June 6th, 2008

Blitzer: Does McCain have a chance in California this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Can John McCain put California in play in the general election?

He does have Arnold Schwarzenegger - a popular twice-elected governor - in his corner.

McCain also has some support in the Latino community given his long-standing backing of comprehensive immigration reform - although since the collapse of the McCain-Kennedy immigration reform legislation, which was backed by President Bush, the Republican candidate has stressed the need for border security first.

The Republican National Committee has been reaching out to the Latino community for years, though with only mixed results. Now the McCain campaign is undertaking its own aggressive outreach.

I recently spoke with Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who acknowledged that the Democrats will have their work cut out for them to make sure California remains solidly blue in November.

But the mayor, a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton’s presidential ambitions, vowed to do whatever he could to help Barack Obama. And he predicted that the Latino voters will represent a major boost for the Democratic candidate. They did support Clinton in overwhelming numbers in the primaries, the mayor said. But that was because they knew and loved her and former President Bill Clinton, and didn’t really know Obama. That, he says, has now changed.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Dal CA

Kali forrNia is out of bounds for Mc Cain.

June 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Kevin Kris, Sunnyvale

Are you kidding me?

There are so many smart people down here in CA and i hope the same in rest of the country.

Yes We Can!

Obama '08 '12

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. Tex, Los Angeles

Senator Obama and his people need to get on the phone with Mayor Villaraigosa NOW. The mayor is a total rock star in Los Angeles and in the Latino community. Senator Obama needs someone like Mayor Villaraigosa - who is bilingual and well-known - to introduce him to Latino voters who might not know Obama well.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. ZKY

If California turns red, which I believe is an event of high probability as a result of Obama's low popularity among asains and latinos and the republican's state machine, democrats are TOAST. This is something I'm sitting back holding my breath for.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Mike

I do not know about Caliifornia but McBush was a joke today in Florida. He had the nerve to take an eco tour of the Evergaldes by Air Boat. I guess he thinks we are too ignorant to know that he voted against the Bill to preserve the Everglades and said it was because he thought it was Government waste. But I guess a never ending war in Iraq is not wastefull.

June 6, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  6. Pat

maybe if he never make's another speech..

June 6, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Mips

Yea McCain's only chance is to send diebold lots of money so they will cheat for this republican president just like the last two elections. There are so many voting irregularities it makes me sick. From the Democratic primary, there are African American neighborhoods in brooklyn that are recorded as giving Obama 0% of the vote. How does this crap still go on and nobody does anything.

June 6, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Brad - California

What a joke – a governor who can't do a thing shaking the hand of a presidential candidate who has never done a thing.

And Wolf's article refers to "Arnold Schwarzenegger — a popular twice-elected governor."

Twice elected? Yes. Popular? No. Poor Mr. Blitzer has a lot to learn about the pulse of California.

June 6, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. jane in CA

NO. Republicans will vote for Obama.

June 6, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Tom, Boston

hedge your bet and turn your coat one more time, blitzer!

June 6, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Buckeye Girl 4 Obama

McBu$h hasn't got a snowflakes chance in.....well, you can guess where! Sorry, Bu$h & Clinton fans, McOldManYellsAtClouds is going to be CREAMED by Obama nationwide, come November!

June 6, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. john in LA

CA is a progressive state that isn't going to regress in November unless McCain positions himself as a moderate (which he isn't) and scares Latinos and Asians into voting against Obama. Even though Hillary trounced Obama in the February primary here, thanks largely to huge majorities among Latinos and Asians, recent polls show Obama is now more popular than Hillary in CA. Which continues the trend of Obama performing well when people get to know him better.

June 6, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. D-Weezy - OH

McSame doesn't stand a chane in California. Cali belongs to the Dems. By the way...McSame is not GOP; he's more like GOB. Think about it Cali.

June 6, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. richard

NO WAY!!! i live here in Cali and i already got Obama supporters working for him down here.. Obama will win California and thats a fact..

June 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  15. Anne E.

Does the man whose speeches can put people to sleep have a chance? Not a snowball's in Hades.
    This guy gets worse the more speeches he gives.
    Keep up those speaking engagements, Gramps!!

June 6, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. Teacher in CA

"If bumper stickers in Sacramento are any indication, approximately one out of every ten cars have Obama stickers. I've only seen two McCain stickers over the past month."

In my county I see Obama stickers everywhere. I have only ever seen two or three Hillary stickers and, I kid you not, only one McCain.

June 6, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  17. Another Buckeye 4 Obama

With the shape my country is in, no jobs, soldiers dying for a lie, high food, high gas just to name a few, if this country puts any of them (republicans) in office, we deserve exactly as we get. The trouble is, I and all of my children and grandchildren will suffer. Along with the poor soldiers who will have to bomb, bomb bombbomb bomb Iran.

June 6, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  18. Allen

I don't think Pastor Hagee is popular in California.

In my view, McCain offers a third Bush term with the possibility of Romney destroying social security.

June 6, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  19. susa

McRigid win California? I doubt it.
    Obama has run a completely organised, intelligent, strategic campaign, and I think it reflects well on his governing skills.
    On the other hand the Republican presumptive nominee has gone from a Maverick to a conservative to get his parties nomination to now pandering to Hillary's supporters to win the election – and now jettisoning some of the many lobbyists who have been directing his campaign.

I don't know any Republicans that are crazy about him. Even the independents who liked him say never mind what he is saying now – he is only doing it to get the conservatives on board and when he is in office – then he can do what he likes.
    Hmmm. Not a resounding vote of confidence there. "Never mind what he says, he doesn't really mean it."

*****JOHN MCCAIN – LIKE BUSH, BUT OLDER*****

June 6, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  20. Daniel

Cali, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, West VA, TX are all going to McCain, us dems have no chance now. 18 million voted in this country for hillary, more than McCain and Obama but the two with the least votes are somehow in the race. Its about time we count votes and not delagets. del count does not reflect the will of the people. Just the will ove the most populated city areas, us small town folks have no chance in the world, we better pray and we better stick to our guns because by the time these two have at it and one is chosen i beleave we will still be left out.

Here is a prayer for us little folks.

GodBless us everyone

June 6, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Paul C.

I feel that McCain has a very good chance of being our next president.
    There is a lot of truth in the saying that you can't go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the American voters. After all..they voted for GW Bush .. twice ... for the most asinine reasons.
    I hear a lot of Democrats saying they will vote for McCain because "he has more experience" and they "don't like what the Democratic party did to the Florida voters in the primary; as if the Republican party didn't do the same. No, I just don't think the voters can reach down and vote for a (half) black candidate.

June 6, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. Pat

Of course McCain does. He's also going to have a strong chance of winning Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan which means he's going to walk to the White House. Obama is not as popular as he or his supporters think he is.

June 6, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Peter E

"Ooo, I can misspell McCain's name to incorporate Bush. I am such a smart guy. I am so clever at putting 'Mc' before other insulting words. And I'm sure I am demonstrating all the positive message of hope and change of my candidate, Obama, by making these super-clever personal attacks against his opponents."

June 6, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Ratgurl

McCain? In Cali? Sure, if you take away all the young people, all the educated people, and all the "minorities". The 20% remaining (old, rich, white, republicans) *might* vote for him & THEN he'll win!

Here in Cali, no one's impressed with Arnie – he took away our funding for EDUCATION!!! This, I remind you, is the platform on which he ran his campaign! No one cares what he says anymore.

June 6, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. leslie

I live in the SF Bay Area. It's Obama all the way here. My friends in LA are big Obama supporters, too. The former Hillary supporters I know are voting for Obama. It makes no sense to support Hillary and then vote for McCain.

June 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |