June 5th, 2008

Obama: 'Everybody needs to settle down' about VP choice

CNN

Watch Obama discuss his VP selection process.

(CNN) — Barack Obama said Thursday he's in no rush to pick a vice presidential candidate, telling CNN “everybody needs to settle down" and let the vetting process run its course.

Speaking with CNN's Candy Crowley Thursday, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said it's not in his best interest — or in the interest of his former rival Hillary Clinton — to make a hasty decision about who will serve as his running mate.

"Everybody needs to settle down, we just completed this arduous process," Obama told CNN's Candy Crowley. "It's only been two days, and I think its not just in my interest and Senator Clinton's interest, but in the Democratic Party's interest and the country's interest, to make sure I make this decision well."

Calling his choice of running mate “the most important decision that I will make before I am president,” the senator from Illinois said he would “be deliberate and systematic about it because this will be my final counselor when I am making decisions in the White House, and I want to make sure I get it right."

Many of Clinton’s supporters have publicly called on Obama to put Clinton on the ticket to help unify the party since he captured the nomination Tuesday night, but Obama said he would not respond to pressure from others on who he should choose.

"We have a committee that's made up of wonderful people. They are going to go through the procedure, and vet, and get recommendations. I will meet with a range of a people, and I will ultimately make a decision.

“I am a big believer in making decision well, not making them fast and not responding to pressure," he also said.

Full story

1. TunnelVision

That's sound judgment. Her counsel has been her own worse enemy. He has gone against the status quo and been successful and the real fight is on Now. Clinton is responsible for the rift in the party now trying to use her supporters to achieve her last grasp for power..
    She has not shown the capacity to lead in a new direction and we're heading there with Obama

June 5, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Lorna, NY

You go Obama, Mr. President!

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. George from Minneapolis

This is a very brillant man. It will be obvious to all Americans and the world that Obama possess the character, judgement and common sense to lead America in the right direction.

This is a great time to be an American. And, once Obama is elected things are only going to get better. I am soo happy for little black boys in our country. Obama can always be used as an example of what they can become.

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Unreadable

No to reactionaries and triangulators! No VP for Billary!

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Mcshame

too many dumb opinions i see

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. gl

From Pittsburgh,

I am glad Obama have spoken regarding the VP position and let it be heard to everyone that he will be taking this process of seleting a VP very carefully.

This will be his final counselor when he making decisions in the White House, and he want to make sure he get it right," Obama said.

So I hope from here on, everyboby back off and give Obama his space. As some of you have allowed Hilliary her space.

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Teresa

Not sure if I would vote for Obama even if he selected Hillary as his VP. As a woman, it is hard to swallow a man taking the credit for a woman's ideas and solutions. Per the media, Hillary and Barack have the same ideas; however, they were all originally Hillary's.

There is more than just race in this election, but sexism. I am so disenchanted with the democratic process and I do not see a light at the end of either McCain or Obama's tunnel...what is the point of being a part of the process when outside forces make the ultimate decision.

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Michigan/Florida Hillary supporters for Mccain

Let's see if Obama will not choose Hillary for VP.

Most of the 18 million votes will got to Mccain or not vote at all !

Obamites, you need us (Hillary Supporters) to win the Presidency,
    whether you like it or not. Thus, BE GOOD TO US !!!
    He...he...he...he... he

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. Foreign observer

Solidarity is no communism and social justice is not sozialism. Some Reps even don´t understand the basics.

June 5, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |