June 3rd, 2008

Schneider: What will Clinton’s voters do in November?

It is still not clear whether Clinton supporters are likely to throw their support to Obama.

(CNN) - Will angry Hillary Clinton supporters take their disappointment out at the polls this November by voting for presumptive Republican nominee John McCain over Barack Obama, or staying home altogether?

Roughly three out of five Clinton’s South Dakota supporters said they’d vote for Obama this fall, in early exit polls. Sixteen percent said they’d vote for McCain; roughly the same number, 17 percent, said they’d stay home altogether.

Among all Democratic primary voters in South Dakota, 55 percent said the party had been energized by the long primary season; 39 percent said it had had the opposite effect.

The tough primary slog may have taken a toll on party unity – is it temporary, or will it cost Democrats dearly this fall? Time will tell.

UPDATE: One more quick note: Clinton’s Montana voters were even more leery of Obama - one in four said they’d vote for presumptive Republican nominee John McCain this fall. And just over half in both states said they were not pleased with the party’s evident presidential pick.

Obama has his work cut out for him – and the level of Hillary Clinton’s support for him will be the big variable in this election-year equation.

1. Voter turn Obama

Fired Up Ready Too Go

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. spencer

I will only vote Obama if Hillary is the vp choice...........

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. Gary

NO NO NO !!! Not Hillary for VP.

What a travesty it would be to all who believe in the things that Obama is for.

What a kick in the head that would be !!!!

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. Kris

I don't care what they do. If they are foolish enough to vote for McCain and he wins, well, his policies don't hurt me directly. I'm male, single, no children, and highly salaried. I will actually benefit from what he brings to the table just as much as I would from Obama's policies. Yet I vote Democrat, because this is the only party with a soul...unlike those vile Republicans.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Sink with the Titanic.

America can't afford another Bush. People voting for McCain deserve whatever fate befalls them under a failing economy, and a 100 years war if the Republicans win again.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Robert in MD

This life-long Democrat will be voting for the most experienced candidate and that would not be Obama. Call me a racist, say I was never a Democrat or whatever other hateful things you have in your pocket, last I checked I still have the freedom of choosing who I vote for or is that going to change under the great uniter? It won't be easy I have never voted for a Repbulican my entire life but Obama can list that among his accomplishments (Getting more lielong Democrats to leave the party than any other candidate).
    Hillary will be back for sure after another landslide election where the Democrats carry only DC, Maryland and Illinios. His lack of doing anything as Senator including not even one oversight hearing on Afganistan will make even the most open minded politically correct American pause.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. JB

Who cares what they do. We can without them! They couldn't stop the nomination, even with all the lies and rules manipulation.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. stranded in fl

Vote Republican for one.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. KE

Choice A Hillary
    Choice B McCain

Those two have run legitimate campaign. The MSM and the DNC can have their candidate.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Raz

Can I ask why Hillary or McCain ? Do they have the same views?

Raz