June 3rd, 2008

Source: Clinton raised VP issue

Clinton is reportedly interested in being Obama’s running mate.
Clinton is reportedly interested in being Obama’s running mate.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton herself directly raised the issue of serving as Barack Obama's running mate in a conference call with New York lawmakers earlier Tuesday, a source who was on the call tells CNN's Candy Crowley.

According to the source, Clinton told those on the call that if asked by Obama, she would be interested in serving as his running mate. That comment was not in response to a particular question.

The Clinton campaign maintains the New York senator merely said she would do whatever is in the party's best interest, and that her comments Tuesday are no different than what she has been saying for weeks.

The source also said all the lawmakers on the call thought that Clinton needed to be on the ticket.

Rep. Nydia Velazquez, one of the call's participants, told CNN that she expressed on the call that Clinton needed to be on the ticket in order for Latino voters to cast ballots for Barack Obama.

"I expressed to her how the Latino community felt so strongly about her leadership and how she became a champion for Latinos, in fact a Latino leader in the eyes of so many Latinos," Velazquez said.

"I said to her at that I felt and I hear from many Latinos that there is a problem regarding Obama connecting to them and talking to them and I mentioned that also the same is true with blue collar workers and the women sector and so I say if we really want to win we need to have a ticket that can bring people together that can unify the party," she also said.

The representatives on the call included Reps. Charlie Rangel, Joseph Crowley, Steve Israel, Nydia Velazquez, Nita Lowey, Gregory Meeks, Eliot Engel, Jose Serrano, and Brian Higgins.

1. oregonrose

Bye-Bye Hillary LOVERS!!!!!

June 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Yolanda

Hillary Clinton does NOT need to be VP. She has created such a divide in the party. She should not have commented at all about being VP. How can Obama preach change if he has Hillary Clinton as his running mate?

June 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. Scott

I can see Hillary saying the reason why Sen. Obama won because I was his running mate. so let Obama make his own choice on who to trust as VP. She got too much baggage.

Obama....08

June 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Peter E

And so the truth comes to light: Obama supporters would rather vote for McCain than have Hillary on the ticket. They don't care about their own candidate's message of 'positive change of hope and unity.' All they care about is to destroy a scapegoat because they can't face the fact that their own party sat around and did nothing for them for decades!
    And yet they continue to label Hillary's supporters as 'traitors' when they'd rather vote for McCain... Hypocrites!

June 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Oh Good Grief

Goodness! Did she offer him the VP position again??

June 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. JoAnn Pa.

Those of you that are saying you will vote for McCain if Hillary isn't on the Presidental ballot, think about what you are doing to the Democratic party..do you REALLY want another four yrs. of the mess this country is in? You are not helping your children or grandchildren by keeping Republicans in the white house. Heaven help us.

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. oregonrose

Obama 08
    YEAH!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Karl Ami

I hope Obama will not what to take this family around him at the White house. We don't want any other people from Bush adn Clinton dynasty

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. Silence Dogood

As several alert readers pointed out, the editors mis-spoke in the article: "Clinton ...raised the issue of serving as Clinton's running mate ".

For the male editors, this is just funny. No big deal.

But any editors that are women are, according to the Obama campaign policies, liars and monsters, and "too strong". Unless you like being called "sweetie", then it is OK.

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. shirley

It appears Hillary will hold the DNC hostage by not dropping out of a race that Senator Obama won fairly, she intends to try to blackmail the Party for the Vice Presidental job. Do not let her get away with this nasty last minute ditch for power.

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. Eric

For all of you saying vote Mccain, hope you can afford 3 trillion after 5-100 more years for the iraq war, not to mention $10 gas and food cost out of the roof. If so please vote McCain, but I am not rich and cannot afford to keep the same policies we have today. Before you know it I will be in foreclosure when i was living comfortable before republicans took office.

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  12. Big D

Can't we let Obama have at least one day to celebrate his hard-earned victory? Let him decide himself, at his own timeframe, who he wants as his running mate. There's no hurry, so stop rushing him and pushing Hillary. Let's celebrate Obama's victory tonight!

June 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  13. boomer babe for Obama

The vice-presidency is a heartbeat away from the presidency. Who in their right mind would want their heartbeat standing between Hillary Clinton and the White House?

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. AZ Voter

I think Americans as a whole are stupid. We let the media sway us instead of understanding what's real. I believe that putting the snake Hillary as VP is a mistake. It'll definitely hurt Obama. Furthermore, this bullcrap about inexperience, WHAT??? Look at the C student we had in office for the last 8 years, if that's experience then no thank you.

OBAMA '08 all the way

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. LC7196

HRC has too much baggage to be VP. I hope Obama finds a nice way to tell her to go back to NY.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. Mark

B-NYC – I beg to differ, once the Hillary supporters who are TRUE DEMOCRATS see the differences between McCain and Obama, they will choose Obama almost 95% of the time...

The other 5% are not voting on Policies, but only voting on Gender or color of skin.

Thats a fact.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. SLO Bear

The notion that she deserves it after her ethics-free and sometimes dangerous (e.g. Kennedy June comment) is ridiculous.

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

NO HILLARY ON THE TICKET.....

June 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  19. uchujin

Nany-

If I really wanted to learn how to orate in motivate people and get to know and understand the culture of my ethnic origin but wasn't ever exposed to.......I think I'd sit in that church for 20 years too. Oh, and by the way...I'm caucasian.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. Anthony

How about THE real dream ticket, Barack Obama and Gen. Colin Powell?

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. Ladie Dove

I'm a lifelong Democrat and I will not vote for Obama if he is the nominee - UNLESS Senator Clinton is on the ticket. If she's not, I can't bring myself to vote for McCain, but I will vote for her - even if I have to write-in her name on the ballot. I am encouraging others who feel like I do to do the same.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  22. LoisStrother

PLEASE, PLEASE Obama, DO NOT choose Hillary for your V.P. running mate!!!!! The country has had enough of her! And of course, you would be getting "good ol Bill too! I support you, but would have to have second thoughts if you should ask her to be the V.P. canidate. I truly believe this would be a big mistake and would insure a Republican win in November!

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  23. Emster

Oh enough Hillary coverage already! Hillary this and Hillary that! What about Obama and his victory news? Let's focus on one thing at a time. And right now, the big news is Obama is about to become the Democratic nominee for president. Tonight, I only want to hear about Obama and his finally clinching the nomination. Yes!

June 3, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. Scott

Right, responsible Americans we will not vote for Obama.

They will vote for the most qualified and moderate candidate on the ballot…

Like Bush for 8 years