June 3rd, 2008

Rep. Waters switches to Obama

Rep. Maxine Waters supporting Obama.
Rep. Maxine Waters supporting Obama.

(CNN) - California Rep. Maxine Waters, a longtime supporter of Hillary Clinton, said Tuesday she is switching her support to Barack Obama.

“Senator Hillary Clinton has run a superb campaign and has proven to be a hard worker while gaining the support of many key constituencies that will be essential for Democratic success in November," she said in a statement. “Despite that, Senator Obama’s delegate numbers more than describe the enthusiasm for his candidacy and I believe that by the end of the day, he will have the necessary numbers to become the Democratic Party nominee for President."

“It is now time to close ranks and time for all remaining delegates to put their support behind the presumptive nominee, Senator Obama. Senator Obama has run an effective campaign and has overcome many obstacles to create an energy that has brought many new Democrats into the party," Waters also said. "Together, both of these candidates have generated an unprecedented involvement in Democratic Party politics. This is something that all Democrats can be proud of."

Speaking to CNN in early February, Waters said she endorsed Clinton over Obama because "It’s clear there are two different campaigns, one is about hope and inspiration and the other is a campaign about concrete proposals and solving problems - and I think Senator Clinton's experience emerged very clearly."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. gary hamilton

thank you america for changing a black man

June 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. Pat M

The moderators seem intent in just posting what they feel is beneficial fodder. Hence, my comments never make it through.
    So much for Free Speech.

June 3, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. Justice

Cold hard truth...
    "I'm a political analist...clintins supporters..."

HAHAHAHAHA... are you on drugs? It's ANALYST... & CLINTON!

You can't even spell, much less offer analysis.

Seriously tho, congratulations to Obama and his supporters.

However, do not expect Hillary and her supporters to go away, or vote for Obama in November.

June 3, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  4. Kevin from NC

What a loser!!!!!!!!!!!! She will lose her day time job for backing Billary........................................

June 3, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. Pat M

And this statement is supposed explain why what has been described as a Long Time Hillary Supporter giving her the shove and jumping on the back of the winner! I thought Mutiny only took place during the time when Pirates sailed the stormy seas!

June 3, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. Yeah Right

You didn't support him when he needed you most.
    Obama don't need hillary to win in november and shouldn't be forced to take her as his VP.

No more Clintons in the white house less she backstabs him later down the line.

June 3, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  7. Thompson

Grow up Clinton supporters, I hope you're not raising your kids to act like this. He won so get over it.

June 3, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. j

she is soooooooooooo phony! She SHOULD HAVE supported him all along! I am glad that the democratic party can begin healing and join together to ensure that OBAMA- can put the democrats back in the white house. AMERICA will be better and more respected than we have in the past 8 years under bush. YES WE CAN!

June 3, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  9. Evelyn Peters

I have followed this race very closely, and at this point I realize that the people are not loyal, and yes we are all looking for change. But I am a Hillary Clinton fan always appreciated her topics, and issues were on point with my concerns, and she didn't waver about how she would deal with the issues at hand. If the super delegates can choose who the nominee is, then I don't see the point of voting at all, and I probably
    will not vote again. I am a black voter and haven't seen or heard anything that would make me vote for him. It seems pointless to vote at all and that's just my take on it, if superdelegates get to choose over all the millions of voters who choose Mrs.Clinton as their next president then it is evident that we the voters just don't count.

June 3, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  10. Re: Cold hard truth

Oh my...there's no way on this earth you are an analyst of anything....especially of spelling! Your reply does not only not make sense, I had to get out the hooked-on-phonics to read the mess!

At the 11th hour, Winters did what was best for HER, not for her country. How can you trust the supers at this point?

June 3, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. Shirley Q

In the end, what would we expect she would do???

June 3, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. john williams san diego, ca.

why am i moderated for calling Maxine clueless ??...that has always been apparent.

June 3, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  13. Jim

Fred, I agree with you whole-heartly! I'm a White man and I support Barack Obama. This world needs a change. Switching your votes to the Republicans will only come back to hurt you and your families.

June 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  14. martin

next time dont be so hasty.

June 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  15. Pistoff

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  16. Michael

John from LA >

Are you serious? Come on, if Richie Daley was behind this, He would have been President a long time ago.
    This is indicitive of the ignorant rants of a group of people who are just plain angry that their beloved candidate is NOT going to win. Throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old, because mommy told you to go to bed!

Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama hold the same views, by her own account, 98% of the time. So you mean to tell me that if she asks all of you to support Obama, you will not? That means one of two things:

1) You didn't really trust her in the first place, and just went on Name recognition only.

2)You are not true, blue Democarats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. Barry

Sen. Waters should be Sen. Obama's VP! I'm for it! Sen. Hillary & Pres. Clinton have made fools of themselves! Sen. Hillary should concede.

June 3, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  18. caron

I hate to say it but I think you Hillary supporters are just saying irrational things - or is it really Repubs in disguise. Please tell me why you have such hatred, other than race, against Obama. From what I've seen, Barack has tried his very best to not belittle Hillary or her supporters. In fact, Hillary was the one who was the cause of such anger by her actions and words.

I could understand if it was the repubs acting as if the sky is falling -
    The way you're acting is like it's your way(candidate) or the highway. C'mon, grow up people!!!

June 3, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  19. Telisab

Hillary is so polarizing and evil that she even polarizes her own supporters. I cannot believe that I ever wanted to vote for her.

June 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |