June 4th, 2008

White House congratulates Obama on victory

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The White House has congratulated Sen. Barack Obama on clinching the Democratic nomination for president, spokeswoman Dana Perino said Wednesday.

His victory - which sets him up to become the first African-American to lead a major party ticket in the race for the White House - shows how far America has come, Perino said.

She said President Bush, a Republican, did not plan to call Obama to congratulate him personally.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. cyndy

It doesn't matter if he is a republican or not. This is history. A major accomplishment for an african american. Bush should acknowledge something so important.

June 4, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. marylee w atlanta,ga

WOW OLE "W" BEAT HILLARY TO DO THE RIGHT THING

HILLARY IS DELUSIONAL

June 4, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. mariann

Clinton and Bush won't congratulate Obama on his Democratic Nomination, Clinton/Bush 08.

June 4, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. R in NJ

History is being made and the President has an ego problem?

June 4, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. Monica for Obama in Indiana

WHO CARES?

June 4, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. WhoIsGoingToListenToThisIdiot

Obama does not need a call from Bush.

June 4, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Chad, Wisco

Bush calling Obama would be like Joe Torre having called the Red Sox after they won the series, come on CNN report real news.

June 4, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. MD

They have more sense and etiquette than Hillary Clinton. Hillary should be ashamed of herself.

June 4, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Larz

Obama has NOT dissed him,!But THE WHOLE COUNTRY,THE WHOLE WORLD HAVE DISSED GEORGE BUSH!!!!!!HE IS THE MOST HATEFUL PRESIDENT EVER IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OBAMA DOES NOT NEED TO HEAR FROM BUSH!!NOT EVEN MCCAIN WANTS TO BE NEAR BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. TGO

I guess that tell us what kind of politician Bush is.....

No professionalsim, whatsoever...

June 4, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Bill

Save your dime for the movers, George......

June 4, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. Anna

On one hand, I wouldn't expect a Republican to congratulate Obama, but on the other hand, I do think the President of the United States (regardless of party affiliation) should make a special point to congratulate Obama on this historical accomplishment.

June 4, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Kenneth M

THANKS BUSH, AND DONT FORGET TO LEAVE THE BROOM AND DUST PAN AS YOU EXIT. I AM SURE THEY WILL COME IN HANDY.

June 4, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. H in NJ

Take your meds, Rachel.

June 4, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. What if?

RE: President Bush, a Republican, did not plan to call Obama to congratulate him personally.

We are not surprise, he is the OLD POLITICS, he is about me and mine, and does not understand and except positive change.

WHITE HOUSE IN USA ......Congratulates you MR. PRESIDENT!!!

June 4, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. alvin|

dude, This is The United States Of where ??? of course ooooOOOF THE WHOLE AMERICA : and as I heard Bush congratulates Obama on clinching the Democratic presidential nomination

June 4, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. Rod

Who cares !

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. INDEPENDENT

If mickey mouse becomes president it couldnt be too soon. Start packing!

June 4, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. wwf

Talk about a scripted speech by John McCain. One of the worst speeches I have heard. No one claped until he would stop and smile. Almost as if the applause was on que. McCain has that little giggle? just like Bush. Guess they are more a like than McCain figures. McCain should count his lucky stars that speeches are not the final say in winning an election. However, they do set the tone and are what the public reacts to. McCain might want to think twice about debating Obama.

June 4, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

If Pres. Bush does not call Sen. Obama, then he's not really offering congratulations now is he. Bush's press office has offered congratualtions, but not Mr. Bush himself.

June 4, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Jan

Bush is a better person than Obama–he has never said a bad word about Obama-yet Obama has diced Bush at every turn. We should not be surprised as Obama throws everyone under the bus, including his Mom and Grandma–Why not the President? At least Bush is proud of his country which is more than I can say for Obama and the angry, unpatriotic Michelle. She did appear to be "proud" of her husband last eve. Does that mean she is finally proud of her country?

June 4, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. PCS / North Carolina

rachel wrote June 4th, 2008 10:14 am ET

"Don't expect bush would call Obama the way Obama has dissed him."

70% of the country has dissed GW Bush. The worst in the history of U.S Presidency ( even worse than Nixon !! ). So, do not blame Obama for the egregious mistakes of GWB presidency.

June 4, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Anonymous

It's understandable Bush can't be too excited about Obama succeeding him...

June 4, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. Danielle for Obama

As An African-American teacher, I can truly look my children in the eyes and say they can be anything they want to be! No matter what color, nationlaity, or gender. My father, a product of the civil rights movement, cried last night.

He never thought he would live to see the day. I just want to the nation to take minute and revel in the history. We go straight to the negative.
    Look how far our country has come. Barack could not have done this without the support of all nationalities! Blacks are a minority in this country.

Yes...when I said the pledge of alligence today at the start of school, I had a whole new perception about the nation. It taught me that not all "whites" are the same, and they showed me that the "color" issue is slowly diminishing.

My children (98% white school district) were elated, and told me to order new history books for next year.

I was disappointed in Hillary and her speech. If overshadowed an issue much bigger than her. HISTORY!!! If he picks her as VP or not does not matter, he get's my vote for turning the page, and changing my mind about race in America.

Democrats let's put this behind us and look at what he has acomplished, that what makes America , America, we can disagree on some things, let's keep it civil and enjoy this day!

I Cannot believe bush would not call, not even on the history tip!

Obama '08 but most importantly
    History despite it's wrenching pain, can be overcome '08

June 4, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. Janet from Ohio

Bush is old news, who cares what he thinks? He needs to start packing and shuffle back to where he came.

June 4, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |