June 4th, 2008

Pelosi: Obama is the nominee

Pelosi said the race is over.
Pelosi said the race is over.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that the Democratic presidential race is over, and it's time to rally around the party's nominee.

"Running for President is not for the faint of heart. This is very difficult, and people have to unwind from it in their own time, but I think the message was clear last night. The people have spoken, the elections are over for the nomination. Barack Obama is the nominee of the Democratic party," Pelosi said.

The California congresswoman, who remained neutral throughout the primary season, said Senator Hillary Clinton should be able to take some time before formally conceding - but stressed the party's need to shift its focus to the general election.

Asked about a Friday deadline she and other party leaders set for uncommitted superdelegates, Pelosi said it's time for those undeclared party officials to get behind Obama: "Now it's time to rally around that person and attribute to him all that goes with being - carrying the banner of the Democratic party and all the dignities that go with it."

Pelosi praised Senator Clinton as a female trailblazer. "The campaign of Senator Clinton is one that will down in the history books as a great one for our country, breaking what I call the marble ceiling, what they call the glass ceiling. Glass is easy compared to the ceiling that she broke, couldn't be prouder of her."

She also said that Democrats on the Hill would start talks with the Obama campaign about coordinating political activities. She touted the three recent Democratic victories in three special House elections, adding "We now look to join with the nominee of the party for President to work together to bring that same success in November and elect a Democratic president of the United States, stronger majorities in the House and Senate, and Governorships and statehouses across the country."

Pelosi, who has repeatedly been skeptical that the two top Democratic presidential candidates would share a ticket this fall, declined to weigh in on Clinton's apparent willingness to serve as Obama's vice president, saying that the choice of running mate fell to the Illinois senator alone. "That is the decision of the nominee of the party. It has always been and it is in this case as well."

1. JJ

Are people really serious??? Give it up and face the fact that Hillary lost already!!!!! This write in nonsense and threatning to vote for McCain is just IDIOTIC! How you can say you are a true democrat but make a threat to vote for McCain.

It's time we all unite around Obama (like it or not) and let the Dems win this thing in Nov for heaven's sake.

June 4, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Deanna

Hillary Clinton has worked her heart out for the last 16 months campaigning but her true commitment to Public Service started decades ago.
    She doesn't owe the DNC and leadership a single thing and the way they have treated her she should turn her back on them.
    I hope she will not accept the VP , if offered .
    Let Obama run on his paper thin resume , his lack of knowledge and judgement , make him finally answer the tough questions and give some specifics.
    So far it has been a lot of empty talk , sermon like speeches without substance.
    You have lowered the bar once again , to qualify for the Presidency.

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. andy k

No candidate is required to concede right away. I think she deserves some time for reflection and advice from her family and closest advisors. Plus, today is her mother's 89th birthday. Is she not allowed to enjoy that?

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. CHERIAN THOMAS

If Hillary is not on the ticket Obama will lose the election.

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. HiFi

Charlene, have you heard about the boom on Mizar-5? That's the planet in the parallel universe where Hillary won. On THIS planet, if you write in HRC, you might as well write in "Overturn Roe v. Wade". No write in or independent candidate has ever won, nor ever will.

And I voted for John Anderson.

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Daniel FL

Thank you Nancy Pelosi: a true democrat! Hillary's speech last night was the final nail in the coffin for me. She has never had any interest in uniting the party or the country. She is only out for HERSELF, and her supporters are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. It really is a shame.

What is most astonishing to me is that Hillary has actually convinced people that she is leadingin the popular vote, when that is just not true!! It's incredibly deceiving at best, and outright lying at worst! You people do know that her "popular vote lead" does not include the caucus states, or even the state of Washignton, which held a caucus AND a primary! BOTH of which Obama won handily.

Hillary needs to GO HOME. She had a chance to be a hero last night. She had a chance to go down in the history books as a strong, courageous woman who stood by her party and her country and exhibited grace and strength by putting her country's interest above her own. She failed.........miserably.

This is Obama's party now, and he had BETTER not be bullied into giving her ANYTHING or we are going to have a real problem.

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. jimmy velman

HILLARY CLINTION RUNNING AS AN INDEPENDENT WOULD BE A WELCOME MOVE AND A HUGE BOOST FOR HER 18 MILLION SUPPORTERS... WE ARE READY FOR IT AND WILL DOUBLE OUR SUPPORT AND CONTRIBUTIONS FOR HER.

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. "THE TRUTH"

Wow....!!

Hillary really lost........!!

This is the biggest historical benchmark in American history.....!!

I cried tears of joy with emotional disbelief for an entire day....!!

I wish Martin Luther King was here to see this day....!!

GO ...... OBAMA.....!!

June 4, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Col

I am awed by your wisdom, fortitude and courage – to know your beliefs, support them with brilliant, studied facts and to stand firm against political nonsense is the type of leader any country needs and particularly ours. I trust your decision-making and direction and I have lost trust of Obama after I learned more about him. "Show me who your friends are and I'll show you who you are" – he has courted people who belong in no-one's circle of friends – let alone the president's circle. Planned encounters and speeches – tell me how well one performs as an actor – history of behavior tells me how one performs/manifests as a person. Hillary you demonstrate a person of extraordinary intelligence, character and courage. Without you in the White House – I must vote for McCain – his policies will hinder my finances but I trust him – I do not trust Obama.
    I implore you to seek the White House as President, VP or in 2012. Love and hugs – Colleen McCloskey

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Marc

I hope Hillary goes her own way and does NOT help Mr. Obama in his campaign. He will lose the general election in November to McCain.

the Democrats are a mess. They made this a sexist, racial campaign. People, the media harped on Hillary to the very end.

Are you all happy now?

I will never vote for Obama. he can choose who ever he wants....it will make no difference now.

Reid, Pelosi, Edwards, Richardson, Carter, the kennedys, Byrd, McGovern, Dean...are all a joke.

I will be voting for McCain and will be making my T shirt. Hil Dems for McCain.

I never voted Republican, but there is always a first time.

At least McCain and the Republicans recognize "experience". Dems cannot!

Losers.

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. j kothary, Blaine, WA

Hillary has demonstrated that mentally she is VERY slow...so
    give her time to realise the truth.

She wants to destroy Obama so she can try again 2012.

She is not for the Democratic Party but for herself....

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. Brian

I'm saying it first. clinton will run as a independant. McCain will win and Clinton will go for the white house again in 2013. Pointing her finger at 2008 and the fact Obama couldn't win. But it will be her fault he didn't win. Just sayin ya'll.

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. Mike

Sad day for all people in general and especially true democrats that Obama is the nominee.

He is Bush all over again.

I am leaving the party to become independent.

I guess I will be voting for McCain now.

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. jennyforobama

Pelosi is absolutely right. Hillary needs to concede and accept defeat....it's hard, I know but she needs to do it quick for the unity of the party. Anybody who thinks she can run as an independent, doesn't know squat about politics. I don't think Hillary as VP is a very good idea but she certainly deserves a high ranking position such as majority senate leader.

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. jimmy velman

OBAMA'S VP SEARCH TEAM IS AN OUTRIGHT SLAP ON THE FACE
    ON HILLARY BY OBAMA.

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Dan in Sacramento, CA

Jimbo,

well said. Sometimes sarcasm is the best way to point out irrationality.

Hillary or Death!

June 4, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. jr

I'll bet she lied awake all night just salivating as visions of sugar plums danced through her head. Get over it Nancy, you and Harry Reid have done nothing but flap your jaws. I don't think that either of you will be getting a Christmas card from the Clinton's again.

June 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. demwit

Doesn't Congress have work to do? I mean, are we going to have to wait until Christmas to get a budget this year, literally??

June 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. La Bruja

So tells us, Pelosi, what exactly happened to the "will of the people?"
    Hypocrite!

One more Hillary supporter for McCain.

June 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  20. Seth

A write-in for Clinton is a vote for McCain. Nobody, especially those concerned with women's rights, would touch McCain with a 10-foot pole.

June 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Gloria

Hillary Clinton is not due any ENTITLEMENT. She ran a good race, but she lost! She needs to impart some controls. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. Do the Clintons think they are any better than the other candidates? She is not the only one who lost the bid for the White House. How many times must the Clintons take ownership of the White House? Give me a break. It is not about Senator Clinton or former President Clinton, its about this country that we love.

June 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. Joyce in Florida

Hillary will not admit her defeat because she is a fighter and as far as I am concerned, she really hasn't been defeated. If Pelosi so wants the super delegates to make up their mind by Friday, what is her stance right now? With regards to California, Pelosi should endorse Hillary Clinton especially if Hillary won the district that Pelosi carries. I wonder what Pelosi's decision will be? Come on Speaker Pelosi, give us your answer. What are you waiting for? HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY TO DENVER. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. Charlotte

June 4th, 2008 2:52 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    What does Caroline Kennedy know about what the people of America want? She has stayed out of politics and the public eye until now? Was she already asked to be VP? That would explain her sudden attraction to politics. It would also explain Ted Kennedys endorsement over the wishes of the voters in his state. Obama is the presumitive nominee. Until the conventions, no one including McCain, are the nominees. the convention is when the actual votes will be given, until then anything can happen. I will wait until the convention to see the actual results. Out of three possible scenarios on popular votes, Obama is ahead in only one. He is not my nominee. If he is the actual nominee in August and that seems likely, I will at that time know how I will vote in November. I suspect I will have to vote for Hillary, by write-in

June 4, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. Al, Seattle

The Hillary Clinton mentality is just the type of administration that would occupy the white house if a democrat should win (which they won't). Won't budge an inch, can't say no when she needs to, and can't be truthful to save her life. Right from the beginning, she was running and hanging on to the Clinton coattails. She was betting on the popularity of the Clinton name and lost. She can thank her husband for that.

June 4, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |