June 4th, 2008

White House congratulates Obama on victory

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The White House has congratulated Sen. Barack Obama on clinching the Democratic nomination for president, spokeswoman Dana Perino said Wednesday.

His victory - which sets him up to become the first African-American to lead a major party ticket in the race for the White House - shows how far America has come, Perino said.

She said President Bush, a Republican, did not plan to call Obama to congratulate him personally.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Nuge

rachel, with a 28% approval rating, Mr. Obama is not alone in dissing this president.

I'm sure he hasn't given Bush's lack of a phonecall one second of thought.

June 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  2. JL

Don't think Obama wants Bush to call him.

June 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  3. Tanya

LMAO...Well isnt' this something

June 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. ANGIE

we dont want bush to call obama he doesnt need his support!!!

June 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. Brandon

Stunning that the White House can acknowledge the historic significance of Obama's win, but fellow democrat Hillary Clinton continues to pretend it didn't happen.

June 4, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Darren M.

Bush should worry more about getting enough boxes to pack his stuff.

June 4, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. a.b.

I don't blame president Bush for not calling Obama. Obama is an idiot. I don't like Obama, Clinton and even McCain. McCain has not had to work for this election and he has gotten a free ride. He is not conservative enough to be a republican candidate. His vice president is going to have to win it for him and he better choose the right one.
    History will remember President George W Bush. Not these flakes like Obama, Clinton and McCain. Also I think that governors make better presidents than senators do. Governors have more experience than these slick senators.

June 4, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. Barack Uda

Like it would be an honor??? Bush???

June 4, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. NICHOLAS

thats alright cause come next year January but there will be no more Bush in the white house.................he could keep his congratulatory remarks cause whether Bush likes it or not he is done.......

NB// BUSH IS NOW THE WORST MODERN DAY PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!

AMERICAN BEHOLD..............A NEW DAY HAS INDEED COME TO AMERICA

OBAMA 08

June 4, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. daniel76er

You actually think Obama is waiting around for Bush's congratulatory call?....Would the stubborn man actually do it knowing he should?

June 4, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  11. dy

Bob Johnson can kiss where the sun doesn't shine he's a loser just like his team!!!

June 4, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  12. Ryan

I'm not sure I would want that call from George Bush anyway.

June 4, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  13. CNN loves Hillary

Wow, even the White House is more gracious than Senator Clinton.

June 4, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  14. NORA, FLORIDA

Rachel,

I am sure that Obama is not waiting on Bush to call and at the rate that Bush has ran this country, I would not wait on Bush to call anyone. The only call Bush needs to make is why is it that he still in the White House

June 4, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. Rennae, VA

Why would he start acting presidential now?

June 4, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. abn71

To those who argue that Obama needs an angry (for her loss) and hungry (for the power at any cost) woman to get elected, I ask how did he get there without her? I beg and pray that Obama doesn't cede to them and continue with all those who can hear and see what happens. I will enjoy most if Obama wins America without Hillary the greedy, selfish and arrogant woman who thinks that bearing the Clinton's name grant him all the rights.

Go Obama 2008

June 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. Independent woman voter

What a proud moment in our country and in American history. Congratulations Obama.

June 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. rajah kahn

What a HIStORIC EVENT????? First of all, I would like to congratulate this amazing man, Also ,I would like to commend Hillary for her outstanding fight. She is a GREAT lady.. Although, I wished that it was the other way around, it is our duty to support the candidate. Although, I voted for Hillary in the primary, and then eventually liked Barack, it is time now for all of us to put aside our anger and hate and support Mr Barack Obama.

June 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  19. georgia

Rachel,Obama isn't the only person who has "dissed" Bush & rightfully so !

June 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  20. wwf

ab
    What planet do you live on. There must be a padded cell with your name on the door someplace.

June 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  21. Gene( Louisville Ky)

Barack Obama does not "need" hillary clinton she's irrelevant now she is trying to strong arm her way onto the ticket and it's not going to work she can take her 17.5 million voters and wait another 4 years

June 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  22. Here is the Word

Come on now folks

Obama is the second Carter term while McCain is the second Reagan.

Let's get real.

Who wants an Obama/Carter ticket?

Watch your wallet

June 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  23. Changed My Vote to Republican Now!

I didnt want to have to vote republican this election. I was hoping for hillary or even better John Edwards. But I guess I will go with Mccain and Hope world war 3 starts a draft so theres more jobs for me! Gotta look on the bright side of things.

June 4, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  24. abc

Bush won his first election by winning the most electoral votes.
    Gore won the popular vote remember?
    Why should the rules change when Obama beat Hillary by winnig the states that carry the most delegates? Hopefully his losses in the other states were not racially motivated......
    We need a brand new set of eyes in the government Hillary will bring back all the Clinton era appointees.

June 4, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  25. Puddin

Today as students were getting off of the school bus I saw a little with the biggest grin on his face. It was so infectuous that I had to ask "why are you so happy" he said "Barack Obama can be President and I can be anything I want to be too. Validation in the form of a 6 year old boy. Congratulations Barack and Michelle.

June 4, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |