June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday.
Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Dick in Sioux Falls

Experience? Both Abraham Lincoln and Bobbie Kennedy had less elective experience than Barack Obama when they ran for the Presidency.
    John McCain's experience in the service evokes our gratitude for his service. However, there is little involved in being a pilot, or a Prisoner of War that in themselves, prepare you to be President of the United States. Nor does simply being a Senator somehow prepare you to be President.
    For me, Obama's judgment in speaking out against going to war with Iraq, at a time when the patriotism flame burned high in this country, was a risk because at the time he spoke out against the war, people were inclined to support what appeared to be the patriotic support of our troops. It took courage, wisdom, and judgment which resonates with me as I think about having a President with that kind of independent wisdom.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Mike

Why is CNN not updating Delegate counter

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Gerri

Congratulations and may God Bless you and your family.

We are proud to have you and your family as America's First Family! You have a beautiful and wonderful family. So, Welcome to the White House and do bring a dog for the girls:-)

What a Joyous Day that Will Be!!

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Amber

If its so humbling....why is he still so arrogant??????

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Joey

I won't be surprised to wake up one day and find out that the Clintons had Obama killed. Honestley, I'm black. And I can't imagine any white person following behind me.

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. You just won't quit with the remarks

I don't think I speak for myself only when I say I will never cast a vote for Obama. I cannot believe his supporters are still being nasty and smart mouthed toward Hillary. Obama was "put in" by the DNC heavies and the media. It had nothing to do with any skills on his part. All of us Hillary supporters have to swallow the fact that Hillary lost because of the abandonment of her party, and not to mention race. How could anyone Hillary supporter unit with him when his supporters will not even to this day shut their mouths. I will either write in Hillary's name, or stay home, or might even cast a vote for McCain. You will not hold us hostage with threats of what will happen if we vote for McCain because there is more of a threat if we vote for Obama. He knows nothing and is a shady person who cannot be trusted. How could the DNC shove her aside. I hope they go down the toilet. I will not and do not believe for a moment that Hillary supporters will go his way or rub elbows with him – CNN you cannot manipulate us that way. It is sad when the DNC and media pick the choice for President and not the people. Stop playing your mind games, you won ok. But now WE have the power to stop him in November – GO FOR IT HILLARY SUPPORTERS.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. Peter

"his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat."

Why is that fear monger, warmonger and narcissist Hillary still a "rival", CNN? You just can't let go of your favorite candidate? If you keep up this antique, your rating will slip big time...I wouldn't be surprised if good number of your viewers hadn't already switched to MSNBC. I used to be a loyal CNN viewer. But after seeing John Roberts, John king, Wolf Blitzer and Gloria Borger and other Clinton trolls pandering to Hillary, my viewing habits had completely changed. I find myself going to MSNBC a lot these days. The only thing that brings me to CNN is CNN.com.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. L Dunn

All the way to the White House!

President Obama, Congratulations!

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Democrat 4 EVER

Sprit of America...........Was/is one of those persons who knocked barriers Rev. Jeremiah Wright ....No Jon Hagee

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. jimmy velman

DONT COUNT MCCAIN OUT.. REPUBLICANS HAVE MORE MONEY
    AND CLOUT THAN YOU THINK. ISRAEL LOBBY IS A POWER TO BE RECKONED WITH. AND jIMMY CARTER'S HAMAS CONTACT AND OBAMA'S IRAN STANCE ARE BIG STUBLING BLOCKS FOR OBAMA.
    ADD THOSE WITH OBAMA DENYING HILLARY THE VP SPOT AFTER HILLARY DECLARED HER WILLINGNESS TO BE NUMBER TWO AS VP TO OBAMA.....IS LIKE A BIG SLAP ON THE FACE ON HILLARY
    FROM OBAMA. . THAT WILL REVERERATE TO THE MILLIONS OF AMERICANS , 18 MILLION OF THEM WHO SUPPORTED HILLARY CLINTON. THINK ABOUT THAT OBAMA SUPPORTERS...WHO MAYBE SO ARROGANT AS TO THINK OBAMA CAN WIN WITHOUT HILLARY CLINTON ON OBAMA'S SIDE.

June 4, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. oldoregon

Congratulations, Senator. You ran a perfect campaign and built a hope and excitement for the future in this country that has not been seen in decades. WE NEED YOU and we are lucky that you are willing to serve.

GO OBAMA!

June 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  12. Ted (NC)

He'll say anything to get elected.

June 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. Scott

Congratulation president Obama!We've done it. We did it. I will keep on working on your team until you get in the white house..

June 4, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. OBAMA/Richardson

Obama is a wonderful man! Anybody who has an open mind, who is spiritually aware knows he is our calling to be President of the United States. Richardson is also another calling who should be the Vice President! There is no way Hillary should be on the ticket. All Clinton supporters are just mad now but time will heal and they will change their minds and help strengthen the popular vote again against McCain. If you choose to switch sides CLINTON supporters it shows what ignorance you are. We are winning whether it was hillary or is OBAMA. The democratic race cannot divide. Grow up and stand by OBAMA!!

OBAMA/Richardson- 2008!!

June 4, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. ces

I have yet to see obama salute our flag or pleage allegeince to our flag,untill i see it i will be for mccain

June 4, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. NoMcSame

The door has been kicked in for all Americans to reach the top. What a Great Place to live.
    Obama08

June 4, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Samuel

Way to go, Mr. President Obama. I salute you and I say "AYEKOO" (meaning: weldone). I am a Ghanaian and I am very proud of all American today. You have proven that colour is nothing but identity. Just loving this nonination. Now do the right thing and pick Hilary as your running mate.

She is what I call SANTROFII ANOMAA. (Meaning: You cannot put her on your ticket and as well you can't afford not to put her on your ticket).

Remember to listen to your instincts though. It's your call, you make it, very wisely.

Full speed to the White House.
    Obama 08.