Plus....the DNC will get a copy of the document when I re-register as a Republican this week. My anger and disgust at the DNC, especially after this past weekend, is way beyond repair. I'm done with them.

Signed.....professional Ph.D. female who doesn't sip latte.

And.....Go McCain – 2008!

June 3, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  3. Clinton Supporter

You can have the Democratic party. It's all yours. It no longer has any relevance for me. Women should ALL leave the boys to their circular firing squad. How any self respecting woman can cast a vote for that slimy excuse for a candidate is beyond me.

June 3, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  4. maureen

It has nothing to do with age it has to do with substance.
    I still think Obama is an empty suit.

June 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. Sue

Et/Al,

I am not a democrat, but watching what took place in the United States of America in reference to the Democratic nomination brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart in a way that I will remember and speak to the generations to come for many, many, years.

I hope that the Clinton camp and everyone that voted for her will come together and do the right thing and embrace this moment and move forward.

I have always been honored and proud to be an American, but I am especially proud today.

Take Care,

Sue

June 3, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  6. Smarter than that

OBAMA WON THE PRIMARY AND WILL EASILY WIN THE ELECTION.

HILARY IS A HINDERANCE TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND SHE DOES NOT RESPECT OR CARE ABOUT THE PARTY. THE FACT THE SHE WOULD NOT CONCEDE NOR CONGRADULATE OBAMA SHOWS HER CHARACTER. SHE SAYS SHE WANTS TO FIGHT FOR THE PEOPLE, BUT INSTEAD SHE IS FIGHTING AGAINST HER OWN PARTY.

NEVER EVER SHOULD OBAMA MAKE HER VP. SINCE SHE MENTIONED PRAYER, MY PRAYER IS THAT OBAMA FINDS A SUPPORTIVE RUNNING MATE THAT KNOWS THIS RACE IS NOT ABOUT HER OR HIM, BUT ABOUT AMERICA AND CHANGE AND THAT IS NOT HILLARY. SHE IS NOT A UNIFIER OF THE PARTY. SHE IS THE WORST AND BIGGEST GULF THAT DIVIDES IT.

June 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |