June 4th, 2008

Rangel criticizes Clinton over non-concession speech

Rangel criticized Clinton's non-concession speech Wednesday.
Rangel criticized Clinton's non-concession speech Wednesday.

(CNN) - Prominent Hillary Clinton backer Charles Rangel thinks the New York senator could have been "far more generous" during her speech Tuesday night after it was clear Barack Obama had clinched the Democratic nomination.

Rangel, the senior member of the New York congressional delegation and an early supporter of Clinton’s presidential campaign, said in an interview Wednesday Clinton should have been more clear about what her future plans are.

"I would agree that after the math was in before her speech, that she could have been far more generous in terms of being more specific and saying that she wants a Democratic victory," Rangel said in an interview on MSNBC.

"I don't see what they're talking about in prolonging this," Rangel added. "There's nothing to prolong if you're not going to take the fight to the convention floor…I don't know why she could not have been more open in terms of doing up front what she intends to do later."

Rangel also said the entire New York congressional delegation is awaiting guidance from Clinton on what to do, and could be put "on the spot" if the New York senator does not explain herself soon.

"We could be on the spot if we don't get some answers about what does it mean when you say that you are not endorsing - or what does it mean when you say that you haven't - you're not out of the race. It just doesn't make any sense. It's inconsistent with wanting a Democratic victory and not endorsing the Democratic candidate."

1. Steve

Boy is this true. Rangel is just talking common sense, what it the point in not endorsing, then at the same time saying that you are willing to do whatever is necessary for the Democratic party to be successful. I think that Hillary is just stunned and does not know really what she is doing now.

June 4, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. M cClintons

Hillary is an absolute disgrace to America her actions speak words everything to her is ,me, me ,me me,me. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Hillary has no morals / manners .
    If it isnt old politics or hate Hillary won't be present .
    Need her on the ticket as much as need another hole in our heads.
    Its Republicans and hallow minded like Lanny Davis that pushes this crap .Go Away Lanny Davis we dont needyou or B.S.speaking of slime.
    Its NO to Hill. liar for VP or a no vote

June 4, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. DenverGirl

We want to be DONE with Hillary already! She has been so pathetic and SO stubborn, she will not even admit defeat when it's obvious! Hillary should not be given the VP position, that should belong to someone that OBAMA picks. The VP position is not a consession prize for the runner up. NO MORE HILLARY!

June 4, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Alexandra

Dear Hillary,
    I was one of your strongest supporters and was disappointed when you lost.
    However, after i heard your divisive and narssisistic speech last night i have changed my mind. This is about us the voters not you and your ego.
    You have disappointed several women including me. You are dividing the party. If you cost us the election thi syear and subject us to 4 more years of Mc-Bush, we will NEVER forgive you or vote for you in 2012.
    Please step down so that we can win the presidency.
    Enough is enough.
    Disappointed former supporter
    Alexandra

June 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. Idaho Thoughts

I have to agree. They say sheis trying to "Force" his hand on the VP issue – but after Bill's outburst – claiming that Obama is behind the negative media coverage (which apparently a lot of her supporters believe as well) – Bill's claims that Obama put that priest up to smearing Hillary – how can Hillary possibly think he could consider her. Imagine the Republican Ads of just piecing together all the outrageous video when Hillary was in her "win at any cost" mode (And maybe she's still there) – Bragging up Jogn McCain and dismissing Barack as though he doesn't even belong in the race. Bad enough for Barack to face that with another VP candidate – Impossible with Hillary on the ticket. The ticket becomes a sideshow and a distraction with Hillary – I can't imagine any Democrat wants that – no matter how much they love Hillary.

June 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Josie WA

I think it was ok not to concede if she needed a day or so but one would think as a seasoned politician she would have been capable of doing so. The problem was that she gave a campaign speech, including a statement that she is the better canidate. She know very well this was damaging to the party and disrepectful to our nominee. She is abusing her followers by inviving them in this defiance rather than helping them to heal. She should not be VP. There are many options where she can do much to help our country in her own way. She is not a second place kind of woman.

June 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Floridian

She is trying to find a reason not to concede but she can't it's over and somebody needs to address that with her. She needs to be put on the spot and stop acting like Obama has not won the nomination. she is so much in denial that it's laughable. Go back to NY we don't want you as a VP either.

June 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Ralph

She's plotting and planning her next move. For now, she will drive the wedge deeper into the party to pressure Obama to make the biggest mistake possible.

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Yes we can!

This is nonsense.....her supporters, surrogates, endorsers and delegates urged her to keep fighting and now they all are screaming she should have conceded....dont get me wrong i agree, her speech was horrible and disrespectful to Obama, his historic moment, african americans and all his supporters....mccain as well....but you all should have not pushed her so much and encouraged her up to the last minute......if obama looses, it wont be because he's no electible, but that this party was so damaged and by her, bill and their entire campaign that she will be more blamed and it's possible their political career will be over....

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Jerome/ ATL

Cant everyone see that she needs help . She's politically spoilled and cant accept defeat . It 's ABOUT HER AND IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT HER AND HER LEGACY!

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Democrat First

One word: Desperation.

It's becoming worse than this independent thought: she is apparently willing to sacrifice the party for some amount of power.

Those who have been dissing her have been right all along! To me that speech is good reason NOT to offer her VP.

Our system is about compromise. The rules were established, the people spoke, and albeit closely, chose Obama. It's time to go after the Republicans. Should she dally much longer, real damage will be done.

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Professor

It just shows you how selfish she is

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Farah Ahmad

Hillary is acting like a sore loser. I once respected her but now when I see how blatantly ungracious she can be, it is no wonder Obama's charm is working wonders. I also agree with Carter – Obama won't fare well with her next to him.

June 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Emilio Zola

Charlie, someone told me that she will do whateve be necessary so McCcain wins. Why? She could aspire again in 4 more years and of course whe will find a very vulnerable 78 years old President, It's hard to believe that McCain has the right formula to correct the huge mistakes of the Bush Administration.. Period.

June 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. HomoSapien

Finally, even her most ardent supporters are realizing how selfish this act/speech was.

It's only her most deluded herd/flock of blind followers who can find hint of anything good in her speech. And all those people can do is scream hysterically at everyone who disagrees with Hillary.

Time to move on – away from the Clintons.

June 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. norman dorsen

I agree completely with Charlie Rangel

June 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. LB

Just another example of how she doesn't care about anyone elses situations only herself. Divided she stands.

June 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. NYC

First time I've agreed with Ole Charlie.

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Kevin

"I don't know why she could not have been more open in terms of doing up front what she intends to do later."

I believe it has been said over and over again that history repeats itself. When Hillary Clinton first ran for Senate everyone knew that it was just a stepping stone to running for president in 2008. She would never admit it then. Why, you ask? Because Hillary Clinton cares not about those who elected her Senator or those her supported her for the presidency of the United States: she cares only for Hillary Clinton.

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. Clinton Supporter

As I listened last night I kept waiting for Hillary to be gracious and say something to push towards unity and I'm still waiting. I have always loved the Clintons and hope she gets on the ticket. However I understand if it doesn't happen and why it may not work, but to vote Republican and vote for 4 more years of war and all the other Bush strategies that McCain has.....thats just stupid.
    I have a hard time with Clinton supporters voting for McCain, I keep hearing it and it makes no sense. First, he's a republican, 2nd he stands for everything against what Hillary wanted. Obama wasn't my first choice, but he has the same goals as Hillary. Let's stick together people, if you want McCain you must have been a republican to begin with.

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. Dean in Florida

Don't blame Hillary. She is only doing what comes naturally to a Clinton. She is unwilling to see the truth and unable to speak it.

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Kathleen

Hillary showed her true colors last night. Ed, maybe she'll come around
    when you endorse Senator Obama.

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Susan

She just needed time to adjust to losing.

They are both good candidates & hopefully will join together.

Obama/Clinton

June 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Ted R. from NYC

I rarely agree with Mr. Rangel, but he's absolutely correct here. What can Hillary possible gain by prolonging the inevitable? Doesn't she realize that the longer she unnecessarily drags this out, the worse it will be for her party?

June 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. The Truth

Thank You Charlie. She is trying to hold Americans Hostage. Something you cannot do nor honor.

June 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |